KINGS PICKING 4TH IN 2022 NBA DRAFT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
To quote Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."
Team defensive rating at nba.com
20-21 30th place out of the 30 teams.
21-22 27th place.

I see that Mitch Kupchak also was closing in on the end of his contract this summer and was extended last week.

I think the Kings, extended Vlade, early-like in April 2019 making the Kings extend through 22-23. Remember that 39 game winning season under Joerger with Vlade as GM. Then, how did that one work out.

Monte has another year at the helm of this team. I argue, let us see what the team does and what it looks like, during the 22-23 season before an extension. Evaluate during the season, to see if the team looks promising, more wins, etc and make a decison. If the team does well, you might have to pay up for Monte. If not, you can easily move on.

For the Kings, it seems that you fire a guy after 2 or 3 years, but you pay the guy for 4 or 5 years.

And it looks to me at present, the Kings continue to pay Vlade, Walton, and Gentry...after their services are no longer desired.

Does this make sense to you?

And by the way, I am certainly not a Monte "hater"...I don't even know why people would use this word in context to possibly extending Monte. Of course, I want the Kings to be sucessfull. I understand the hopes, and also, realize the hype. However, I want to see the W's before I would extend.
It's not like Monte is going to jump ship. Name a GM, who resigned to take another gig? Just when did Monte become the best GM in the league? It's debatable that he's even average.

It's not like Monte is going to jump ship. Name a GM, who resigned to take another gig? Just when did Monte become the best GM in the league? It's debatable that he's even average.
Who said this?

McNair is the best GM the Kings have had in 15 years. Easily, don't think it's even close. That's the comparison ladder most of us care about. No one knows if he builds a long-term winner, but it can't be disputed that he's the first GM to actually give the Kings a chance at developing a winner. That should be given a real chance to be played out with new hire Brown.

Who said this?

McNair is the best GM the Kings have had in 15 years. Easily, don't think it's even close. That's the comparison ladder most of us care about. No one knows if he builds a long-term winner, but it can't be disputed that he's the first GM to actually give the Kings a chance at developing a winner. That should be given a real chance to be played out with new hire Brown.
Who said this? Your reading comprehension is higher than this, Jamal. Why are you confusing a question with a statement?

Comparing Monte to the GMs since Petrie is really not saying much. Low bar. Vlade, Pete...they're never going to be GMs again. Extending Monte, because he's better than two dudes, who sucked as GMs, is not reason to extend him. Earn it.

Which assets has he let walk?
Bogi, I guess. Bucks trade getting mucked up aside, I still think the premise that tying the Kings to an extremely expensive/bad/old core (Fox/Buddy/Bogi/Holmes/Barnes/Bagley at their contracts would be roughly $100 mil) would have been a disaster. Unfortunately, he wasn't given a chance to make a decision between Buddy and Bogi because Vlade inked Buddy to a massive deal and basically played against himself in the market.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Didn't want to comment on Dyson since I hadn't seen a live game, but all the reports on him are incredibly encouraging. This seems like draft twitters dude, and the archetype is reaaal nice, especially if he's truly 1-3 versatility on both ends.

Bigger Ty Haliburton? Oh baby. The shot isn't close, but pretty clear Daniels has significantly better upside on defense. But same type of high-level connector with the passing and bball IQ, according to a lot of these reports.
I like Dyson a LOT. When I thought the Kings would be picking 7th or 8th he was in the mix for me along with Murray, Mathurin, and possibly Sharpe.

I don't think he represents great value at #4 since he may not have star potential and projects more as a really good complimentary player.

But if he were the target in a trade down scenario I wouldn't be upset. If the first three picks go chalk and the Kings don't trade up, you're looking at Ivey or Sharpe as the BPA.

I have some concerns with Ivey in terms of defense and the fact that he's not a true lead guard. There's an easier path to stardom for a big, athletic PG vs an undersized, athletic SG. Sharpe is likely a long way from being a major contributor on the NBA level, if he ever reaches that point. He might be a home run swing, but if McNair is really in "make the playoffs or get fired" territory then I don't see him rolling the dice on Shaedon Sharpe.

If that's the case then I think looking to move down makes sense if there are solid offers available and you still end up with a player like Daniels or Murray.

Who said this? Your reading comprehension is higher than this, Jamal. Why are you confusing a question with a statement?

Comparing Monte to the GMs since Petrie is really not saying much. Low bar. Vlade, Pete...they're never going to be GMs again. Extending Monte, because he's better than two dudes, who sucked as GMs, is not reason to extend him. Earn it.
I mean, we've just inherently disagreed on his value as GM for like over a year now. Thus why we made that deadline bet he'd be fired. I think he's earned it. But especially considering the fact Vivek let him hire a coach to a 4 year deal. Firing him 1 year into that coaching contract just repeats the same Walton nonsense that McNair is just now finally getting out from. If Vivek forces Brown onto the new GM, this team is just eternally doomed and we're all wasting our time. I'd rather invest in a process that may actually work.

