Kings Playoff Standings Watch!!!

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
We are 5.5 games up in the tie breaker.
We are closer to losing the tiebreaker by virtue of not winning the Pacific Division but the Grizz winning the Southwest Division. If we tie at 2/3, it should be ours. But if Phoenix passes us and we tie 3/4, it would go to Memphis.

2 seed is wonderful, but we are like the Eastern Conference teams when the Kings were good back in the early 2000s. Didn't an 8th seed Knicks team below .500 make it to the finals?

edit: stand corrected.. They were 27-23 in the lockout year and 8th seed, but made to finals.
Not quite the same thing.

The West is a freaking meat grinder. With a lot more parity. The East is top heavy.

Back in the early 2000’s, the East just wasn’t very good. Most the elite talent was in the West.

The reverse is not the case in the here and now. Most of the elite talent is still in the West.

What a difference there is in the NBA today. On ESPCNN’s headlines, it actually reads “propels Lakers to the 9th seed”.

Un-freaking-real.
I laughed out loud when I saw that. How the mighty have fallen.

In any case, only two teams in the West have ginormous fanbase (Lakers and Warriors) as evidenced by viewership stats. Clicks drive revenue for the media and they had to highlight those two teams to stay afloat. This is the sad reality.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Not quite the same thing.

The West is a freaking meat grinder. With a lot more parity. The East is top heavy.

Back in the early 2000’s, the East just wasn’t very good. Most the elite talent was in the West.

The reverse is not the case in the here and now. Most of the elite talent is still in the West.
True. To make things worse just before the trade deadline there was a massive bleeding of talent from east to west. So when you look at the standings today it's pretty clear who you're top three in the East are and will be, but in the West even that safe number one Denver is going to have to watch out in the playoffs..

Last edited:
I laughed out loud when I saw that. How the mighty have fallen.

In any case, only two teams in the West have ginormous fanbase (Lakers and Warriors) as evidenced by viewership stats. Clicks drive revenue for the media and they had to highlight those two teams to stay afloat. This is the sad reality.
The viewership stats are a reflection of the teams and narratives they push. Young people are impressionable. When they never show highlights of the KINGS or other young, upcoming and more exciting teams in favor of the ones they deem as “brands” — what else should be expected?

Start covering all teams equally, or at least those that are winning in a given season, then see what happens.

12 years ago most of the general NBA fanbase didn’t know or care about the Warriors.

Winning changes everything, of course. But so does exposure and coverage. The LAL are a great example of this, as they’ve largely been irrelevant for the past 10 years. They have two playoff appearances over that time.

But since the coverage of that franchise has never stopped — the viewership is still there. The same could be done for other franchises but they refuse to do it. Even the NY Knicks didn’t get half of the same attention the past decade. So it’s not just about market size.

It’s one thing for ESPCNN to offer biased and lopsided coverage, but what’s the excuse for NBATV? They need to be covering ALL their teams. Or at the very least the relevant teams in a given season.

Regardless, circling back to the original point, the fact that the 9th seed is being highlighted and applauded is downright laughable.

The viewership stats are a reflection of the teams and narratives they push. Young people are impressionable. When they never show highlights of the KINGS or other young, upcoming and more exciting teams in favor of the ones they deem as “brands” — what else should be expected?

Start covering all teams equally, or at least those that are winning in a given season, then see what happens.

12 years ago most of the general NBA fanbase didn’t know or care about the Warriors.

Winning changes everything, of course. But so does exposure and coverage. The LAL are a great example of this, as they’ve largely been irrelevant for the past 10 years. They have two playoff appearances over that time.

But since the coverage of that franchise has never stopped — the viewership is still there. The same could be done for other franchises but they refuse to do it. Even the NY Knicks didn’t get half of the same attention the past decade. So it’s not just about market size.

It’s one thing for ESPCNN to offer biased and lopsided coverage, but what’s the excuse for NBATV? They need to be covering ALL their teams. Or at the very least the relevant teams in a given season.

