Kings Playoff Standings Watch!!!

Yeah, every NBA team has nights where they "just don't got it." The Minny game, though winnable, felt very much like one of those nights. It's a credit to Mike Brown and the resiliency of this Kings team that far more often than not, they are in every game, even the ones where they start flat or seem uninspired. The Wolves only won by 4 in a game that the Kings quite honestly deserved to lose. I'll take that fight and that 4th quarter determination as an extremely positive sign heading into the playoffs.
Well said Sir.

Yeah, every NBA team has nights where they "just don't got it." The Minny game, though winnable, felt very much like one of those nights. It's a credit to Mike Brown and the resiliency of this Kings team that far more often than not, they are in every game, even the ones where they start flat or seem uninspired. The Wolves only won by 4 in a game that the Kings quite honestly deserved to lose. I'll take that fight and that 4th quarter determination as an extremely positive sign heading into the playoffs.
I sold my tickets to a buddy, and we were texting after the game. I basically said something to the effect of. There were 3 points of that game where any previous iteration of this team would have rolled over. As a fan, I expected that to happen. The fact that not only this did not happen, but they had a chance to win in the last minute of that game, with how awful they played defense and how great Minny shot the ball, is honestly amazing to me.

They don't give up. They were toast in that game. They had low energy. Fox was tired and made mistakes. Yet, somehow we put up 134 and shot 50% from 3. Like, that doesn't make sense.

I predict even before Minnesota win against the Kings that they along with the Clippers are going to take the 5th and 6th spot. And Dallas and GS will drop to the Play-In positions. GS schedule is tough the next 7 or 8 games.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
why assume they don't catch the Griz too and the Kings still pass the Grizz?
Ya, good point. Wasn’t thinking of the Ja nonsense when I posted. Before that I never had us catching the Grizz, figured they were too good and would self-correct from their struggles. They’ve proven to be very capable without Ja, but now there’s a whole different cloud over them that could drag everything down.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Ya, good point. Wasn’t thinking of the Ja nonsense when I posted. Before that I never had us catching the Grizz, figured they were too good and would self-correct from their struggles. They’ve proven to be very capable without Ja, but now there’s a whole different cloud over them that could drag everything down.
There was a point around the time we rolled into third where they were practically tied with Denver. They've been on a slow fall so all that remains to be seen is if Ja and Brandon Clarke's injury push them off a cliff. Also looks like Brooks is now over the technical foul threshold, so I believe he will get suspended every two techs from this point forward?

I can't believe I'm going to have to root for the Lakers to beat Memphis on Tuesday but that's where we're at come on Lakers!
They owe us much more than a win tonight, but if they help us on the way to Restoring The Universe, we can accept that. Consider it like a thief who deep down feels guilty and is secretly (or unconsciously) making amends without having to admit guilt. Crime and Punishment/Dostoevsky type stuff. I like to get literary every now and again.

You know, they know, you know they know, and they know you know.

Last edited:
I was optimistic coming into the season (for the play-in). After the first 4 games, I thought we’d be in a disaster/blow it up situation, and before the All-Star break I thought there is no way we’d hold on to a top 4 spot. Now I think we will hold on to #3 (I think the Suns will take #2).

Go Kings

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Team has been overdue to cross 40 since Joerger's final season. Just because people refuse to pay attention they want to act like the loyalists are stupid.

If Monte doesn't get cute this offseason and try to push everything in too early and make the wrong move, we should be looking at least as long of a window as the Adelman era, and it already feels like we are about where Adelman was in year 3. It may be a little too optimistic to think about WCF and beyond for next year but at the same time if we got to the WCF this year it wouldn't be a total stunner - since November we're one of the most consistent teams in the NBA - running a nice little marathon. Everyone keeps waiting for us to break down but reality is we just keep on plugging away without needing some crazy 10 game win streak or going on a multigame skid. Running out of time to be proven a fluke.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Now I think we will hold on to #3 (I think the Suns will take #2).
There's a certain ring of fate to this being the outcome, and yet if we just do what we've been doing and manage to split the remaining games with the Suns, we can take that 2.

Even with HCA I am not sure I like us in a 7 game series with them though. Probably have the coaching advantage, which is fascinating given the amount of heat many of us gave to Vlade for overlooking Monty (who was apparently interested) in his rush to hire that Walton boy.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I think that's a bit of a stretch. In Adelman year 3 we won 55 games and finished the season with a +5.8 +/- rating. Maybe more like Adelman year 2?
In Y3 we finished a 4 seed iirc and played Lakers in round 2.

I Y2 we finished an 8 seed and played them in round 1 (or was it 7/2?). Never had a realistic chance at advancing while this year depending on the first round matchup I would be sad but understand if we get upset and don't advance, we have a very realistic shot of winning a playoff series this year.

Realistically we are in between these two years - which is why I don't expect us to make a WCF run before year 3. But we have a legit shot of getting second round experience and even sneaking into the WCF prematurely if we hang onto a top 3 seed.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
In Y3 we finished a 4 seed iirc and played Lakers in round 2.

I Y2 we finished an 8 seed and played them in round 1 (or was it 7/2?). Never had a realistic chance at advancing while this year depending on the first round matchup I would be sad but understand if we get upset and don't advance, we have a very realistic shot of winning a playoff series this year.

