Kings have reached an agreement in principle to make Pete D'Alessandro GM

This is a LOT better than some of the names. I am happy with this one, as long as someone quality is hired as the President of Basketball Operations or whatever it is called to assist Pete.

Glad to see this. A great salary cap guy which is hugely important with a small market team. Surround him with some good basketball minds (even someone like Layden who had success finding talent early in his career) and we've got a good start.

I am very happy that the Kings hired a GM before the draft. I was concerned that they would not have one in place before then. Pete Dallas (what I am calling him to remember his name, lol) has 12 days to decide who he wants to draft.

well, Denver is truly and utterly screwed, I guess. not too bad a haul for us, I'm happy at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sactownfan

Pete D'Alessandro is a great add!!!! There had been some talk about having a two headed GM tandem. If we were to add a Wallace now then i feel safer knowing that Pete D will be putting the breaks on any Rudy Gay like contract offers. if Pete D'Alessandro is the Man then he was consider to be the front runner for Denver so im cool with that too. seems like Vivek is putting together more of a think tank than a single decider system. which is Viveks style and encouraging

I can absolutely accept that! Like it has been said, a LOT better then some of the names thrown around recently.

I 100% support him until he makes a big mistake. =D

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I'm certainly OK with this - obviously I don't know much about D'Alessandro outside of the bare minimum we've seen around here, but I'd rather take a chance on somebody fresh than retread guys who we already know are prone to questionable (if not downright bad) moves. I was basically in the Schlenk/D'Alessandro camp and it's not like I can debate the merits of the two, so one is as good as the other and I'm ready to give him a full opportunity.

Now if Ranadive really wants to bring out Kenny Smith into some front office role...hey, fine by me. Now that we know he wouldn't be in charge, he probably can't mess anything up too much.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pete D'Alessandro is a great add!!!! There had been some talk about having a two headed GM tandem. If we were to add a Wallace now then i feel safer knowing that Pete D will be putting the breaks on any Rudy Gay like contract offers. if Pete D'Alessandro is the Man then he was consider to be the front runner for Denver so im cool with that too. seems like Vivek is putting together more of a think tank than a single decider system. which is Viveks style and encouraging
I think if the 2 headed GM approach is used we'll see Schlenk as the second half of the tandem.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick 12m

Can confirm Kings are hiring Denver VP of basketball ops Pete D'Alessandro as GM. Story to come at @USATODAYsports

Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave 4m

“@ed_m7: Seriously though, how cool is it to hire people who are well regarded around the league and that other teams want?” VERY COOL

I'm certainly OK with this - obviously I don't know much about D'Alessandro outside of the bare minimum we've seen around here, but I'd rather take a chance on somebody fresh than retread guys who we already know are prone to questionable (if not downright bad) moves. I was basically in the Schlenk/D'Alessandro camp and it's not like I can debate the merits of the two, so one is as good as the other and I'm ready to give him a full opportunity.

Now if Ranadive really wants to bring out Kenny Smith into some front office role...hey, fine by me. Now that we know he wouldn't be in charge, he probably can't mess anything up too much.
Right! Although I don't think Kenny was ever considered for that kind of role in the first place

Starting out with a young, fresh and HUNGRY crew, is a pretty cool way to go about it. Hope it all works out

Awesome news. Vivek got it right. Kind of feel bad for Denver though. Lost their GM, Head Coach, and now what was presumed to be their next GM in just a couple of weeks.

I wonder if Chris Mullin will now be a target for team president, he and D'Alessandro are good friends according to a denverpost.com article that went up just a few minutes ago

bajaden

Hall of Famer
On the surface this seems like a good hire. What I didn't want was another retread. I wanted a fresh mind with new ideas on how to get things done. I don't know much about D'Alessandro other than he's susposed to be a salary cap guru, and was considered the front runner for the Denver job. I'm sure we'll know more in the coming days. Anyway, I'm happy its over! Now we can get down to business.

Maybe I'm on my own here, but I dunno too much about D'Allesandro myself, although I know enough about Wallace, Kenny Smith and the others that I am happy it's NOT them...lol.

'D'Alessandro's first orders of business with the Kings will be the June 27 NBA draft, where the Kings select seventh, and how to proceed with talented, but enigmatic center DeMarcus Cousins. D'Alessandro has been a proponent of giving Cousins every opportunity to succeed with the Kings and creating a culture with which he could flourish, sources told Yahoo! Sports.'

I like him already!

And some more on him:

Sam: And cap-management? How well has he been navigating the CBA?
Kalen: Well, that responsibility has pretty much fallen on assistant general manager Pete D-Alessandro, by all accounts. He’s supposedly one of the most informed and intelligent cap guys in the league

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Maybe I'm on my own here, but I dunno too much about D'Allesandro myself, although I know enough about Wallace, Kenny Smith and the others that I am happy it's NOT them...lol.
He appears to understand roles as well as the value of defense.

Valued players like Nene, McGee, Mosgov, Faried who are all defensive role playing bigs, although McGee is a nutcase.

Values off the ball shooters and understands needing to spread the floor, with guys like Galo, Fournier and Melo previously.

Values defensive role playing wings, as we've seen with Iggy, Chandler, Afflalo and Brewer.

Seems to understand you can only have 1-2 ball dominant players on the floor at once which is vital if true. Den usually had 1-2 ball dominant players alongside defensive role players, wings or bigs and floor spacing shooters.

Put it this way, Cuz is the centerpiece and is ball dominant. What I would expect is he'll pick one other ball dominant player, preferably Reke to me but others will disagree, and surround them with defensive role players and wings who are spot up shooters, floor spreaders. And, I'd expect him to go after a guy like Faried to put next to Cuz, which would be great. I doubt we'll ever see an IT/Reke/Salmons lineup again, thankfully.

Last edited:
Awesome to see Vivek do his homework and get it right again. I'm so excited for the real TDOS to begin...Draft, FAs, Summer League, Training Camp. This is how quality teams are formed!

Glenn

Hall of Famer
'D'Alessandro's first orders of business with the Kings will be the June 27 NBA draft, where the Kings select seventh, and how to proceed with talented, but enigmatic center DeMarcus Cousins. D'Alessandro has been a proponent of giving Cousins every opportunity to succeed with the Kings and creating a culture with which he could flourish, sources told Yahoo! Sports.'

I like him already!

And some more on him:

Sam: And cap-management? How well has he been navigating the CBA?
Kalen: Well, that responsibility has pretty much fallen on assistant general manager Pete D-Alessandro, by all accounts. He’s supposedly one of the most informed and intelligent cap guys in the league

Good note. Thanks. I'm sure happy with this pick given the other names thrown about. Looks like Ranadive is not going to skimp on good management and if the team begins to fit as well as the FO, we'll be fine. He has worked with Malone before.