KINGS PICKING 4TH IN 2022 NBA DRAFT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My prediction is Murray puts up 18 7 and 2 in his first summer league game and we go, eh, guess we should have expected that.
He should put up those types of numbers if he's 1 or 2 in the pecking order. When the regular season starts is when you decide how he fits. If he goes to a team like Indy I think he should have plenty of shots.

OKC is looking at Sharpe and hoping to draft him at #12 in the same way that we're looking at Dyson Daniels and hoping to draft him at #37.
Go check out some OKC boards. They do not think Presti would risk him at 2. So something with 12 is the vibe.
And, I did say hoping to move up. Heck, Sharpe just had a workout with the Hornets at 13.

Sure seems like Dyson Daniels is gathering interest around the league and amongst a few on this board. Some even believe he’s in top 5 consideration.
I’m curious, both Ivey and Sharp appear to have questions about fit wth the Kings, there’s some questions around Daniels shooting which Monte is looking for but otherwise i’d assume a seamless fit.
I’d think he has the size and diversity to compliment Fox whereas Tyrese apparently didn’t.

Real, Real interesting. It's just him and Daniels who have reported to work out with us right?
Yeah, they're the only ones that we know of for sure. We only found out about Daniels because someone asked him about who else he had workouts for.

It's getting a bit frustrating that the FO won't share anything with fans and our insiders are doing a terrible job finding out information.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Yeah, Montes not given us much more than our guess to go on. I can see Holmgren and Daniels, not so much Ivey and Matherin.
Based on what though? Your own preference? I would take Ivey or Mathurin if given the chance and I hope we don't take Holmgren or Daniels even if they are available. Mock drafts create the illusion of consensus but the only buzz around Sacramento is that no one has any idea what we're going to do and the reason the mock drafts are so frequently inaccurate is that the online consensus doesn't really matter anyway -- GMs are going to pick whoever they and their scouts prefer and that has nothing to do with the online consensus.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Based on what though? Your own preference? I would take Ivey or Mathurin if given the chance and I hope we don't take Holmgren or Daniels even if they are available. Mock drafts create the illusion of consensus but the only buzz around Sacramento is that no one has any idea what we're going to do and the reason the mock drafts are so frequently inaccurate is that the online consensus doesn't really matter anyway -- GMs are going to pick whoever they and their scouts prefer and that has nothing to do with the online consensus.
It's really hard to get a read on Monte. I think he will go with BPA but what his assessment of what that means is up in the air.

One thing you will find with this draft is a crazy difference in who to pick at one. Both from a "who will be the best" perspective - in which I've heard no less than 7 players mentioned, and "who you have to pick as the safe pick". There's a lot more talk about the guys that teams let get past them this year than there is about the consensus top 4.

hrdboild

Staff member
It's really hard to get a read on Monte. I think he will go with BPA but what his assessment of what that means is up in the air.

One thing you will find with this draft is a crazy difference in who to pick at one. Both from a "who will be the best" perspective - in which I've heard no less than 7 players mentioned, and "who you have to pick as the safe pick". There's a lot more talk about the guys that teams let get past them this year than there is about the consensus top 4.
Yeah, I find that interesting too. As strong as the consensus has been about the top 3 players, they don't really get a lot of franchise player anticipation. Even Jabari Smith's supporters admit he's probably going to have a Rashard Lewis type of career. The comparisons for Banchero are pretty mediocre in general -- he's a PF who need the ball in his hands to be effective. And then there's Holmgren whose best-case scenario is a stretch 4 with better defense. All of them are fine as prospects -- they all produced as Freshmen and have good size and some significant skills but they provided little to no tournament heroics, no eye-popping athletic feats, nor do they stand out statistically as eventual stars*. All of that is coming from "lesser" prospects this year. Which is weird.

*EDIT: Actually, I should revise that. Holmgren does stand out statistically. I'm really only concerned about him because of his position. Ruby Gobert is a 3x Defensive Player of the Year and his team lost in the first round to a Dallas squad that rated better than them defensively despite playing extreme small ball. The current state of the art defensively in the NBA is all focused on switching to defend picks around the 3pt line, not protecting the paint.

Last edited:
I would rather continue to suck for the next few years than pass on Holmgren at 4 if he's there. He has the highest ceiling of any player in this draft even if he probably has the highest bust potential too. I would be ok with whatever happens but I can't stomach another Luka situation.

hrdboild

Staff member
I would rather continue to suck for the next few years than pass on Holmgren at 4 if he's there. He has the highest ceiling of any player in this draft even if he probably has the highest bust potential too. I would be ok with whatever happens but I can't stomach another Luka situation.
Luka was the best prospect I've personally seen since Lebron. Holmgren is a pretty good prospect. I don't think we're even close to the same ballpark here. And who's to say anyone in this draft isn't the next superstar? Why is Holmgren the only guy you would regret passing on? Previous superstar big prospects DeAndre Ayton, Anthony Davis, and Zion Williamson haven't exactly lit the league on fire and all three of them had significantly more hype and presumed upside than Holmgren.

