KINGS PICKING 4TH IN 2022 NBA DRAFT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think of the three, Holmgren is the most likely to fall. I think Banchero is the least likely to be there at 4.

I wasn't super high on Banchero a few months ago but rewatching some games and seeing his strong play to finish the season I've come around to where I think he's the best player in this class. Out of Holmgren, Smith Jr, and Banchero, Paolo is the only one that can impose his will on offense. Both Jabari and Chet take what the defense gives them. Smith Jr can rise up and get a shot off over almost anyone, but he's not really a guy that you clear out for and tell him to go get you a bucket. That's just not his game. At least not at this point in his very young career. Learning to create offense (and becoming a better finisher in the paint) will be a big part of Smith Jr's growth as a player.

Banchero is a first option on offense type player who ALSO has very good playmaking abilities. It's a big part of what makes him a better prospect to me than Keegan Murray. I also think his defensive woes are a bit overstated. In the times where he's locked in on defense he moves well laterally and contains his man well. Whether he'll buy in and be more significantly engaged on that end is a legitimate question. But if he is, he can not only be a decent defender, I think he can be a plus defender, though neither he nor Jabari are shot blockers/rim protectors. But they can be relatively switchable big wings on that end of the floor.

The thing with Holmgren is that even beyond the concerns about his body, even if he hits fully he's likely not a primary option on offense. He's a potentially elite rim protector who also does a little of everything else. He's a good rebounder, pick and roll finisher, pick and pop guy, good passer, good outside shooter, can handle a bit/grab and go, cuts well, finishes with touch inside etc but he's also not a guy that you just throw the ball to and tell him to go to work. At his best he's a versatile role player who anchors a defense.

Whether one of Holmgren, Smith Jr, or Banchero may fall also has to do with who is picking in slots 1-3. The Magic, Thunder, and Rockets are all pretty guard heavy. I'm not really sure which of them would covet Ivey or Sharpe. They're all also rebuilding so I'm not sure trading down or out of their pick makes much sense either. We'll see.

Here's how I see the players at the top in terms of defense:

Banchero - in the times he's engaged he is switchable and can contain most players on the perimeter. But he's often not engaged at all.

Smith Jr. - very engaged on defense. Rotates well, fights over screens, slides his feet well and overall gives great effort. Not a shotblocker as he lacks vertical pop, and he's a bit stiff hipped so really quick players can beat him. But overall he should be a very good defender in today's NBA

Holmgren - Elite shotblocker. Has great length, good vertical pop, and most of all really good timing and awareness. The big question is, if he falls to the Kings, can he guard on the perimeter when he shares the court with Sabonis. Evan Mobley made it work in Cleveland, but Holmgren isn't as quick laterally as Mobley, though he has even more length to help recover.

Ivey - Can be a really good on ball defender. Very quick, long, and relatively strong - puts pressure on the ball and can make plays in the passing lanes. Not super switchable, but he can likely guard either guard spot and some smaller wings. The issue is that as an off-ball defender his concentration drifts and he loses his man too easily and can die on screens.

Sharpe - Who knows? He looked capable guarding one on one but doesn't always make the right rotation and can be found ball watching. But the little bit of tape I've seen is from HS games. I don't think there's any way for us to know what kind of defender Sharpe is or could be at this point.

Keegan Murray - Gives good effort on defense, and generally knows where to be on that end of the floor. He's not overly quick and he doesn't have tremendous instincts but he clearly knows his role in the defensive scheme. He's work well for a coach like Brown. I don't think he's a defensive stopper in the NBA, but he can be part of a good team defense.

Jalen Duran - Strong, athletic interior defender with a 7'6" wingspan. You don't really want him switching on to quick guards all the time but he can show and not get killed.

Johnny Davis - A bit undersized and lean and not a great athlete, but plays defense with a lot of effort and intensity.

Mathurin - Kind of the opposite of Davis. Strong and athletic but just doesn't put a lot of effort on defense. There's potential there, but that's true of a lot of athletic players that enter the league. Not a lot of them become great defenders.

Dyson Daniels - I haven't seen enough of him to feel confident in my assessment but he appears to give good effort with good size to defend 1-3.

Tari Eason - I love Eason. He's got good size and length (6'8" with a 7'2" wingspan) but he also moves like a guard. Very aggressive defender who can get steals and blocks and turn them into offense. Big, strong hands. A few times this year he's wrapped up or stripped driving players with one hand. Has a great motor. The downsides with Eason on defense is that he can be over agressive and rack up fouls and while he plays hard, he's not always in the right position. Brown would probably also be a good coach for him. The bigger issue is if he can get consistent with his funky shot and adjust to a lower usage rate as well as learn to take care of the ball better. He reminds me a bit of a better version of Paul Reed, who I also liked coming out of college.

