KINGS PICKING 4TH IN 2022 NBA DRAFT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hence why you’re a couch GM lol
It depends on the draft though. Battier would be a SUPER valuable player in todays league and he was 6th in the "Kwame" draft. You could nitpick a few names behind him going over him but that was a pretty weak draft overall. I agree with @kb02 no way does Murray have those defensive chops on the perimeter. If he did he'd be in the top 3.

It depends on the draft though. Battier would be a SUPER valuable player in todays league and he was 6th in the "Kwame" draft. You could nitpick a few names behind him going over him but that was a pretty weak draft overall. I agree with @kb02 no way does Murray have those defensive chops on the perimeter. If he did he'd be in the top 3.
I'm just a Couch GM here, but Battier would be significantly better in today's game than he was during his time. Perfect guy you could plug at the 4 with elite switchability and wing defense and space on offense.

Guys like him, Marion, Peja, AK47. Just a decade too early before their talents could be fully utilized by the modern game.

I'm just a Couch GM here, but Battier would be significantly better in today's game than he was during his time. Perfect guy you could plug at the 4 with elite switchability and wing defense and space on offense.

Guys like him, Marion, Peja, AK47. Just a decade too early before their talents could be fully utilized by the modern game.
Yeah for sure. A healthy in his prime AK47 especially would be nuts right now, lol.

Keegan Murray just screams high level role player in the NBA. As a prospect, he reminds me of a much less athletic, but much better shooting Brandon Clarke.

If you're drafting him, you have to really hope you can develop his ball skills like Toronto did with Siakam, who was also another older player.

Based on what though? Your own preference? I would take Ivey or Mathurin if given the chance and I hope we don't take Holmgren or Daniels even if they are available. Mock drafts create the illusion of consensus but the only buzz around Sacramento is that no one has any idea what we're going to do and the reason the mock drafts are so frequently inaccurate is that the online consensus doesn't really matter anyway -- GMs are going to pick whoever they and their scouts prefer and that has nothing to do with the online consensus.
My point was it’s pure guess at this point with Monte feeding us next to nothing. I’m okay with that, but mentioned Holmgren and Daniels as they are both strong defensive players at their positions. One would be considered a fall to us the other a riser or even a possible trade back. I originally didn’t want anything to do with Holmgren but have warmed up to the idea.

A backcourt of Fox and Ivey sounds exciting to me but I keep hearing the same arguments how it may not work. Daniels on the other hand, if he’s as good as advertised should work, the guy has size and will likely play some 3 in the future. Mathurin, honestly since we jumped to 4 I haven’t really considered him. At 7 or 8 I was thinking great, position of need and great athlete, but again who knows. If he turned out to be the steal of this draft it wouldn’t surprise.

Maybe it’s this group of talent or the fact were picking 4, sort of where the mystery begins, thats making this a tough one to call.

You’re forgetting Doug Christie. Otherwise known as Dyson Daniels 1.0 (less 2 inches).

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

We’re seeing guys like Otto Porter and PJ Tucker absolutely wreck offensive game plans in the postseason and Battier was probably a better better player than either of them.

Player comps to anyone who is no longer in the league is a dangerous game in general. The league has changed so much in the last five years alone. People keep comparing Jabari Smith Jr to Rashard Lewis like it’s a bad thing but Lewis would be a perennial all-star/all-NBA guy in today’s game.

My point was it’s pure guess at this point with Monte feeding us next to nothing. I’m okay with that, but mentioned Holmgren and Daniels as they are both strong defensive players at their positions. One would be considered a fall to us the other a riser or even a possible trade back. I originally didn’t want anything to do with Holmgren but have warmed up to the idea.

A backcourt of Fox and Ivey sounds exciting to me but I keep hearing the same arguments how it may not work. Daniels on the other hand, if he’s as good as advertised should work, the guy has size and will likely play some 3 in the future. Mathurin, honestly since we jumped to 4 I haven’t really considered him. At 7 or 8 I was thinking great, position of need and great athlete, but again who knows. If he turned out to be the steal of this draft it wouldn’t surprise.

Maybe it’s this group of talent or the fact were picking 4, sort of where the mystery begins, thats making this a tough one to call.
Regarding the importance of fit, how many people thought Lebron, AD and westbrook would dominate? Harden and westbrook? How did the pairings work? Not well by all estimates? Fit matters. And if you can't move fox and are committed to winning now, then you dont draft ivey. There are plenty of teams that want him, so move down to get pieces or draft someone else. Those are the options. If you want to get BPA, then at least for now, dont expect to win.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
We’re seeing guys like Otto Porter and PJ Tucker absolutely wreck offensive game plans in the postseason and Battier was probably a better better player than either of them.

