Kings notes: Easy baskets thing of past

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
In fact I think it means pretty much everything BUT blocking shots. Normally its referring to getting your hands on the ball in a way that does not show up in the stats. Knocking the ball away or loose, disrupting, trying to create havoc. Also of course leads to a lot of fouls. We don't really have many people naturally good at that though. Ron, Cisco...maybe Kevin + Douby, maybe Kenny if you squint hard enough.

Indeed, they're a part of that thing called "intangibles". ;)

Most people don't think about them much or at all because they aren't explosive/exciting/flashy. Also sometimes hard to notice because of the whole basketball game environment or because they happen too quick.

I don't think it's just a matter of who's "good" or "fitting" for deflections, but preaching and teaching it to the team so they get that mindset during games. Which in turn will rub off on the team. And, from what I've gathered through various media sources since Musselman has arrived - is part of what Musselman has done, and will continue to do.

As far as who is obvious in relation to deflections, Salmons I think would fit into that as well. Same for Price, Hart, Corliss, SAR. All of whom have shown the ability (varying with minutes, occasions) or have the tools to fit into that.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Indeed, they're a part of that thing called "intangibles". ;)

Most people don't think about them much or at all because they aren't explosive/exciting/flashy. Also sometimes hard to notice because of the whole basketball game environment or because they happens too quick.

I don't think it's just a matter of who's "good" or "fitting" for deflections, but preaching and teaching it to the team so they get that mindset during games. Which in turn will rub off on the team. Which, from what I've gathered through various media sources - is what Musselman has done and will continue to do.

As far as who is obvious in relation to deflections, Salmons I think would fit into that as well. Same for Price, Hart, Corliss, SAR. All of whom have shown the ability (varying with minutes, occasions) or have the tools to fit into that.

Its a skill like anything else. People often treat defense as a pure effort thing. Its not. Some people have much better instincts, quicker hands, quicker feet etc. Those players aren't ours unfortunately. I did omit Price/Hart however -- they have some ability there. Salmons never really has, whatever the results in the first preseason game. You can ask a team to play more aggressively on defense, but whether that will be effective aggression, or just lead to lots of foul problems and open lanes to the hoop opening up depends a lot on personnel.

It is a skill, yes, but it varies, which comes into play with our roster and the instructing from Musselman.

Salmons never really "has" shown it, I guess so - meaning in Philly. I think, like his overall oppurtunity, it's a different situation with us. He has the ability and attributes to do so in a significant form, coupled with Musselman's coaching.

Just have to see on the last part. I'm confident it'll ultimately work out over most of the season. :)

Last edited:
Well,that was one thing about the first game, some of the fouls were not very smart. As an example, (not to pick on him) Cisco tries to block perimeter jump shots sometimes and last game it resulted in a four-point play. *ouch*

Sometimes there are back court violations that just seem like a waste of a foul, or worse, if we're already into penalty. I'm assuming that'll been cleaned up as we go along. A lot of guys are just eager to impress right now.