Regardless, circling back to the original point, the fact that the 9th seed is being highlighted and applauded is downright laughable.
12 years ago a bunch of tech bros bought the warriors and treated it like a startup - complete with advanced marketing and proper funding - and pulled political strings to get an arena in SF. It really was a great investment opportunity. It also did have a large built in fanbase that wasn't being fully monetized (Bay Area). But all of that is to your point... narratives/exposure can be created.

12 years ago a bunch of tech bros bought the warriors and treated it like a startup - complete with advanced marketing and proper funding - and pulled political strings to get an arena in SF. It really was a great investment opportunity. It also did have a large built in fanbase that wasn't being fully monetized (Bay Area). But all of that is to your point... narratives/exposure can be created.
You can say much of the same re: the KINGS under Vivek. Except that he got in the way (allegedly) and didn’t surround himself with good basketball people.

Because of that, winning wasn’t happening and, of course, no exposure or positive narratives could come from it.

Tied for 2nd, right? Or are actually the current OUTRIGHT 2nd seed? If the playoffs started today, I think we'd get bumped down to the 3rd seed because of our head-to-head record against Memphis.

Regardless...Being tied with someone for that 2nd seed this late in the season is something to be proud of, and I don't want my questions/comments above to diminish this fact. As I've stated in various parts of this forum...This season has been WILD!!!
Our head to head record against them is 2-2

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Some of tonight’s games if they swing right will definitely help our cause. But what ever happens tonight it will help.
I love that i the time of year were the west starts knocking each other around a little more.

We have gone 6 of 7 since the all star game. I expect a few more tough ones from the next few games but I have faith our guys are go to be as ready for it as they see the light BEAM at the end of the tunnel.
There. Fixed it for you. :)

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
"2 seed after 3/4th of the season" is definitely worth hanging a banner in the rafters
Well, if before the season you had offered even odds of whether the Kings would be in either first or second place in the WC after 3/4 of the season, I'd have put a lot of money on "no". It's not worth a "You're killing me, Buster", but we should be very pleased with the results to far.

Man, watching this Lakers/Grizzlies game….neither of these teams look very good right now. Grizzlies with no Ja, Clarke or Adams is average at best. Lakers without Lebron are .500 at best. Looks like we’re moving to #2 before this night is over!!!
I like Vanderbilt....very long, athletic, and good defender. Reaves is pretty good, kinda reminds me of old school Stockton.

I like Vanderbilt....very long, athletic, and good defender. Reaves is pretty good, kinda reminds me of old school Stockton.
I watched end of the 3rd and all the 4th quarter of last nights game and don’t think I heard Vanderbilts name called once, in fact I’m not even sure Darvin Ham played him at all in the time I was watching. But yeah, I agree. He’s a nice piece. Reaves is decent too but if you’re starting both of those guys or relying on both of them for heavy minutes, you’re probably not a contender or are a fringe playoff team. Vanderbilt could be a starter on a contender with the right pieces around him though.

Let’s go Pelicans. Get that W vs the Mavs!

Blazers getting rolled by the Celtics. Blazers schedule the next 9 games before their B2B with us is brutal. They will probably go 2-7 or even 1-8.

Well, if before the season you had offered even odds of whether the Kings would be in either first or second place in the WC after 3/4 of the season, I'd have put a lot of money on "no". It's not worth a "You're killing me, Buster", but we should be very pleased with the results to far.
yeah thank god no one did. I could have lost a fortune :oops:

I watched end of the 3rd and all the 4th quarter of last nights game and don’t think I heard Vanderbilts name called once, in fact I’m not even sure Darvin Ham played him at all in the time I was watching. But yeah, I agree. He’s a nice piece. Reaves is decent too but if you’re starting both of those guys or relying on both of them for heavy minutes, you’re probably not a contender or are a fringe playoff team. Vanderbilt could be a starter on a contender with the right pieces around him though.
I heard we tried to grab him with no luck.

Mavs now 5.5 back with only 1 H-H match-up left. Starting to get to that point where we're out of reach for them to catch us.

In an ideal world, we take over the 2 slot from MEM and they hold off PHX and GSW from taking the 3 seed. Keeping DEN-GSW-PHX on the other side of the bracket would be perfect.