Kings notes: Stojakovic says he hopes to return tonight

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/12495906p-13351624c.html

Kings notes: Stojakovic says he hopes to return tonight
[font=verdana,geneva,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Wednesday, March 2, 2005

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Help could be on the way for the Kings tonight.

Forward Peja Stojakovic, who has missed the past seven games because of a strained right hamstring and the flu, said he hopes to play against the Orlando Magic.

The flu is long gone, but Stojakovic said Tuesday he still felt a little tightness in his hamstring and opted to see how much better he would feel with one more day of rest.

"I want to be healthy when I come back and not go out for three weeks again," he said.

The availability of center Brad Miller (right calf bruise) and forward Darius Songaila (strained tendon, left foot) will not be determined until they work out before the game. Songaila missed his first game of the season Tuesday.

Skinner steps in and up - Newcomer Brian Skinner started for Miller and established season highs in minutes (41), points (15), rebounds (16) and blocks (three).

"I want to come in and try to help this team without making too much noise," said Skinner, part of last Wednesday's six-player trade with the Philadelphia 76ers. "I don't want to mess up the continuity or chemistry the team already had established.

"This is my seventh year in the league, and I pretty much have an idea how I can help. I know what my role is. I'm not going to be shooting 18-footers."
- Martin McNeal
[/font]

LMM said:
http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/12495906p-13351624c.html

"I want to come in and try to help this team without making too much noise," said Skinner, part of last Wednesday's six-player trade with the Philadelphia 76ers. "I don't want to mess up the continuity or chemistry the team already had established.

"This is my seventh year in the league, and I pretty much have an idea how I can help. I know what my role is. I'm not going to be shooting 18-footers."
- Martin McNeal

[/font]
That's a great thing to hear from this guy, i think he can actually help us out a lot, and although we lost last night i was really happy with the way he played.

piksi

Hall of Famer
LMM said:

[/font]
Thank You

I also like the comment by the Pharaoh Skinner. He knows what he needs to do and he is doing it. I just hope he can sustain it.

Come on Peja baby...come back to us. It has been too long.

if miller and peja don't play tonight it'll be another LONG night of ugly baketball for the kings. at least they'll have energy tonight since they didn't use any last night.

Gary

All-Star
Sounds like the guy is smart, and he knows his limitations. He won't try to do things he cannot do, which I applaud. For ***** and giggles why not just give him the starting center job, and move Miller to PF. I know this was in another thread, but he could be giving us some rebounding and inside presense that we need. At least try him out for the heck of it. Bring Songalia, Thomas, and Williamson off the bench. Once Jackson is back we would have one HELL of an eight man rotation for the playoffs... Toughness inside, rebounding, outside shooting, slashing...

Skinner-Miller
Miller-Thomas-Williamson
Peja-Williamson-Thomas
Mobley-Jackson-Bibby
Bibby-Jackson

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinda hope Adelman tries out the following at least one game to see what its like:

PG -- Bibby
SF -- Peja
C -- Skinner
PF -- Miller
SG -- Mobley

Miller performed admirably last season at the PF spot. That would be awsome against not-so-athletic teams. Against athletic teams I woul start Miller C and Thomas PF.

What do you guys think?

PFFFT!! said:
Kinda hope Adelman tries out the following at least one game to see what its like:

PG -- Bibby
SF -- Peja
C -- Skinner
PF -- Miller
SG -- Mobley

Miller performed admirably last season at the PF spot. That would be awsome against not-so-athletic teams. Against athletic teams I woul start Miller C and Thomas PF.

What do you guys think?
Wouldnt mind seeing that myself. Might be a good lineup.

I hope Pedja's back tonight! To help the team...and also cause I miss seeing him on court!

I really like Skinner...those are some good quotes by him. :)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
There's no real reason to flip flop Skinner and Miller at C/PF. The point would just be to add a large physical rebounder/shot blocker type next to Brad (kind of a very very very very VERY poor man's Jermaine O'Neal), but Skinner could still be the PF and match against guys more his size.

Thing is that Skinner is not always going to give you 15 and 15 with 3 blocks (as a starter last year his numbers were about half of that), and he's not always going to be playing the Bobcats. I like him, and think there is a logic to starting him, but KT probably has the better overall set of skills for our offense and if we start Skinner then we get very small/weak with our second line of big men (Thomas/Darius).

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:
There's no real reason to flip flop Skinner and Miller at C/PF. The point would just be to add a large physical rebounder/shot blocker type next to Brad (kind of a very very very very VERY poor man's Jermaine O'Neal), but Skinner could still be the PF and match against guys more his size.

Thing is that Skinner is not always going to give you 15 and 15 with 3 blocks (as a starter last year his numbers were about half of that), and he's not always going to be playing the Bobcats. I like him, and think there is a logic to starting him, but KT probably has the better overall set of skills for our offense and if we start Skinner then we get very small/weak with our second line of big men (Thomas/Darius).
While I tned to agree with you about Skinner not putting numbers like last nithts on a regular bassis, I also not convinced he can't either. Remember he was palying in Philly which pretty much means that anyone who's name is not Iverson will be under utalized. Skiner did put up pretty respectable numbers in MIl whenhe palyed on a more ballanced team, so it is not out of thequestion that he could be a 15-20 point 7-10 rb player.