Kings out of the picture for Iverson...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
All this speculation about what the Kings might give up for Iverson may well have been an exercise in futility...and something to occupy our thoughts for the past few days.

I've heard the Kings are definitely out of the picture.

Ah, well.

Back to talking about tonight's game. :D

GO KINGS!!!

Oh well. If we are out of it, it's probably because Philly wanted Martin in a trade pkg also. At least that's what I heard this morning on the Rise Guys. Scoop from ESPN said that if he were Sac, that'd be asking for too much and I agree. :)

All this speculation about what the Kings might give up for Iverson may well have been an exercise in futility...and something to occupy our thoughts for the past few days.

I've heard the Kings are definitely out of the picture.

Ah, well.

Back to talking about tonight's game. :D

GO KINGS!!!
HOORAY!!!

Oh well. If we are out of it, it's probably because Philly wanted Martin in a trade pkg also. At least that's what I heard this morning on the Rise Guys. Scoop from ESPN said that if he were Sac, that'd be asking for too much and I agree. :)
Yea that might have been the case

NBA's Kings Won't Trade for Allen Iverson, Owner Maloof Says

By Scott Soshnick

Dec. 12 (Bloomberg) -- Remove the Sacramento Kings from the list of possible new teams for Allen Iverson, a former Most Valuable Player who has demanded a trade from the Philadelphia 76ers.

``We're staying away,'' Kings co-owner Joe Maloof said in a telephone interview. ``We're not going forward.''

The Kings were among a handful of teams that publicly disclosed an interest in the National Basketball Association's leading scorer when the 31-year-old guard's trade demand was made public last week.

Maloof didn't say why the Kings had changed their mind.

Iverson, a four-time NBA scoring champion, rejected a proposed trade that would have sent him to the Charlotte Bobcats, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported.

Among the teams interested in Iverson are the Boston Celtics, Indiana Pacers, Minnesota Timberwolves and Denver Nuggets, the newspaper said.

Iverson joined the 76ers as the first pick in the 1996 draft. He led Philadelphia to the NBA Finals in 2001, when the seven-time All-Star was named the league's MVP.

To contact the reporter on this story: Scott Soshnick in New York at ssoshnick@bloomberg.net

Last Updated: December 12, 2006 16:22 EST

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601079&sid=a.XpMG4K2u4o&refer=home#

Here's the latest rumor...

K......here is what he knows..was a 2 min conversation as he said its very busy and multiple scenarios still being explored.

Minny,GSW,SAC,BOS still in AI derby. Others still involved indirectly in 3 ways...didnt get into who they were.

Variation of the earlier Kings deals being discussed.......adding GSW into the mix. It was something like this...dont quote me on it...but I think he said the following:

Sixers give Ollie,Dalembert,Bobby Jones or Steven Smith,Iverson
Sixers gets Bibby,Kenny Thomas,Fran Garcia,Ike Diogu,#1 pick

Kings give Bibby,Garcia,Kenny Thomas
Kings get Baron,Dalembert,Ollie

GSW give Baron,Ike,#1
GSW gets Iverson,Bobby Jones or Steven Smith

Minny still trying to find something to add to Foye from another team including a #1 from somewhere.

Boston still wants to hold onto Jefferson. Not looking likely for Boston..called them last place out of the 4 still vying as of now.

The two team SAC deal still alive too..if they want to cut out GSW. But the big news right now..is some variation of the 9 player deal above.

By Scott Soshnick

Dec. 12 (Bloomberg) -- Remove the Sacramento Kings from the list of possible new teams for Allen Iverson, a former Most Valuable Player who has demanded a trade from the Philadelphia 76ers.

``We're staying away,'' Kings co-owner Joe Maloof said in a telephone interview. ``We're not going forward.''

The Kings were among a handful of teams that publicly disclosed an interest in the National Basketball Association's leading scorer when the 31-year-old guard's trade demand was made public last week.

Iverson, a four-time NBA scoring champion, rejected a proposed trade that would have sent him to the Charlotte Bobcats, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported.

Among the teams interested in Iverson are the Boston Celtics, Indiana Pacers, Minnesota Timberwolves and Denver Nuggets, the newspaper said.

