[Game] Kings @ Pistons, 9 JAN 2024 4PM PST/7PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keegan is bringing it on both ends
That man is special. Ivey looked good in spots (bailed out with a few bad calls) but i can't lie and say it wasn't satisfying to see Keegan be aggressive, look for his shot and rise to the occasion yet again, taking on someone from his draft class. That pep in his step tells me Keegan is much more of an assassin than people thought he'd be. It was also funny seeing Ivey trying to pad his stats, launching bricks in the final few minutes LOL

Kingster

Hall of Famer
So I want the uncensored version of what Coach Brown said to the team in the 2nd quarter. Give me the tape! The National Enquirer pays good money for that stuff.

Keegan was great, but I still have to give the game ball to Sabonis. He actually showed up for the game fully alive with faculties in tact and didn't participate in the Walking Dead funeral dirge in the first quarter. Apparently, he or the Coach said the magic words that awakened the corpses from their trances, and away they went to the land of the living.

P.S. One of the weirder and off-putting comments I've ever heard on a broadcast was Draper, referring to Keegan's defense on Bogdanovic: "......with Keegan draped all over him like a prom dress!" What the hell? I'm still shaking my head over that one.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
That man is special. Ivey looked good in spots (bailed out with a few bad calls) but i can't lie and say it wasn't satisfying to see Keegan be aggressive, look for his shot and rise to the occasion yet again, taking on someone from his draft class. That pep in his step tells me Keegan is much more of an assassin than people thought he'd be. It was also funny seeing Ivey trying to pad his stats, launching bricks in the final few minutes LOL
Murray's one-legged step back has a Nowitzki feel to it, don't you think?

Sorry, but this starts with Fox again. Like what the hell dude? We get absolutely punked by 40 by NOP and then you respond with 4 1Q turnovers? 5 points on 2-6 shooting? Where's the urgency to turn YOUR team around?

We can talk about all the other things wrong till we're blue in the face, but our franchise player needs to start acting like it before we go on blaming others. Don't get to be called a top 10 player and just absolutely crap the bed like this.
Fox is an exceptional scorer. Fox is NOT our franchise player and the sooner you all realize this the better for everyone. He is not a leader, does not want to be a leader, never will be a leader. He does not make people better, effort is inconsistent, looks apathetic all too often. Domas is the leader of this team. I am not going to debate who is physically better at basketball (comparable gap between them and their peers at each position) but Domas has the natural intangibles to be the leader. Last year Coach Brown was the leader of this team and this year he’s waiting for someone to step up and take reins. Domas is doing just that. I expect the Jeckyl and Hyde act to disappear as the team starts to take on the personality of the REAL franchise player. Get Barnes and Davion outta here, let Fox nestle in as the # 2 player and let’s gets this team in the groove.

Now it would be nice if Monte somehow could convince the Pistons to let Bojan join the Kings by the game tomorrow haha. I don't think there is a better fit for this Kings team than him. The Pistons are going to pull another Grant and get nothing if they don't watch it.
He can shoot, but I have read that his defense is really poor. His defensive rating is 125.6, second worst on the Pistons, which is saying a whole lot. We need a top-notch defender.

I was gonna say 2.5 but I thought that mind be too much of a homer -
Just finished watching the game…..like everyone else, was kind of losing my crap in the first quarter. Not mad but in disbelief. By the end though, the team started looking good.
PTSD from following this team so long always makes me feel like the team is completely melting down whenever something like that first quarter happens. So happy we didn't just bounce back but did it emphatically

Approaching halfway we're at a 50 win pace and only a game out of 4th. West is more competitive this year but we're sneakily having a very strong sophomore effort under MB

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Might become his go-to move seeing him does that occasionally.
Yes, he's doing it more often. I noticed a couple of games ago after a Kings win Murray referred to the 4th quarter as the "Fox and Monk" show and that he tried to just fill in (my paraphrase). My hope is that Murray throws that thought in the waste bin and takes command of more games like he did in this Detroit game.

So I want the uncensored version of what Coach Brown said to the team in the 2nd quarter. Give me the tape! The National Enquirer pays good money for that stuff.

Keegan was great, but I still have to give the game ball to Sabonis. He actually showed up for the game fully alive with faculties in tact and didn't participate in the Walking Dead funeral dirge in the first quarter. Apparently, he or the Coach said the magic words that awakened the corpses from their trances, and away they went to the land of the living.

P.S. One of the weirder and off-putting comments I've ever heard on a broadcast was Draper, referring to Keegan's defense on Bogdanovic: "......with Keegan draped all over him like a prom dress!" What the hell? I'm still shaking my head over that one.
Draper seems like a very nice person so i try not to pile on, but, man, the Kings most certainly need to search for some greater and more prepared play-by-play guys that can be around for each and every game. I don't mind Mark Jones at all, but i miss having a consistent voice.

Is it my imagination, or do all of Monk's passes look low tonight?
Yeah i'm not sure what the heck that was all about tonight. Not just low but through traffic as well :confused: but, overall, we certainly don't win without his high energy. I'm super appreciative of what he does off that bench and completely understand why Mike Brown ain't budging on that particular choice.

