Kings Pre-Draft Workout: Greg Monroe

Thanks for the link. He said they mostly had him shooting? I would have thought the bigger question with him would be interior toughness, thought they would have gone at him inside. He still seemed keyed up there too didn't he? He needed a sip of whatever Aminu is drinking to settle down.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the link. He said they mostly had him shooting? I would have thought the bigger question with him would be interior toughness, thought they would have gone at him inside. He still seemed keyed up there too didn't he? He needed a sip of whatever Aminu is drinking to settle down.
When you doing an individual workout, who preytell are you going to compete against to show your interior toughness. Thats the problem with individual workouts. About all you can do is show off your offensive skills.

When you doing an individual workout, who preytell are you going to compete against to show your interior toughness. Thats the problem with individual workouts. About all you can do is show off your offensive skills.

Guess I'm misunderstanding what the term "individual workout" means. In my mind it included working out against the team but not against other prospects.

Guess I'm misunderstanding what the term "individual workout" means. In my mind it included working out against the team but not against other prospects.
I'm pretty sure I read something last year that team members are not allowed to participate in draft prospect workouts. League-wide, not just with the Kings.

I'm pretty sure I read something last year that team members are not allowed to participate in draft prospect workouts. League-wide, not just with the Kings.
Bizarre. Then yeah I see little to be gained from individual workouts unless you question a prospect's ability to hit open shots.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yep.

I was lucky enough to see multiple-players doing their pre-draft workout at the same time last year, but there still wasn't much focus on defense.

It is weird, but I might have a little bit of bias because too many people are saying he is another softie.

I felt that this kid is saying he is ready for the money, but not in the NBA. His demeanor does not project any confidence and he actually looks very soft and weak the way he talks and move his head. I hope Petrie does not pick him at #5 or I'll be frustrated again watching another softie gets pushed around inside the paint.

What will it be this time. Soggy doughnut?

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
It is weird, but I might have a little bit of bias because too many people are saying he is another softie.

I felt that this kid is saying he is ready for the money, but not in the NBA. His demeanor does not project any confidence and he actually looks very soft and weak the way he talks and move his head. I hope Petrie does not pick him at #5 or I'll be frustrated again watching another softie gets pushed around inside the paint.

I'm not about to defend him, because he's not first on my list, and I still have reservations about him. However if you ever heard an interview with Greg Oden, he sounds very similar. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on how they sound in an interview. Hey, he might surprise us all and be much better than advertized.

LMAo, took the words out of my mouth :eek:

Ha-ha, the level of analysis has reached myopic proportions when we are evaluating a player on how he sways his head side-to-side!

All I want to hear is a degree of intelligence and coherence and maturity when a player answers questions, and I think we get that from Greg Monroe, except....

When asked how did you know you were ready to turn pro, he wiffed. After his freshman year, he chose to return. After his sophomore year, he sat down at the dinner table with his family, and chose to go pro. Not a lot of substance to his response, maybe the meal was bologna sandwich or Mac and Cheese, and the family was ready for lobster and New York fillet.

By the way, although the current Kings cannot partake by league rule, the Kings have two former players on the staff that can get out on the court and see what these prospects got to offer: Bobby Jackson and Shareef Abdur-Rahim. I bet Shareef and Monroe did light contact work and moves in the post. A dummy defender is common in these types of pre-draft drills.

Just because they are retired doesn't mean they forgot what it takes to make it in the NBA. I think B-Jax and Shareef will both be valuable in offering their opinions to Geoff on all the guys who come into tryout.