I mean, we've just inherently disagreed on his value as GM for like over a year now. Thus why we made that deadline bet he'd be fired. I think he's earned it. But especially considering the fact Vivek let him hire a coach to a 4 year deal. Firing him 1 year into that coaching contract just repeats the same Walton nonsense that McNair is just now finally getting out from. If Vivek forces Brown onto the new GM, this team is just eternally doomed and we're all wasting our time. I'd rather invest in a process that may actually work.
This can happen during or after next season too. The urgency is manufactured. Earn it. Or get fired. Seems simple enough.

In other words, Dyson Daniels is Josh Giddey who plays defense or quite plainly Ben Simmons? What's in the water in Australia?
Lot of good basketball academies here, mostly down south near Melbourne.
In Daniels case, his dad is Ricky Daniels, a NC State product, who went undrafted in the NBA but had a successful career with the Bendigo Braves.
Similar story with Ben Simmons, his dad also originally from the US and went undrafted out of an Oklahoma college but had a successful career with the Melbourne Tigers. Guess its in the genes as well as the waters.
I’m always glad to see these young Australian athletes find success on the biggest stage. Also intrigued by Dyson Daniels defensive savvy.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
That was a stronger draft, but if McNair knows who he wants, I don't think a lottery protected 2024 FRP is a huge deal. If the Kings can just not be in the lottery for once I'd consider that a win.
As long as it's 2024 not next year I don't care what the protections are but top 4 in 2024 would be cool.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Denver just lost it's top two basketball ops guys in two consecutive seasons. I honestly think adding at least one more year would be the smart play.

I like Dyson a LOT. When I thought the Kings would be picking 7th or 8th he was in the mix for me along with Murray, Mathurin, and possibly Sharpe.

I don't think he represents great value at #4 since he may not have star potential and projects more as a really good complimentary player.

But if he were the target in a trade down scenario I wouldn't be upset. If the first three picks go chalk and the Kings don't trade up, you're looking at Ivey or Sharpe as the BPA.

I have some concerns with Ivey in terms of defense and the fact that he's not a true lead guard. There's an easier path to stardom for a big, athletic PG vs an undersized, athletic SG. Sharpe is likely a long way from being a major contributor on the NBA level, if he ever reaches that point. He might be a home run swing, but if McNair is really in "make the playoffs or get fired" territory then I don't see him rolling the dice on Shaedon Sharpe.

If that's the case then I think looking to move down makes sense if there are solid offers available and you still end up with a player like Daniels or Murray.
Yeah I think a trade down is best case scenario for me at this point. I'm just out on Ivey as an elite prospect, after going through this process more and more. The tools are excellent and he absolutely should be elite attacking the basket, but his 3 big weaknesses (shooting, defense, playmaking) are all things that will have to really pop at the NBA level before he becomes a star.

Meanwhile, 6'8 Daniels with a 6'10'5 wingspan with his vision and defensive versatility is real damn interesting and close to a perfect archetype for today's game. If he can actually check 3's on defense, that sky-rockets his value as a secondary wing-creator with 1-3 defensive versatility that doesn't have to handle all the playmaking duties. Fox--DDV--Daniels--Sabonis creation is real dang exciting. The defensive upside of Mitchell--DDV--Daniels? Oh boy.

Murray a 3/4 flex wing with a knock-down shot, weakside rim protection and basically had the best offensive season in the country in terms of workload/efficiency. If HE shows he can check 3's, that also sky-rockets his value, while I think still being an incredibly valuable 2-way player at the 4. And we're just seeing more and more deep into the playoffs that the 6'8-6'10 forwards that don't get played off the court in the PnR are worth their weight in gold; I'd bet Murray is going to fit that bill to a T.

In a draft at 4 without any sense of clear BPA, I like the idea of just betting on valuable NBA archetypes (like Murray, Daniels) with the pick. If those guys hit, you're never finding them outside the draft. I think you can replicate the Ivey skill-set just about every off-season.

So the GM who waited way to long to fire Luke, replaced him with Luke Jr, let bogi go with no assets waited till Bagley had no trade value before getting rid of him, loaded our team with all pgs and no wings, barley made a press conference all 2 years deserves a extension? Hali fell in our laps and we are already trying to replace Mitchell for some reason on this board or delegate him to a permanent bench player. Only good thing he did so far is get a good trade for Hali. Everything else is suspect. Play your contract out and see how his new coaching hire works. And stop blaming the owner for everything

Dyson, Mathew Mayer, Peyton Watson, and/or Pat Baldwin Jr. would be a near perfect draft, if the Kings stay where there are. 6'8, 6'9, 6'8, and 6'10 wings, who can defend, create, and shoot--to varying degrees.
Im just out on Baldwin unless he falls to the 2nd round. He was just so freaking bad and his measurements/athleticism were tragically bad. I get the upside case and that's worth it in the 2nd round, but any GM taking him above like 26 is taking a pretty huge leap of faith that all his issues can be fixed.