He can shoot, but I have read that his defense is really poor. His defensive rating is 125.6, second worst on the Pistons, which is saying a whole lot. We need a top-notch defender.
Yea, i'd love Bojan if we had a few more lengthy players or defensive stalwarts on this squad. We can not afford to have he and Huerter getting blown by on this squad at the same time. I shudder to imagine it.

Not a fan of individual defensive ratings, but the Pistons are like averaging 120 as a team so they are flat out terrible. He's actually not that bad. He stays with guys pretty well. He was underrated on defense since his Utah days. Just a few seasons ago on a good defensive team Bojan was at 111-114. You don't bring him in for pure defense but he was the engine of that Utah team and their style was almost identical.

Yes, he's doing it more often. I noticed a couple of games ago after a Kings win Murray referred to the 4th quarter as the "Fox and Monk" show and that he tried to just fill in (my paraphrase). My hope is that Murray throws that thought in the waste bin and takes command of more games like he did in this Detroit game.
He must, I remember him warning with his hand gesture "clear the path" before doing a post move to the basket. That was just one incident of him being in command. Wish him to do that more often. If he had Monk like demeanor and burst to the basket, the league would be in big trouble.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
obviously. I don't think anyone has ever said this is a finished product.

But all of the moves on the edges don't matter if Fox is playing this poorly. He's the engine for how high this team can climb. Us talking about fringe 8th/9th man rotation spots really don't matter until Fox plays like himself.

Just not acceptable, to me, to respond with this sort of effort after your team gets wacked by 40. Him and Domas, rightfully, get held to an incredibly high standard. Domas is showing up, he isn't. Simple as that.
Yeah, I don't know exactly what it is with Fox. We've seen these ups and downs over his entire career. He'll never have the consistency of Sabonis. To me, he's more like a sprinter than an endurance runner. He looks fantastic when he's fast and feeling good and the shot is going in, but then he'll blow a tire after a while and it doesn't look so good. He missed some games early in the season because of the ankle so it's hard for me to buy the "he's tired" excuse, so I really don't know what it is with him right now.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Draper seems like a very nice person so i try not to pile on, but, man, the Kings most certainly need to search for some greater and more prepared play-by-play guys that can be around for each and every game. I don't mind Mark Jones at all, but i miss having a consistent voice.
Amen.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
It's just a variation of a fairly common expression: "[X player] is defending [Y player] so tight, it's like [Y player] is wearing [X player] like a jersey/cheap suit/straightjacket." What was off-putting about it?

Well we have 3 hard games coming so I’m so glad we pulled our heads out of our butts after that shocking first quarter. We just finished the game but I knew we weren’t doing well without even looking at TV I was in kitchen getting dinner ready as I kept hearing the F-bomb every few seconds hahaha but when I sat down I was in shock. Really great defense/offense with Keegan, Domas another triple double, Fox and Monk finally dug our selves out of that embarrassing hole. Oh course then they go up by 15 and I’m thinking you’ve got to be kidding me. So Hueter I don’t know if he’ll ever get his shot back I really think he’s too deep in his own head. But most of you already have pretty much said my same thoughts so good night light the beam and get rest for our BTB tomorrow!!

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Fox is an exceptional scorer. Fox is NOT our franchise player and the sooner you all realize this the better for everyone. He is not a leader, does not want to be a leader, never will be a leader. He does not make people better, effort is inconsistent, looks apathetic all too often. Domas is the leader of this team. I am not going to debate who is physically better at basketball (comparable gap between them and their peers at each position) but Domas has the natural intangibles to be the leader. Last year Coach Brown was the leader of this team and this year he’s waiting for someone to step up and take reins. Domas is doing just that. I expect the Jeckyl and Hyde act to disappear as the team starts to take on the personality of the REAL franchise player. Get Barnes and Davion outta here, let Fox nestle in as the # 2 player and let’s gets this team in the groove.
What the hell does everyone have against Davion? He hasn't played great this season but his struggles have been almost entirely on the offensive side of the floor. He's played the best defense in a Sacramento Kings uniform since Ron Artest almost 20 years ago. If anything, he should be playing more since Fox, Sabonis, Murray, and Monk are already outscoring other teams without much help from everyone else and you can't win a championship in this league without playing defense.

What the hell does everyone have against Davion? He hasn't played great this season but his struggles have been almost entirely on the offensive side of the floor. He's played the best defense in a Sacramento Kings uniform since Ron Artest almost 20 years ago. If anything, he should be playing more since Fox, Sabonis, Murray, and Monk are already outscoring other teams without much help from everyone else and you can't win a championship in this league without playing defense.
I actually like Davion quite a bit just not on this team. He needs to be on a team with length and I think we might have the least of any team. I like the Spurs fit. I just mentioned him because it’s best for both parties and I think there are still teams that are in love with his defense and will have confidence that they can get his shot right. He might fetch more than we think tbh but the sooner we make the move the better.

Not a fan of individual defensive ratings, but the Pistons are like averaging 120 as a team so they are flat out terrible. He's actually not that bad. He stays with guys pretty well. He was underrated on defense since his Utah days. Just a few seasons ago on a good defensive team Bojan was at 111-114. You don't bring him in for pure defense but he was the engine of that Utah team and their style was almost identical.
Gobert can help a lot of guys look better on d then they really are.Bojan is definitely a negative on d.He has never had a positive dump even on Utah

Status
Not open for further replies.