Player comps to anyone who is no longer in the league is a dangerous game in general. The league has changed so much in the last five years alone. People keep comparing Jabari Smith Jr to Rashard Lewis like it’s a bad thing but Lewis would be a perennial all-star/all-NBA guy in today’s game.
For my part, all I mean by the comparison is that I don't see evidence of a killer instinct. Rashard Lewis was a guy who played 16 years in the league, made a couple of All Star teams, and consistently got his points. Maybe in a more three-point focused league he averages 22-25 ppg instead of 18-20 ppg and that puts him in the conversation for more end of the year awards but when you're facing down Steph and Klay in the playoffs and the only chance you have is if someone puts the team on their back and gets you 40 in a must-win game, is he going to do that? I don't see it.

I think Keegan Murray has that level of fight in him though which is why I would rank him above Smith. It's not that I'm saying "Rashard Lewis" is a bad player, I'm just questioning if Smith is a guy you really want at #1 overall and pushing back a bit on the narrative that Smith is a player you can't pass on or the perfect fit for the Kings that we should trade up for (or pray that he falls to us) and Murray is a safer pick who has limited upside.

For my part, all I mean by the comparison is that I don't see evidence of a killer instinct. Rashard Lewis was a guy who played 16 years in the league, made a couple of All Star teams, and consistently got his points. Maybe in a more three-point focused league he averages 22-25 ppg instead of 18-20 ppg and that puts him in the conversation for more end of the year awards but when you're facing down Steph and Klay in the playoffs and the only chance you have is if someone puts the team on their back and gets you 40 in a must-win game, is he going to do that? I don't see it.

I think Keegan Murray has that level of fight in him though which is why I would rank him above Smith. It's not that I'm saying "Rashard Lewis" is a bad player, I'm just questioning if Smith is a guy you really want at #1 overall and pushing back a bit on the narrative that Smith is a player you can't pass on or the perfect fit for the Kings that we should trade up for (or pray that he falls to us) and Murray is a safer pick who has limited upside.
That's true about both Smith and Lewis, the thing that Smith has that Keegan/Shard don't/didn't is legit potential to lock down 1-4 in a league where if you don't switch, you might as well just hope for misses. Is that worth number 1? Eh, maybe in this draft, in this era. Also, if Keegan doesn't have a reliable first step then it won't matter how much fight he has. That's what separates elite wings from tweeners.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
That's true about both Smith and Lewis, the thing that Smith has that Keegan/Shard don't/didn't is legit potential to lock down 1-4 in a league where if you don't switch, you might as well just hope for misses. Is that worth number 1? Eh, maybe in this draft, in this era. Also, if Keegan doesn't have a reliable first step then it won't matter how much fight he has. That's what separates elite wings from tweeners.
I'm less bullish on Smith's defense than most. He's a hard worker and his length will help him in certain situations but I think his lateral agility is really going to limit him against shifty ballhandlers and I'm already so traumatized from years of watching Kings defenders who are chronically a step late in closing out on three point shooters that I can't help but fear the worst for him on that end of the floor. My idea of an ideal NBA defender at this point is someone like Davion Mitchell who uses speed and agility to frustrate opponents by denying them that extra step of separation instead of sitting back in the passing lanes where they're vulnerable to the kinds of blatantly illegal picks that Golden State popularized in their first Finals run seven years ago and are still not being called. That's where I'm coming from. I think Smith is tough to back down and score on but most scorers are attacking off the dribble in the NBA and I see him having some problems in those situations. I've been wrong before though.

Regarding the importance of fit, how many people thought Lebron, AD and westbrook would dominate? Harden and westbrook? How did the pairings work? Not well by all estimates? Fit matters. And if you can't move fox and are committed to winning now, then you dont draft ivey. There are plenty of teams that want him, so move down to get pieces or draft someone else. Those are the options. If you want to get BPA, then at least for now, dont expect to win.
It‘s not so much fit, but mind set. I saw Gary Payton 2.0 tonight playing like Draymond on the perimeter. Doing essentially a moving zone blocking scheme on the perimeter for Curry and creating physical havoc all over. The Kings don’t have that kind of mindset. Too many years of WCS and Baglet setting paper thin screens and a roster full of selfish dudes who never ran/cut for for each other. They need more dudes who are willing to sacrifice their game to improve the team‘s overall play. Hence why I think Monte is going to draft someone like Daniels or Sochan or Peyton Watson.

Jamychal Green just got traded to the Thunder I think he would be a very decent fit next to Sabonis or off the bench assuming his health returns if the Kings are making any deals (swapping picks) with the Thunder..