I like Watson a lot too. Good upside wing type, super inconsistent.

Yeah I think a trade down is best case scenario for me at this point. I'm just out on Ivey as an elite prospect, after going through this process more and more. The tools are excellent and he absolutely should be elite attacking the basket, but his 3 big weaknesses (shooting, defense, playmaking) are all things that will have to really pop at the NBA level before he becomes a star.

Meanwhile, 6'8 Daniels with a 6'10'5 wingspan with his vision and defensive versatility is real damn interesting and close to a perfect archetype for today's game. If he can actually check 3's on defense, that sky-rockets his value as a secondary wing-creator with 1-3 defensive versatility that doesn't have to handle all the playmaking duties. Fox--DDV--Daniels--Sabonis creation is real dang exciting. The defensive upside of Mitchell--DDV--Daniels? Oh boy.

Murray a 3/4 flex wing with a knock-down shot, weakside rim protection and basically had the best offensive season in the country in terms of workload/efficiency. If HE shows he can check 3's, that also sky-rockets his value, while I think still being an incredibly valuable 2-way player at the 4. And we're just seeing more and more deep into the playoffs that the 6'8-6'10 forwards that don't get played off the court in the PnR are worth their weight in gold; I'd bet Murray is going to fit that bill to a T.

In a draft at 4 without any sense of clear BPA, I like the idea of just betting on valuable NBA archetypes (like Murray, Daniels) with the pick. If those guys hit, you're never finding them outside the draft. I think you can replicate the Ivey skill-set just about every off-season.
Replicating that athletic ability with those skills is nearly impossible. If players pan out with those? Max money, near untouchable, franchise altering. Yeah, somewhere in that range. Even if a player like that busts it's usually a worthwhile gamble.

Love to see when people shout out their predictions like they are foregone conclusions, regardless of my stance on any of your points. I understand this generation is about who can scream the loudest regardless of any fact or truth but this is just ridiculous.
Hardly shouting when the text was not bolded, capitalized or italicized. Nor did the sentence end in an exclamation point. Yes I believe Barnes will be gone as a full free agent after next year but that is hardly a unique point of view.

The only shouting is you with your hands over your eyes trying to avoid the likely outcome (per most NBA pundits) that you chose to bold.

Im just out on Baldwin unless he falls to the 2nd round. He was just so freaking bad and his measurements/athleticism were tragically bad. I get the upside case and that's worth it in the 2nd round, but any GM taking him above like 26 is taking a pretty huge leap of faith that all his issues can be fixed.

I like Watson a lot too. Good upside wing type, super inconsistent.
Mayer tested in the top 5 for agility. That's crazy for a dude, who is 6'9.

Watson was buried behind a number of future NBA pros for most of the year: Jaquez, Juzang, Jaylen Clark, and Jules Bernard. I'm surprised he entered the draft. Probably goes in the lottery next year, but he probably thinks the guys I've named will be back as well.

As for Baldwin, I see a diamond there. Look at the balance, skill, and physical metrics.

Mayer tested in the top 5 for agility. That's crazy for a dude, who is 6'9.

Watson was buried behind a number of future NBA pros for most of the year: Jaquez, Juzang, Jaylen Clark, and Jules Bernard. I'm surprised he entered the draft. Probably goes in the lottery next year, but he probably thinks the guys I've named will be back as well.

As for Baldwin, I see a diamond there. Look at the balance, skill, and physical metrics.
Yeah I think optimal scenario is a team gets him in the 2nd round, bets on that high school pedigree, gives him real burn in the G-League and expect nothing year 1/2 from him. Take the long approach.

But if he's pick 18 or something, he'll have a pretty quick expectation I don't see him ready for.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
What do you guys think Mathurin's floor/ceiling is?
Well, I'm on the extreme end here because I think he's the best player in the draft but I'll give you my take anyway. His ceiling to me is something like a Klay Thompson or Devin Booker -- not so much in playstyle but as wing players who you pencil in to the All Star team every year so long as they're healthy. It's possible he never improves his defense, ballhandling, or playmaking and still makes a living as a spot-up shooter and occasional target for lobs at the rim. So I would describe his floor as someone like Terrance Ross perhaps?

EDIT: Here's a pretty good overview video of his general strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited:
So if Daniels is now in our conversation at least there’s recent play to go on.
I still recon for the Kings he’s a trade down which is a pretty good possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.