[Game] Kings @ Rockets - Saturday, Nov. 17 - 5:00 PM PT

Houston's success is based on three things: 1) Getting an incredible amount of foul calls; 2) the pick and roll, and 3) the 3 point shot. The first two are their security blankets. If they think they can get a foul call whenever they want or the pick and roll whenever they want, then they have no pressure at all to hit their outside shots. With no pressure, the basket becomes as large as the Pacific Ocean. The way you can win against them is put your hands back (like the Spurs do) to prevent stupid fouls, and know how to defend their pick and roll. Then you take your chances with their 3 point shooting. The Kings allowed ALL THREE of the Rocket's strengths to be on full display tonight. In addition, the Rockets beat them in fast break points, in many cases with Capela running the floor. So the Rockets did everything they wanted and beat the Kings at their own game to boot.
Their whole attack is predicated on getting a switch. They seek out the worst pick and roll defender and create the mismatch. They do it over and over. Harden and Paul didn't beat the primary man assigned to them, Shump and D-Fox, too many times that I can recall. They did beat Bjelica and Willie like a drum. Why should an opponent not attack the weak link mercilessly? Who is Willie guarding? Whoever he is guarding goes to set the pick. If they don't force the switch, set the pick again. Eventually the switch occurs and then it is feast time. Get Willie on an island then expose him due to his poor lateral mobility, rotation back and close out. We had NO answer for this. None. It is concerning Bjelica, Giles and Willie are so poor in pick and roll defense. They have to figure it out or we need new players who can. Bagley shows nice potential as a defender. I have a lot of confidence in him, not so much in the other guys.

Here is how Harden did it (the 100 points he got from the free throw line are not included). The best defensive plays vs Harden are those where the defender manages to avoid Harden seeking contact and gets out of the way to avoid the +1:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Their whole attack is predicated on getting a switch. They seek out the worst pick and roll defender and create the mismatch. They do it over and over. Harden and Paul didn't beat the primary man assigned to them, Shump and D-Fox, too many times that I can recall. They did beat Bjelica and Willie like a drum. Why should an opponent not attack the weak link mercilessly? Who is Willie guarding? Whoever he is guarding goes to set the pick. If they don't force the switch, set the pick again. Eventually the switch occurs and then it is feast time. Get Willie on an island then expose him due to his poor lateral mobility, rotation back and close out. We had NO answer for this. None. It is concerning Bjelica, Giles and Willie are so poor in pick and roll defense. They have to figure it out or we need new players who can. Bagley shows nice potential as a defender. I have a lot of confidence in him, not so much in the other guys.
Maybe you are right and WCS is congenitally unable because of poor lateral quickness to ever guard Capela in these pick and roll situations. At this point, I still think he *can* do it, I just think that he doesn't put in the time and the work to actually do it. Maybe that's the dilemma of WCS - you just aren't exactly sure what he's physically capable of doing so you don't know if it's a "between the ears" problem with him rather than physical limitations.

Willie and poor lateral mobility do not belong in the same sentence. Give the man credit that's his one unique ability. His lack of shotblocking makes him less effective against driving guards for sure though. That's where Bagley has shown more potential. He tracks the ball to the rim much better. The Kings pick and roll defense has been iffy for a long time now. Giles is a bit of a conern. He gets stuck to the floor sometimes and relies on reaching in. I'm not sure if it was intended but he played off a few pick and rolls in a zone. This is a team thing right now. Some bit of personnel probably effects it but them attempting to go over every pick and roll is one of those things that either works alright or it gives the other team everything they want. They did start to play the on ball defender towards the off hand of the guard in an ice style set and that showed some potential but it was far too late and if the Kings aren't rolling on offense their defense will be effected.

The last couple of posts are right on.
The Kings struggle with basic team defense and the P&R. Houston is really good at it though and the go right at Willie like the Blob pointed out.
Paul and Harden have perfected the art of drawing fouls. It changes everything. It makes the defense tentative. They are both quicker than they look. Matching up with them is tough. You cannot trade baskets with them. I thought the Kings defense last night was unwatchable.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The game was the first one in probably two decades that I have missed simply because I forgot that it was on. I didn't expect us to win but I really wanted to see how they did against Houston, especially after the Grizzlies.

Onward and upward. I LOVE THIS TEAM!