You’re forgetting Doug Christie. Otherwise known as Dyson Daniels 1.0 (less 2 inches).
2002 Western Conference Finals. In OT Game 7,Christie missed the shots....and that is why we lost to the Lakers. I witnessed. Is what is is. Some of you guys will remember. And much like Roger Craig..."He's a fumbler"

Maybe not a "star" in traditional sense, but I'm drafting Shane Battier at 4 all day everyday of the week. You need the horses up top, but you don't win titles without those guys.
You can get Battier tier players from the late 1st, 2nd round or even undrafted e.g Dorian Finney Smith/Wes Matthews/Jae Crowder no way you draft a Shane Battier at 4 even in this era..

2002 Western Conference Finals. In OT Game 7,Christie missed the shots....and that is why we lost to the Lakers. I witnessed. Is what is is. Some of you guys will remember. And much like Roger Craig..."He's a fumbler"
Yes, but Doug redeemed himself a couple years later in Game 7 against the Timberwolves in 2004. 9-17 (3-5 from 3) for a team leading 21 points. Peja, clutch as ever, shot 3-for-12.

but, where were we? I like Daniels. My chaos prediction has one of the “top 3” falling to 4 but Monte takes someone like Daniels anyway. But I can’t help the feeling that you want a little more star power than Doug Christie at the 4th pick.

While forum members are theorizing about who Monte might pick or who might be the best choice, can’t forget that there is a directive from the owner to win now. Meaning if Monte sticks with the pick at 4, that pick has got to be able to help this team now…..Monte also isn’t afraid to go get BPA despite that directive, still…..

His first 2 drafts he went for the guys who were more equipped to play big minutes in an effort to win. I think Sharpe has zero chance to be taken by us. Keegan Murray certainly fits the mold of “ready”. Dyson Daniels at 19? Not so sure about that although him playing for the Ignite can be viewed as getting a head start on professi9nal ball.

A 3 and D player may be the most ready although they would have to learn the nuances of NBA team D. I think it comes to these options
Keegan Murray
If Ivey goes earlier, then whomever drops
If first 3 stay per mocks, then a trade down getting a starting caliber wing and also a first rounder and taking best 3 and D wing

Wildcards for the draft
Ivey breaking into the top 3
Sharpe going earlier than expected, way earlier but not by us
Outside chance Dyson Daniels gets drafted top 4

Yes, but Doug redeemed himself a couple years later in Game 7 against the Timberwolves in 2004. 9-17 (3-5 from 3) for a team leading 21 points. Peja, clutch as ever, shot 3-for-12.

but, where were we? I like Daniels. My chaos prediction has one of the “top 3” falling to 4 but Monte takes someone like Daniels anyway. But I can’t help the feeling that you want a little more star power than Doug Christie at the 4th pick.
A 6'8 (+) version of Doug Christie in today's game is probably a near max player. Add a little more shooting and he's a for sure a max player.

With this stroke of luck and max space coming, I'd rather Monte build for a championship. Potential star talent at 4 and max space is the way it's done. Shoot for the middle and stay there and Fox/Sabonis are probably gone at some point anyway. Rely on any of these rookies to get this team into the play in and it's probably looking drab anyway. That should be doable without the pick. Look how quick windows can close. The Suns being a prime example. It's not closed but shutting potentially.
Agreed and the Suns definitely have no shot if you ask me. Without CP3, that’s a lottery team.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agreed and the Suns definitely have no shot if you ask me. Without CP3, that’s a lottery team.
It certainly WAS true, since they were a lottery team before he arrived. And they certainly could go back to that quickly. Especially if they do end up moving on from Ayton and don't get a great return for him and if CP3 misses a lot of games.

I've never been a fan of Chris Paul, but the season he had at age 37 was amazing. But there's certainly no guarantee that he'll repeat it or stay healthy next season.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
My sister just saw Dallas Walton at the Sac Airport. 2nd round type guy? Not a name I’ve heard or seen.

She saw a 7 footer with people around him and got close enough to see his name tag. Lol

David Aldridge article in The Athletic just dropped. Speaking with undisclosed NBA executives and college coaches and scouts. This one is on forwards

Banchero and Jabari Smith are seen as foundational pieces….tier by themselves

Keegan Murray is a tier by himself. They love him.

Next tier is Griffin and Sochan. There was very flattering things said on Griffin.

Bottom line is people here have broken down the prospects fairly well but this article separated them into tiers….especially, for me, breaking down Murray in tier by himself and then the next tier only including the 2

Others were below these.

Status
Not open for further replies.