Kings Playoff Standings Watch!!!

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Did any of the games tonight change the magic number? I know Captain will have an update soon enough and I could do math to figure out on my own, but if anyone has the quick answer, it would save me from going round about.
Coming in a few minutes. A couple of magic numbers dropped. Hold on for a sec and I'll have it.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Kings Playoff Tracker

Note that teams are listed in order of the Kings' magic number, which is affected by tiebreakers, so the order may be slightly different than the order in the actual standings. Eliminated teams will be removed from the tracker after one day.

Please note that the best conference win% tiebreaker may be pre-empted by division standings, because division winners get the second tiebreaker over non-division winners.

Today's games (8):
DEN def. Wizards
GSW def. DAL
MEM def. Rockets
MIN def. Hawks
Blazers def. UTA
LAL def. PHX

Magic Number To Eliminate (TB=TieBreaker):
DEN (49-24) 16, 9 games remaining, TB 1-1, 1 to play (winner gets TB)
MEM (45-27) 13, 10 games remaining, TB 2-2 (Kings get TB unless Grizz win division and Kings don't)
SAC (43-29) --, 10 games remaining
PHX (38-34) 6, 10 games remaining, TB 1-2 (best division win% gets TB if tied)
LAC (38-35) 4, 9 games remaining, TB=Kings
GSW (38-36) 4, 8 games remaining, TB 1-2, 1 to play (winner gets TB)
--- Playoffs ---
MIN (37-37) 3, 9 games remaining, TB=T'Wolves
OKC (36-36) 3, 10 games remaining, TB=Kings
DAL (36-37) 3, 9 games remaining, TB 1-1, 1 to play (winner gets TB)
NOP (35-37) 3, 10 games remaining, TB 1-1, 1 to play (winner gets TB)
--- Play-In Games ---
UTA (35-37) 3, 10 games remaining, TB 2-1, 1 to play (best conference win% gets TB if tied)
LAL (36-37) 2, 9 games remaining, TB=Kings

Tomorrow's games (3):
Hornets at NOP, 5 PM
OKC at LAC, 7:30 PM

De'Aaron Fox has 22 FTA in the last 4 games
Domas Sabonis has 31 FTA in the last 4 games

Austin ****ing Reaves has the same number of FTA as two all-stars and guys who make their living in the paint.

At least the NBA isn't trying to hide their attempt to get the Lakers into the playoffs now. They're just leaning into it now. No ****s given.

It's a shame to because I think Reaves is actually a pretty good role player. But this crap is getting out of hand

Austin ****ing Reaves has the same number of FTA as two all-stars and guys who make their living in the paint.

At least the NBA isn't trying to hide their attempt to get the Lakers into the playoffs now. They're just leaning into it now. No ****s given.

It's a shame to because I think Reaves is actually a pretty good role player. But this crap is getting out of hand
I don't think you understand how good of a player Austin Riviera is. Did you see the game against the Suns? He FAKED a pass to one person - and then - get this - PASSED TO ANOTHER PERSON. It was amazing. My jaw was on the floor. I don't think I've ever seen that in the game of baketball. Pete Maravich level talent in a Michael Jordan body.

With this level of blatant ref tampering going on for the Lakers, that is exactly why I would NOT want to face the Lakers in the playoffs. It would be 8 on 5 every game and the refs handing the Lakers a pass to the 2nd round!!!

The Jazz game was unfortunate, and you'd hope they played the Celtics better than that. The Suns game is again supremely important for seeding and tiebreaker. It is still the largest game left on schedule. A 3-game losing streak could open the door for a meltdown too in which the Kings could give up even more seeding. Suns losing to the Lakers will probably light a fire under Suns for the game..

Kings bench needs to get focused on offense....they've had 2 poor games in a row, and against the Suns they'll lose another one if that persists. Against the Jazz, Sabonis had a poor game which gave the Jazz enough leeway to win coupled with the bench's weak outing. The Suns are better than the Jazz. Although Edwards is a good defender, his offense is not as consistent as Huerter's, and you couple that with Monk in a mini-funk, and Davis too inconsistent, so the Kings are faltering. Huerter had picked up the offensive slack of late even in losing games. You'd hope Edwards can fill-in on offense, but probably asking too much.; not the same for Monk, who you know can shoot alot better.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
With PG out for at least a couple weeks and the Suns losing last night, I think it's very likely the Kings stay as the #3 seed and the Clippers drop to #6 with the Warriors moving up to #5. Things are bunched up enough that the Thunder (who have been hot) or the T'Wolves (with KAT back) move up to #6 and force LAC into the play-in tournament.

But my best guess is that the Kings meet the Clips in round 1.

Last edited:

Ryan

I like turtles
With PG out for at least a couple weeks and the Suns losing last night, I think it's very likely the Kings stay as the #3 seed and the Clippers drop to #6 with the Warrior moving up to #5. Things are bunched up enough that the Thunder (who have been hot) or the T'Wolves (with KAT back) move up to #6 and force LAC into the play-in tournament.

I'm fine with that!

The Free Throw Attempt disparity in the Lakers last 5 games is certainly eye opening.

Lakers 46 Suns 20
Lakers 32 Magic 17
Lakers 31 Mavs 19
Lakers 37 Rockets 19
Lakers 28 Pelicans 20

And they lost the Rockets and Mavs games :p

I did a little more digging and to no surprise the Lakers lead the league with a +5.3 FTA differential. The next closest is Miami and (surprisingly) Kings at +2.4. Most of the league falls into the -2.0 to +2.0 range with Lakers being outliers at +5.3 and Warriors at opposite end at -5.2.

Last edited:
The Free Throw Attempt disparity in the Lakers last 5 games is certainly eye opening.

Lakers 46 Suns 20
Lakers 32 Magic 17
Lakers 31 Mavs 19
Lakers 37 Rockets 19
Lakers 28 Pelicans 20

And they lost the Rockets and Mavs games :p

I did a little more digging and to no surprise the Lakers lead the league with a +5.3 FTA differential. The next closest is Miami and (surprisingly) Kings at +2.4. Most of the league falls into the -2.0 to +2.0 range with Lakers being outliers at +5.3 and Warriors at opposite end at -5.2.
Wow. I see a really savvy veteran team who knows how to draw fouls! :rolleyes:

With PG out for at least a couple weeks and the Suns losing last night, I think it's very likely the Kings stay as the #3 seed and the Clippers drop to #6 with the Warriors moving up to #5. Things are bunched up enough that the Thunder (who have been hot) or the T'Wolves (with KAT back) move up to #6 and force LAC into the play-in tournament.

The Suns and Kings finishes will be heavily influenced by Saturday's result. Looks like Ayton was injured on Wed -- said hip injury. That's a big vacancy especially on offense. Lakers got a break. If out Saturday, Kings will too.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Suns and Kings finishes will be heavily influenced by Saturday's result. Looks like Ayton was injured on Wed -- said hip injury. That's a big vacancy especially on offense. Lakers got a break. If out Saturday, Kings will too.
ESPN currently has Ayton as doubtful for Friday's game.

Huerter too.

If they are fully healthy, the Suns are a championship caliber team. But beyond that, they are just a bad matchup for the Kings.

No one in the league can stop Durant, but the Kings are also especially weak defensively at SG and struggle to keep Booker from going off. CP3 is still a pretty good defender at PG which is tough when Fox is your go to scorer, but most of all, it's that Ayton provides a lot of interior protection where Sabonis struggles to get going.