[Game] Kings @ Jazz - 1/14/16 - 6 PT, 9 ET

I think people need to lay off the Rudy Gay hate.

Sure he has been inconsistent this season and is not the Rudy Gay we have become accustomed to in previous 2 seasons but he is still a very good player when used in the right way and a legitimate #2 option behind Cousins for us.

If we trade him, we are not getting an upgrade in talent I can guarantee it. He is a proven 20ppg player and a legitimately good #2 option on a good team.

Sure he has been inconsistent this season and is not the Rudy Gay we have become accustomed to in previous 2 seasons but he is still a very good player when used in the right way and a legitimate #2 option behind Cousins for us.

If we trade him, we are not getting an upgrade in talent I can guarantee it. He is a proven 20ppg player and a legitimately good #2 option on a good team.
I do think that one problem is he's not a particularly good 3 point shooter. I agree that we won't get an upgrade in talent but might get a better fit for how Karl wants to play. And before anybody says Cousins is being misused ... averaging 30+ in Jan, most shots around the rim (last game he took an unusual number of 3s trying to shoot us back into the game). How many FTs did he get against the Jazz again? Hardly the OMG KARL JUST PLAYS COUSINS AS A GUARD line that people have been spouting. With Rondo and WCS not being floor spacers teams will pack the paint on any sort of Cuz post ups, and that's where we need guys who are good catch and shoot players.

I do think that one problem is he's not a particularly good 3 point shooter. I agree that we won't get an upgrade in talent but might get a better fit for how Karl wants to play. And before anybody says Cousins is being misused ... averaging 30+ in Jan, most shots around the rim (last game he took an unusual number of 3s trying to shoot us back into the game). How many FTs did he get against the Jazz again? Hardly the OMG KARL JUST PLAYS COUSINS AS A GUARD line that people have been spouting. With Rondo and WCS not being floor spacers teams will pack the paint on any sort of Cuz post ups, and that's where we need guys who are good catch and shoot players.
Those are all fair points BUT he has not lost his ability over night. While his scoring is down on previous years, he is still producing a respectable season on a nice FG% despite getting played at the 4 for large amounts of the time.

As for his defence, the whole freaking defensive scheme sucks making a number of solid defenders into chairs.

Coach Karl said Cousins was first option but Rondo could see it was too congested so flipped it to Rudy who was positioned with right hand favorite spot on floor. Swish - game winner.
exactly why we brought him here for - to be the 2nd option and to make the most of the focus on boogie

sure as hell beasted Gordon Hayward tonight.

top 3 SF in the West is rudy

Rudy is a tremendous value even with his current contract, let alone after next season. With that being said, his value is why he may be the only movable piece on this team. I don't think people hate Rudy, I think they are just frustrated at his Harvey Dent personality where you don't know if you are getting the 2-6 for 8 points Rudy or the 12-16 28 point Rudy.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Dang it Rudy!

Way to win the game for us on a day I call you "fools gold".

I hate it when he makes it hard to hate on him. :p

So glad we won this. Not sad i missed it though. I don't need more gray hairs. I'm trying to pass for 25 on tinder over here!

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
... And before anybody says Cousins is being misused ... averaging 30+ in Jan, most shots around the rim (last game he took an unusual number of 3s trying to shoot us back into the game). How many FTs did he get against the Jazz again? Hardly the OMG KARL JUST PLAYS COUSINS AS A GUARD line that people have been spouting...
Um... naw. Not gonna be able to do it. The last seven games do not invalidate the first thirty-two, when Karl has absolutely been playing Cousins like a guard. If Karl allows Cousins to play like he's played in January for the remaining forty-three games, then I'll lay off him. Not before.

I

Im Still Ballin

Acy and Casspi all shown signs of great play are starters. Karl has done his best to get the starting lineup right inbetween injuries.

This team is so hard to figure.

Lay an egg last night against a bottom tier team, all with several days rest --- yet WIN tonight on the road against a better team in a back-to-back situation.

Love the WIN, don't like the roller coaster ride thus far. ;)

missed this game, unfortunately, but of course we win this one lol

This is the most confusing team we've ever had, and thats saying a LOT. No doubt in mind that we're better than this Utah team, but i just wish we'd play
like it more often.

the same day a Rudy Gay is being shopped rumor appears is the same day he nails the game winning shot...maybe that will boost his trade value now. Prior to that shot he made a three as well so he did come up clutch in the fourth.
only way im down for a trade is if we get someone in return that can create their own shot. Say what you want about Gay, but without him, our offense would be even
more of a disaster without Cousins. Who in the world do we go to?

Lay an egg last night against a bottom tier team, all with several days rest --- yet WIN tonight on the road against a better team in a back-to-back situation.

days off aren't always a good thing in this league

Well Utah was missing their starting PF, shot 17% from 3 and were on a back to back as well....

K

KingMilz

Acy and Casspi all shown signs of great play are starters. Karl has done his best to get the starting lineup right inbetween injuries.
He's also managed to nearly completely negate WCS who is clearly NBA ready and impacts the game more than anyone not named Cousins. The guy needs to play the right people today he had 2K guarding Lyles who destroyed everyone on him and the one guy that could have defended him aside from WCS, Acy didn't even get into the game.

I'm glad we won but reality is we beat a team who's starting C is not 100%, the core of there scoring aside from Hayward is injured and we got a legendary game from Cousins, best game of Wcs and one of Rudys better games and needed a bail out jumper at the end of regulation. The wins great but man its concerning it's that close under the circumstances .

Last edited by a moderator:

A. Because he gets the volume to do so. He's been one of the least efficient high volume scorers, even with his improvements in Sac, throughout his career.

B. Since when? He went to the playoffs once with Memphis, and they went on a 5 year run of being a western conference staple in the playoffs. Toronto couldn't get rid of him fast enough and have risen to the top of the East basically the second he left town. We've seen 0 progress in his two years with us.

A. Because he gets the volume to do so. He's been one of the least efficient high volume scorers, even with his improvements in Sac, throughout his career.

B. Since when? He went to the playoffs once with Memphis, and they went on a 5 year run of being a western conference staple in the playoffs. Toronto couldn't get rid of him fast enough and have risen to the top of the East basically the second he left town. We've seen 0 progress in his two years with us.
So Rudy is to blame, when the Raptors decided to pair him with DeRozan (another mid range volume scorer), Lowry (a shot happy PG) and Ross (another shooter)?

And Memphis decided to part ways with Rudy, because he hurt their franchise and not because they overpayed him and wanted to save costs?

I'm frustrated with Rudy too, but the thesis of the career long loser, who made teams worse is shaky.

only way im down for a trade is if we get someone in return that can create their own shot. Say what you want about Gay, but without him, our offense would be even
more of a disaster without Cousins. Who in the world do we go to?
These are NBA players. Given the opportunity on a consistent basis, we'd still be able to put the ball in the basket without Gay.

Rondo is really having problems on the defensive end but playing well on offense. I wonder if it's because the back or is it those old injuries lingering again.