Iverson joined the 76ers as the first pick in the 1996 draft. He led Philadelphia to the NBA Finals in 2001, when the seven-time All-Star was named the league's MVP.

To contact the reporter on this story: Scott Soshnick in New York at ssoshnick@bloomberg.net

The interesting thing about these kinds of public statements made DURING negotiations is, we have to consider Maloof could be talking in order to have an impact on the negotiations.

Like walking away from the car at the car dealership. "Sorry, not interested."

Car Salesman: "Wait, let me see if I can get you a getter deal!"

piksi

Hall of Famer
Here's the latest rumor...

K......here is what he knows..was a 2 min conversation as he said its very busy and multiple scenarios still being explored.

Minny,GSW,SAC,BOS still in AI derby. Others still involved indirectly in 3 ways...didnt get into who they were.

Variation of the earlier Kings deals being discussed.......adding GSW into the mix. It was something like this...dont quote me on it...but I think he said the following:

Sixers give Ollie,Dalembert,Bobby Jones or Steven Smith,Iverson
Sixers gets Bibby,Kenny Thomas,Fran Garcia,Ike Diogu,#1 pick

Kings give Bibby,Garcia,Kenny Thomas
Kings get Baron,Dalembert,Ollie

GSW give Baron,Ike,#1
GSW gets Iverson,Bobby Jones or Steven Smith

Minny still trying to find something to add to Foye from another team including a #1 from somewhere.

Boston still wants to hold onto Jefferson. Not looking likely for Boston..called them last place out of the 4 still vying as of now.

The two team SAC deal still alive too..if they want to cut out GSW. But the big news right now..is some variation of the 9 player deal above.

No thanks!

The interesting thing about these kinds of public statements made DURING negotiations is, we have to consider Maloof could be talking in order to have an impact on the negotiations.

Like walking away from the car at the car dealership. "Sorry, not interested."

Car Salesman: "Wait, let me see if I can get you a getter deal!"

so what does that mean?

putting a side I am a kings fan, i would love to see him end up in minn and play beside KG. As a kings fan i would like him to end up in ind.

By Scott Soshnick

So what is more of a gamble? Hoping our team gets it together or making a trade for a superstar, which we have never had.

/rant.

Thanks NBrans.

so what does that mean?
I don't know. I'm just saying, people on the inside often make public comments during negotiations in order to bring pressure on the negotiation from another front.

I've seen it happen too many times.

What this means here, I haven't a clue.

But the Artest deal was dead before it happened as well.

Really, though, I wonder what happened? It's kind of strange that the Kings seemed to be right there in intense discussion and then backed out publicly before the deal is done.

Some random, uninformed speculation (pure conjecture):

1. Philly got a better deal (but then, why say you're not in until Philly has pulled the trigger?)
2. Kings' offer had an expiration date.
3. Posturing to get Philly to cave
4. Kings got word Iverson doesn't want to come to Sacramento.

I mean, it just seems kind of strange to go from intense to "we're not going forward" before the deal is done.

Really, though, I wonder what happened? It's kind of strange that the Kings seemed to be right there in intense discussion and then backed out publicly before the deal is done.

Some random, uninformed speculation (pure conjecture):

1. Philly got a better deal (but then, why say you're not in until Philly has pulled the trigger?)
2. Kings' offer had an expiration date.
3. Posturing to get Philly to cave
4. Kings got word Iverson doesn't want to come to Sacramento.

I mean, it just seems kind of strange to go from intense to "we're not going forward" before the deal is done.
Yep. The fact that they said something at this point makes me wonder what's going on.

I have said this before, and I still think part of it is the Garnett effect at work--yeah, we may have been one of the frontrunners, but maybe we were only one of a number of teams who were considered frontrunners--some media mentioned us as a serious/the most serious candidate, while others didn't mention us at all. Other fans who might have been very excited about the possibility of getting AI might have also overestimated the probability that their team was going to be the one making the trade. Of course, thinking that "we're going to get AI" is less unreasonable/unrealistic than thinking that "we're going to get KG", but the effect of overestimating the probability of such a trade happening is still there.