Jeremy Sochan - Defense is his best attribute. Big, tough, long, and quick he's very switchable. He can defend on the perimeter or in the paint. He's good on the ball, off the ball, and as a help defender. He's not a shotblocker but otherwise he's about as complete a defender as you'll see for a 19 year old. He's also a good rebounder, ballhandler and playmaker. The big question with Sochan is if he'll be able to develop a consistent shot. He was under 30% from three and under 60% from the FT line. That makes me very nervous.

AJ Griffin - I'm lower on Griffin than most. And while he seems like with his size/length, strength and athleticism he should be a good defender, he seemd to get beat a lot when I watched him. Part of it was not being consistently alert, but he also seemed to get beat more often than he should and took poor angles to the ball.
I love Eason also but my fear with him is BBIQ. The lack of knowing where to be on defense, fouls and tendency to drive over and over indicates a low IQ player which in the NBA can be deadly.

I actually don’t think Monte will feel obligated to draft a win now player because rookies shouldn’t be counted on to take you to the playoffs. No Tim Duncans in this draft. If he decides Sharpe is the BPA he can take him and dip into free agency and trades to fill out the roster with those types of players. 3 and d guys at the 3 or 4 can be found and then you have Sharpe playing 15 min a night until he earns more minutes. If he can shoot he will be playing in no time.

I love Eason also but my fear with him is BBIQ. The lack of knowing where to be on defense, fouls and tendency to drive over and over indicates a low IQ player which in the NBA can be deadly.
It's a legitimate concern. And I give it additional weight since he's not a freshman coming out.

His shot is also a potential worry. Can he continue to improve as a shooter on the NBA level without overhauling his shot mechanics?

I still like his defensive versatility, athletcism, and motor enough that I'd take him if the Kings pick up a late lottery pick.

He and Shaedon Sharpe would be a bit of a homerun swing draft.

Really hoping Banchero takes a Haliburton-esque fall to us. Really don't want to be picking between Holmgren/Murray/Ivey/Sharpe at 4.
I think Orlando ends up taking him. They typically like long defender types but looking at the make up of their team they still need a Alfa scorer. Normally they would go with Jabari but I bet they go Banchero instead

I think Orlando ends up taking him. They typically like long defender types but looking at the make up of their team they still need a Alfa scorer. Normally they would go with Jabari but I bet they go Banchero instead
I just watched Banchero highlights and he is definitely capable of getting buckets at all 3 levels. He’s prolly gonna be the #1 pick and Chet hopefully falls to us.

Chet Holmgren is very misunderstood. Run the floor guard skills, elite shot blocking skills, high level BBIQ and more.

he’s the guy I still want the most. I don’t think his ceiling is superstar but a 20-10 guy that can hit the 3 and the main thing I care about is he is going to block a ton of shots

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I just watched Banchero highlights and he is definitely capable of getting buckets at all 3 levels. He’s prolly gonna be the #1 pick and Chet hopefully falls to us.
The thing is that Chet fits the Rockets better than Jabari does (Sengun is a center who does what Chet can't on offense. Chet does all the shot blocking that Sengun can't.) If Paolo gets picked 1st and OKC does go with Sharpe as more and more people seem to be considering they'll do, Jabari might end up the one slipping out of the top three, which would be one of the greatest moments in Sacramento Kings history.

The thing is that Chet fits the Rockets better than Jabari does (Sengun is a center who does what Chet can't on offense. Chet does all the shot blocking that Sengun can't.) If Paolo gets picked 1st and OKC does go with Sharpe as more and more people seem to be considering they'll do, Jabari might end up the one slipping out of the top three, which would be one of the greatest moments in Sacramento Kings history.
I was trying to figure out the scenario in which this happens!

I was trying to figure out the scenario in which this happens!
I won't get my hopes up in the slightest other than he's kind of the most boring of the presumed top 4/5 picks. Most plug and play and highest floor for sure, but also the one least likely to scream "supahstah!" Banchero has a "wow" factor. Chet is a bit of a freak, scares the hell out of me but intrigues the hell out of others. Sharpe is the giant blank slate that some people are projecting the superstar of their choice onto him. And Ivey has everyone dreaming of Ja, the current flavor of the month.

Smith (and Murray to a lesser extent) seem like can't fail guys but also guys that you'll look back on and say "was he truly a #1(#4)?"

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think of the three, Holmgren is the most likely to fall. I think Banchero is the least likely to be there at 4.

I wasn't super high on Banchero a few months ago but rewatching some games and seeing his strong play to finish the season I've come around to where I think he's the best player in this class. Out of Holmgren, Smith Jr, and Banchero, Paolo is the only one that can impose his will on offense. Both Jabari and Chet take what the defense gives them. Smith Jr can rise up and get a shot off over almost anyone, but he's not really a guy that you clear out for and tell him to go get you a bucket. That's just not his game. At least not at this point in his very young career. Learning to create offense (and becoming a better finisher in the paint) will be a big part of Smith Jr's growth as a player.

