Kings get one on the road

sacbee

Kings get one on the road

Sacramento looks like old self, rebounds from Seattle debacle

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Sunday, November 14, 2004

PHOENIX - After the Kings' 113-111 victory over the Phoenix Suns on Saturday night, Doug Christie was making a hasty departure from the locker room when he started to play around with the English language.

"I felt a lot better," Christie, hampered by tender foot tissue, said after playing a season-high 34 minutes and contributing 10 points, six assists, four steals and two blocked shots. "That felt almost Kings-ish, if that even is a word." OAS_AD('Button20');

A word it is not, but a feeling it certainly is. And following a 30-point loss at Seattle in which the Kings' effort and mental toughness easily could have been questioned, Christie's description was accurate.

It also applied to the way coach Rick Adelman shortened his rotation. Basically, he used just seven players, with Matt Barnes receiving an eight-minute run. But each of those seven players produced and played intelligently at each end of the court as the Kings won their first road game after four losses.

Brad Miller, who had 14 points and seven rebounds, hit the game's biggest shot. His 21-footer from the top of the key gave Sacramento a 112-109 lead with 24.9 seconds left.

Chris Webber led the Kings in scoring (28 points) and rebounding (10) and was solid all night from the field, making 12 of 23 shots. His partners in shooting woe entering the game, Peja Stojakovic and Bobby Jackson, also played major roles.

Stojakovic made 8 of 15 shots, including 4 of 7 three-point attempts, on the way to 23 points. He entered the game shooting 34.6 percent from the field and 19.4 percent from three-point range.

"I figured out that at some point my shots were going to start to fall," Stojakovic said. "I mean, I've really been shooting poorly. That's not me. But it's also about our team and how we play. When we move the ball and people, that is the way we have to play."

Jackson, playing primarily with the team's core unit, sank 5 of 9 shots for 10 timely points.

"Yeah, I felt more comfortable playing with the guys who have been here," Jackson said. "It's nothing against the young guys. They just have to learn the offense and learn how we play, and we have to learn how they play."

The Kings put up more familiar offensive numbers, shooting 49.4 percent (43 of 87), including 46.7 percent (7 of 15) from three-point range. They also made 90.9 percent (20 of 22) of their free throws. And at the other end, they forced 17 turnovers that they converted into 21 points.

Forced turnovers usually reveal the amount of energy and activity the Kings exert. Without such energy, even lights-out shooting might not be enough against a good team.

"We were so much better offensively than we have been," Adelman said after the Kings never let the high-scoring Suns gain a double-digit lead. "When we play better offensively, we don't have to be as good defensively. And that's good, because we're not that great of a defensive team. But if we move the ball and play well offensively as a team, that's how we stay in games."

Still, the Suns (4-2) made the Kings sweat at the end. Christie missed 1 of 2 free throws and the chance to give Sacramento a three-point advantage with 12.8 seconds left. But good looks at jump shots by Shawn Marion and Joe Johnson did not fall for Phoenix in the final four seconds.

Adelman's reserves could receive a chance to play tonight against Denver at Arco Arena. Despite the back-to-back set, the coach brought only Jackson, Darius Songaila and Barnes, in a cameo, off the bench.

"I was planning on playing Matt more," Adelman said, "but Peja got it going, and I wanted him to keep his rhythm. He needs to get going, and we have to start getting some momentum. The young guys can play (tonight), but we needed to get this game."

Webber said the victory was satisfying. "It felt a lot better," he said. "The way we were in a groove, we saw it coming."

they did seem "King-ish" :p

it feels like the summer has just now ended and they are back for the first time.
i hope the home games would secure that confidence even more.
yay,
GO KINGS!

whoa whoa whoa back the train up

DC got 4 steals AND 2 block shots???

yeah it definetly seems as if we got Christie back in full effect...if not full effect than damn near it

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
piksi said:
Let's hope that the extreme short rotation from last night will not have a negative effect tonight.
Yeah, that's the main thing I took from the game. :rolleyes:

Geez, dude - are you ever just happy for a win, just for a minute???

We saw good things last night, IMHO - well at least those of you who got to watch the game did.

Pedja is starting to get his stroke back, Webber was a monster, and Doug is well on his way back to being Doug.

Those are good things. Like Bobby said the new guys still need to learn the offense and how the veterans play, and the veterans have to learn how the new guys play. Adelman did the right thing last night FOR last night's game.

The Kings are still trying to settle in to their new routine, with new players, etc.

Personally, I'm ecstatic about last night's win. It shows what they're capable of doing. Do I expect every single game from now on to be that way? Of course not, but I'm certainly encouraged.

GO KINGS!!!

piksi

Hall of Famer
I watched the tape. I was more relieved than happy. Almost choked at the end.
Offense was good. Defense was defense. Rebounding was "awsome." We shot well and did not turn over the ball. That won the game.
Yet another back to back tonight. If we win - it will be called winning streak. Something we did not have for the last century ( Yeah, I know - but it feels that way). I am yet to take the look at the standings this season. Please, let me know when it is safe to do so (Kings have to be in front of LAL and LAC to call it safe). Untill then I will stay very crytical.

That was a good win yesterday. A little too close for comfort at the end. But a much needed road win. 5 home games now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I say that we are going to win them all. :)

piksi said:
Please, let me know when it is safe to do so (Kings have to be in front of LAL and LAC to call it safe). Untill then I will stay very crytical.
So you won't complain about anything after we are ahead of those two teams.
Nice, I want everyone reading this to take note of what has just been communicated.

Heuge said:
So you won't complain about anything after we are ahead of those two teams.
Nice, I want everyone reading this to take note of what has just been communicated.
Nah. Notice he said "very cirtical", so that still leaves the door open for him to be "less than very critical" ;)

i think we can all agree that, while the kings still have a coupla kinks to work out (ie: REBOUNDING!!!), it is good to see them in their "kings-ish" form again. we should keep in mind that we won't be playing teams that average 108 points a night, or whatever it is that phoenix is averaging. if the kings offense continues to flow that smoothly, or something close to it, then we'll be just fine. i happen to think their defense was exceptional last night, aside from a lack of rebounding at key conjunctures in the game. the starters were magnificent. it is obvious the bench is gonna need to show up when adelman is so inclined to let them play, but i agree with his decision to shorten the rotation in last night's game. we really needed a road win, and the starters delivered. now it sup to the bench to provide some energy tonight against denver....cuz i guarantee the starters wont shoot 50 percent in a 24-hour turnaround. there's gonna be some fatigue, but denver is an opponent that you dont have to shoot 50 percent on to beat, so we'll just see what happens.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Oh we've still got problems. MAJOR problems that if we were off to a better start would be the talk of the town -- our rebounding and defense frankly suck.

But, and its a huge BUT, last night we looked like ourselves on offense. Which makes all the difference in the world. We can win a lot of games being nothing more than ourselves on offense and hopefully have time to improve the defense and rebounding over the course of the year. It can keep us in the hunt. But we still need to improve other areas or it won't matter come May/June -- as far as I know no crappy rebounding/defensive team has ever won an NBA title, and in all liklihood none ever will.