Kings scrap T-Shirt giveaway after deemed insensitive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there is a way to have any kind of monkeys on a t-shirt and not offend anyone, right? Or are we getting too sensitive nowadays? (I'm Chinese and coming from a Chinese prospective, so any of you can chime in)
Yeah I'm not sure what the deal was ... I only read the report on NBA.com. If it was just a matter of timing - not wanting the 1st day of Black history month to be "overshadowed" then I can somewhat understand. But that's about it. I'm Chinese as well.

The different Asians cultures that follow the lunar new year would like to apologize to Boogie Cousins and everyone of African decent. When we thought of this calendar system thousands of years ago we did not take into account the connotation of racism that others have used for it. Also we apologize for the disrespect shown to Black History month by placing our new year so close to it. Please forgive us our insensitivity.
From someone on Facebook that I thought was funny.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
It seems to me this "controversy" has been about optics not any act of racism at least as far as the shirts themselves and their give away. Boogie (or anyone else that I have read for that matter) is not saying that the shirts were racist, the issue is how it could look to some for the fans to be wearing shirts with a monkey on them as we begin Black History Month, a time when most teams in the league are wearing shirts that are printed with the words "Black History" or similar concepts. The Warriors successfully honered the Lunar New Year with out using the image of the monkey, I would suspect for this very reason. My point is that this is not about anyone acting racist, it is about the ability to step back and ask the mature questions; "Could this message easily be seen in a way that is harmful?" and "Is this an image I still want to create?." Like the decision or not, the immature, hot head, cancer to the team very likely saved the owners and PR department from a considerable amount of flack had they gone forward with the giveaway, and ironically once again all the heat and blame can be heaped on DMC's considerable shoulders.

Those who use the term "Political Correctness" swing the term like a cudgel to defend their right to say what ever they want with no responsibility for the consequences of those words. I can not think of a soul who describes themselves as politically correct even people who believe that indeed their politics are in fact correct. No one is disputing anyone's right to freedom of speech, but what I would suggest is that everyone benefits when we think before we act or speak reflecting on the questions: Is this helpful?, is it kind? and is it necessary? I have long held that James Madison got the country off to a bumpy start with a constitution with a Bill of Rights but without an accompanying Bill of Responsibilities. In short I am free to wear my necktie with Paul Gauguin's "Native Women Bearing Fruit" (one of my favorite paintings). I am free to teach adults with the tie on and it might even be helpful in some courses, while offensive in others. Should I wear it when I visit my wife in her 1st Grade Classroom...

Last edited:
The NBA has started promoting the Chinese New Year. Teams playing right now are playing in their uniforms with Chinese on it. They are running Happy Chinese New Year commercials on ESPN with Steph Curry and Jeremy Lin. This is part of the NBA's initiative to keep the NBA popular in China. The Kings were just following along with the NBA's overall promotion.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The NBA has started promoting the Chinese New Year. Teams playing right now are playing in their uniforms with Chinese on it. They are running Happy Chinese New Year commercials on ESPN with Steph Curry and Jeremy Lin. This is part of the NBA's initiative to keep the NBA popular in China. The Kings were just following along with the NBA's overall promotion.
If the Kings had planned it for tonight, when everyone else seems to be doing it, there would have been no problem. Again, somebody in the public relations department dropped the ball. I wonder what's going to happen to all those t-shirts since they're not on the seats tonight. Hrm... e-Bay anyone? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.