Banchero is a first option on offense type player who ALSO has very good playmaking abilities. It's a big part of what makes him a better prospect to me than Keegan Murray. I also think his defensive woes are a bit overstated. In the times where he's locked in on defense he moves well laterally and contains his man well. Whether he'll buy in and be more significantly engaged on that end is a legitimate question. But if he is, he can not only be a decent defender, I think he can be a plus defender, though neither he nor Jabari are shot blockers/rim protectors. But they can be relatively switchable big wings on that end of the floor.

The thing with Holmgren is that even beyond the concerns about his body, even if he hits fully he's likely not a primary option on offense. He's a potentially elite rim protector who also does a little of everything else. He's a good rebounder, pick and roll finisher, pick and pop guy, good passer, good outside shooter, can handle a bit/grab and go, cuts well, finishes with touch inside etc but he's also not a guy that you just throw the ball to and tell him to go to work. At his best he's a versatile role player who anchors a defense.

Whether one of Holmgren, Smith Jr, or Banchero may fall also has to do with who is picking in slots 1-3. The Magic, Thunder, and Rockets are all pretty guard heavy. I'm not really sure which of them would covet Ivey or Sharpe. They're all also rebuilding so I'm not sure trading down or out of their pick makes much sense either. We'll see.

Here's how I see the players at the top in terms of defense:

Banchero - in the times he's engaged he is switchable and can contain most players on the perimeter. But he's often not engaged at all.

Smith Jr. - very engaged on defense. Rotates well, fights over screens, slides his feet well and overall gives great effort. Not a shotblocker as he lacks vertical pop, and he's a bit stiff hipped so really quick players can beat him. But overall he should be a very good defender in today's NBA

Holmgren - Elite shotblocker. Has great length, good vertical pop, and most of all really good timing and awareness. The big question is, if he falls to the Kings, can he guard on the perimeter when he shares the court with Sabonis. Evan Mobley made it work in Cleveland, but Holmgren isn't as quick laterally as Mobley, though he has even more length to help recover.

Ivey - Can be a really good on ball defender. Very quick, long, and relatively strong - puts pressure on the ball and can make plays in the passing lanes. Not super switchable, but he can likely guard either guard spot and some smaller wings. The issue is that as an off-ball defender his concentration drifts and he loses his man too easily and can die on screens.

Sharpe - Who knows? He looked capable guarding one on one but doesn't always make the right rotation and can be found ball watching. But the little bit of tape I've seen is from HS games. I don't think there's any way for us to know what kind of defender Sharpe is or could be at this point.

Keegan Murray - Gives good effort on defense, and generally knows where to be on that end of the floor. He's not overly quick and he doesn't have tremendous instincts but he clearly knows his role in the defensive scheme. He's work well for a coach like Brown. I don't think he's a defensive stopper in the NBA, but he can be part of a good team defense.

Jalen Duran - Strong, athletic interior defender with a 7'6" wingspan. You don't really want him switching on to quick guards all the time but he can show and not get killed.

Johnny Davis - A bit undersized and lean and not a great athlete, but plays defense with a lot of effort and intensity.

Mathurin - Kind of the opposite of Davis. Strong and athletic but just doesn't put a lot of effort on defense. There's potential there, but that's true of a lot of athletic players that enter the league. Not a lot of them become great defenders.

Dyson Daniels - I haven't seen enough of him to feel confident in my assessment but he appears to give good effort with good size to defend 1-3.

Tari Eason - I love Eason. He's got good size and length (6'8" with a 7'2" wingspan) but he also moves like a guard. Very aggressive defender who can get steals and blocks and turn them into offense. Big, strong hands. A few times this year he's wrapped up or stripped driving players with one hand. Has a great motor. The downsides with Eason on defense is that he can be over agressive and rack up fouls and while he plays hard, he's not always in the right position. Brown would probably also be a good coach for him. The bigger issue is if he can get consistent with his funky shot and adjust to a lower usage rate as well as learn to take care of the ball better. He reminds me a bit of a better version of Paul Reed, who I also liked coming out of college.

Jeremy Sochan - Defense is his best attribute. Big, tough, long, and quick he's very switchable. He can defend on the perimeter or in the paint. He's good on the ball, off the ball, and as a help defender. He's not a shotblocker but otherwise he's about as complete a defender as you'll see for a 19 year old. He's also a good rebounder, ballhandler and playmaker. The big question with Sochan is if he'll be able to develop a consistent shot. He was under 30% from three and under 60% from the FT line. That makes me very nervous.