Realistically we are in between these two years - which is why I don't expect us to make a WCF run before year 3. But we have a legit shot of getting second round experience and even sneaking into the WCF prematurely if we hang onto a top 3 seed.
In Y3 we were a 3-seed, the Lakers finished one game ahead of us and were the 2-seed, which is why we got them in round 2.

In Y2 we were the 8th seed, and finished 6 games over (44-38) but we came into our last 8 games 12 games over (43-31) and then absolutely got blasted, losing 7 of the last 8. Of course, that 43-31 record was only good for 7th place that year at the time...if we equal 43-31 this year that would be at worst a tie for 4th/5th, and that's only if the Warriors run off 9 straight...6th place and worse already have 32 losses.

The point being - aside from a terrible tank at the end of the season, we're about where we were record wise in Y2 of Adelman right now - we're doing much better in the standings, but that's because there's a ton of mediocrity this year in the West.

Of course, on the other hand the Lakers pummelled us in the playoffs in Y3 in the same way (or worse) than we would expect to be pummelled by Denver this year...but I think that was quite a disappointment and we should have done better.

So I don't know if things should ever map one-to-one onto the past, but Y4 Adelman we had the best record in the league and we all know we would have won the championship if it weren't for Game 6, and Y5 we were one win down from best record in the league and would have won if Webber didn't blow his knee out. So if we're the equivalent of Y3 now, does that mean we're legit-everything-but-the-refs contenders next year? That's why I feel like we're a bit behind that schedule.

It feels like whenever we don’t have a game, there’s a large round of games that have key Playoff race implications. Tonight’s slate:

Philadelphia @ Minnesota (TNT)
Golden State @ Oklahoma City
Utah @ Dallas
Memphis @ LA Lakers (TNT)

Pretty clear who to root for tonight from a Kings perspective. Philly, OKC, Utah and the Lakers (sadly) are who we want to win. Cool to see two key games on TNT for us to watch, as well.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
In Y3 we were a 3-seed, the Lakers finished one game ahead of us and were the 2-seed, which is why we got them in round 2.

In Y2 we were the 8th seed, and finished 6 games over (44-38) but we came into our last 8 games 12 games over (43-31) and then absolutely got blasted, losing 7 of the last 8. Of course, that 43-31 record was only good for 7th place that year at the time...if we equal 43-31 this year that would be at worst a tie for 4th/5th, and that's only if the Warriors run off 9 straight...6th place and worse already have 32 losses.

The point being - aside from a terrible tank at the end of the season, we're about where we were record wise in Y2 of Adelman right now - we're doing much better in the standings, but that's because there's a ton of mediocrity this year in the West.

Of course, on the other hand the Lakers pummelled us in the playoffs in Y3 in the same way (or worse) than we would expect to be pummelled by Denver this year...but I think that was quite a disappointment and we should have done better.

So I don't know if things should ever map one-to-one onto the past, but Y4 Adelman we had the best record in the league and we all know we would have won the championship if it weren't for Game 6, and Y5 we were one win down from best record in the league and would have won if Webber didn't blow his knee out. So if we're the equivalent of Y3 now, does that mean we're legit-everything-but-the-refs contenders next year? That's why I feel like we're a bit behind that schedule.
I think that Y3 and Y4 would hopefully map best to 4/5 with Adelman but the fact is the league landscape also means we already have an outside shot at a surprise WCF appearance with a clear path for improvement (as opposed to the Blazers 2019 appearance).

But I don't think you can discount what getting to the second round would mean for taking the next step. A lot of folks are assuming we'll crumble under a playoff environment. I think that is a huge leap and projecting Walton and Joerger's failures onto Brown and this squad.

I do think that this offseason we will likely try to sign Sasha, draft an impact player and retain or replace as much of the supporting cast to another 2/3 year type deal so that we can make a major move the following deadline or in 2024 when we will be without a pick and re-signing Domas. Basically your mid-game of chess moves. Remind me if there is either a new CBA or TV contract with the expectation of a huge salary cap bump sometime in the next 2 years?

I do think we will ultimately need a Mike Bibby level move at some point to transcend from feel good underdog to champion contender, although its also possible Sasha, the new draft pick and Keegan having a Y2 or Y3 explosion accomplish this end.

Won by 4, but were an HB deep three away from possibly losing. Considering all the 3's the Wolves hit, especially to stop runs --- it really was impressive for the KINGS to have that chance to steal it.

It feels like whenever we don’t have a game, there’s a large round of games that have key Playoff race implications. Tonight’s slate:

Philadelphia @ Minnesota (TNT)
Golden State @ Oklahoma City
Utah @ Dallas
Memphis @ LA Lakers (TNT)

Pretty clear who to root for tonight from a Kings perspective. Philly, OKC, Utah and the Lakers (sadly) are who we want to win. Cool to see two key games on TNT for us to watch, as well.
I just can't bring myself to do it.

We can sit idle in the 3rd spot while the LAL lose and hopefully miss the postseason for the 3rd time in 5 seasons.

Having said that, it is kinda nice benefiting from whichever team loses that one.

Some of tonight’s games if they swing right will definitely help our cause. But what ever happens tonight it will help.
I love that i the time of year were the west starts knocking each other around a little more.

We have gone 6 of 7 since the all star game. I expect a few more tough ones from the next few games but I have faith our guys are go to be as ready for it as they see the light at the end of the tunnel.