The known list of players to have worked out with the Kings so far:
  • Efe Abogidi, Washington State
  • Jalen Adaway, St. Bonaventure
  • Keve Aluma, Virginia Tech
  • Jamal Bieniemy, UTEP
  • Buddy Boeheim, Syracuse
  • Keion Brooks, Kentucky
  • Tyler Burton, Richmond
  • Dyson Daniels, NBA G League Ignite
  • Darius Days, LSU
  • Tyson Etienne, Wichita State
  • Grant Golden, Richmond
  • A.J. Green, Northern Iowa
  • Jeriah Horne, Tulsa
  • Zvonimir Ivisic, Croatia
  • Johnny Juzang, UCLA
  • Hyunjung Lee, Davidson
  • Javon Freeman-Liberty, DePaul
  • Kenny Lofton Jr., Louisiana Tech
  • Makur Maker, Sydney Kings (NBL)
  • David McCormack, Kansas
  • Aminu Mohammed, Georgetown
  • Grayson Murphy, Belmont
  • Justyn Mutts, Virginia Tech
  • JD Notae, Arkansas
  • Lester Quinones, Memphis
  • Will Richardson, Oregon
  • Jaden Shackelford, Alabama
  • Malachi Smith, Gonzaga
  • Jeremy Sochan, Baylor
  • Sasha Stefanovic, Purdue
  • Alondes Williams, Wake Forest
  • Trevion Williams, Purdue
  • Lucas Williamson, Loyola

hrdboild

Staff member
The known list of players to have worked out with the Kings so far:
  • Efe Abogidi, Washington State
  • Jalen Adaway, St. Bonaventure
  • Keve Aluma, Virginia Tech
  • Jamal Bieniemy, UTEP
  • Buddy Boeheim, Syracuse
  • Keion Brooks, Kentucky
  • Tyler Burton, Richmond
  • Dyson Daniels, NBA G League Ignite
  • Darius Days, LSU
  • Tyson Etienne, Wichita State
  • Grant Golden, Richmond
  • A.J. Green, Northern Iowa
  • Jeriah Horne, Tulsa
  • Zvonimir Ivisic, Croatia
  • Johnny Juzang, UCLA
  • Hyunjung Lee, Davidson
  • Javon Freeman-Liberty, DePaul
  • Kenny Lofton Jr., Louisiana Tech
  • Makur Maker, Sydney Kings (NBL)
  • David McCormack, Kansas
  • Aminu Mohammed, Georgetown
  • Grayson Murphy, Belmont
  • Justyn Mutts, Virginia Tech
  • JD Notae, Arkansas
  • Lester Quinones, Memphis
  • Will Richardson, Oregon
  • Jaden Shackelford, Alabama
  • Malachi Smith, Gonzaga
  • Jeremy Sochan, Baylor
  • Sasha Stefanovic, Purdue
  • Alondes Williams, Wake Forest
  • Trevion Williams, Purdue
  • Lucas Williamson, Loyola
Jeremy Sochan at #4 confirmed! :)

So i have heard rumblings of a potential trade between heat and raptors involving Tyler Herro for OG Anunoby. I would desperately want the Kings to try to scoop OG. I think Richaun plus #4 is worth more than Herro in the long run and at least as valuable as him in the near term, especially if #4 could be Ivey, Banchero or Holmgren. Frankly Ivey fits their back court very well with FVF. He is a big strong athletic guard who fills the gaps in FVF game as FVF would for him (especially shooting the ball). Pair them with Barnes and Siakam and Holmes, you have a crazy athletic front line with a dead eye shooter and super athletic 2 guard. Potentially 2 ROY back to back. We would also have to send their choice of Len/Harkless and we get OG.

Fox/Mitchell
DDV/TD
OG/Holiday
Barnes/Lyles/Metu
Sabonis.

Use an MLE on a Martin twin and Bamba/Hartenstein/Damian Jones.

Yeah, I find that interesting too. As strong as the consensus has been about the top 3 players, they don't really get a lot of franchise player anticipation. Even Jabari Smith's supporters admit he's probably going to have a Rashard Lewis type of career. The comparisons for Banchero are pretty mediocre in general -- he's a PF who need the ball in his hands to be effective. And then there's Holmgren whose best-case scenario is a stretch 4 with better defense. All of them are fine as prospects -- they all produced as Freshmen and have good size and some significant skills but they provided little to no tournament heroics, no eye-popping athletic feats, nor do they stand out statistically as eventual stars*. All of that is coming from "lesser" prospects this year. Which is weird.

*EDIT: Actually, I should revise that. Holmgren does stand out statistically. I'm really only concerned about him because of his position. Ruby Gobert is a 3x Defensive Player of the Year and his team lost in the first round to a Dallas squad that rated better than them defensively despite playing extreme small ball. The current state of the art defensively in the NBA is all focused on switching to defend picks around the 3pt line, not protecting the paint.
Yeah if a big man is useless against these modern teams on pick and roll he's a dud. However, while Gobert can't cover pick and roll Chet can. Chet could be the unicorn on defense people have been waiting for unless he simply can't absorb contact at the rim. I think he will do OK there but it's a concern for sure.

Agree, with one small caveat. If the consensus around some players' position is strong, chances are they will get picked around that position. If the guy you like is considered a reach at your position, using the consensus to turn your pick into added assets might be a possibility. This is what the Celtics did with Tatum (and the Hawks, less successfully, with Young).

There's always a risk though, if you trade down, that the guy you like might be gone. Plus, most years, there are also guys who fall (and not due to injury concerns). So, there is always some risk, but being able to pick a solid asset (like a 1st round pick in current or near future draft) along with the guy you really want would be pretty intoxicating for a GM. Can't wait for the draft.

forgive me if already said, but does anyone else get shane battier vibes with keegan murray? As in really good role player who will have a long career but not a star
Yeah kind of. Offensively he could potentially put up near star numbers with the right team perhaps. Someone said Danny Granger the other day, maybe a little close but a PF version with less off the dribble abilities. The more I see, the more the Harrison Barnes comps jump out to me. They are scarily similar offensively.

forgive me if already said, but does anyone else get shane battier vibes with keegan murray? As in really good role player who will have a long career but not a star
Maybe not a "star" in traditional sense, but I'm drafting Shane Battier at 4 all day everyday of the week. You need the horses up top, but you don't win titles without those guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.