AJ Griffin - I'm lower on Griffin than most. And while he seems like with his size/length, strength and athleticism he should be a good defender, he seemd to get beat a lot when I watched him. Part of it was not being consistently alert, but he also seemed to get beat more often than he should and took poor angles to the ball.
You and I see eye to eye on Banchero. Banchero is a guy who on Day 1 can drive to the basket and finish through contact. His passing and ball handling are exceptional for his size. Ivey is my #2. I think both will be gone by #4, but stranger things have happened.

The other thing to consider when picking at 4 is we should be able to draft a guy who plays both sides of the ball. If the Ivey defense isn’t any good, the Kings have to pass on him.

For the forum guys who follow the prospects all year, who at the top plays both sides of the ball?
That is what we need. Not a one dimensional guy.
Ivey's defense can be spectacular. He stood out his 1st year at that then he developed into a star scorer.

Interesting list. Other than Griffin (who I'm admittedly not as high on as most) I really like that group of players.

And it's not like I hate Griffin as a prospect. But I wasn't big on the idea of taking him at 7 or 8 so I'd be really disappointed if the Kings took him at 4.

Those kids are also all over the draft board, at least the way most mocks are today.

Sharpe is top 5, Griffin is top 10, Eason is currently late lottery, Brown is in the 20's, Moore and Smith are late 1st/early 2nd and Williams is mid to late 2nd.
Love it. If they can land Moore in the 2nd round that would be a steal.

Interesting list. Other than Griffin (who I'm admittedly not as high on as most) I really like that group of players.

And it's not like I hate Griffin as a prospect. But I wasn't big on the idea of taking him at 7 or 8 so I'd be really disappointed if the Kings took him at 4.

Those kids are also all over the draft board, at least the way most mocks are today.

Sharpe is top 5, Griffin is top 10, Eason is currently late lottery, Brown is in the 20's, Moore and Smith are late 1st/early 2nd and Williams is mid to late 2nd.
I've recently seen a few mocks with Griffin at 6 over Murray. It's possible considering he's SF and one of best shooting prospects. Honestly, he should be considered at 4 IMO and certainly a top trade down candidate.

Well, you thank your lucky stars is what you do.
In the last few days i’ve been cranking up the film and breakdowns on all the likely top picks.
I think a past interview of Banchero’s kind of turned me off, and knowing he wouldn’t be there anyways at 7 or lower. Now I see the strength and skill he possesses so would be quite happy if he falls to 4.
Of the top 6 or so, recon I have the most reservation with Ivey due to possible fit issues with Fox and Holmgren’s skinny frame.
Between coaching hires and draft position, i’d say pretty exciting times.

I get the same feeling that Banchero will be the one that drops to #4. But, I'm starting to get worried that it will be Murray, not Ivey or Sharpe, that jumps into the top 3. That would leave us with Bachero, Ivey or Sharpe or trade down.

I'm hoping that if Murray goes top 3, then it would be Holmgren or Smith that drops to us, but I doubt it. If Murray is gone at #4 and it's between Banchero, Ivey or Sharpe available, I might be inclined to try to trade down and get additional assets.
If we knew each other I'd be you good money that Murray won't go top 3.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Ivey or Sharpe have to jump, right. How often does everything go according to the expected?
I don't know. The top 3 usually haven't had any huge shocks recently. Sometimes there are 4-5 guys that are competing for top 3, but I'd say the last time somebody made a surprise move into the top 3 was probably Jaylen Brown going at #3 in 2016 when a lot of mocks had him in the #7-8 range. I'd say there have been a few surprises at #4 recently (Patrick Williams, maybe De'Andre Hunter and Scottie Barnes a bit) but there haven't been many shocks in the top 3. So unless the consensus starts to include Sharpe and/or Ivey as potentially pushing one of the three bigs out, I'd still bet on the "top three" to be off the board at #4.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
If someone else’s imagination gives us one of the big three, I’ll be so pumped.
To be honest, my imagination would be pretty pumped if we took Sharpe at #4. Even with Ivey as a positional no-go, this looks like a four-player draft to me, with Murray the "safety" consolation prize if workouts with Sharpe go poorly.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
To be honest, my imagination would be pretty pumped if we took Sharpe at #4. Even with Ivey as a positional no-go, this looks like a four-player draft to me, with Murray the "safety" consolation prize if workouts with Sharpe go poorly.
I’m cool with Ivey and Sharpe, even with the awkward fit. That’s FIVE potential names I’m more than fine with.

There’s one name that will make me throw a shoe through my TV.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
I’m cool with Ivey and Sharpe, even with the awkward fit. That’s FIVE potential names I’m more than fine with.

There’s one name that will make me throw a shoe through my TV.
"And with the fourth pick in the 2022 NBA Draft, the Sacramento Kings select...Marvin Bagley the Third, from Duke! ...Wait, can they DO that?!?"

Status
Not open for further replies.