Kings first round of coaching candidate interviews comes out

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guys at the Kings Herald always grasp at straws when reports don't fit their narrative. In what world would Woj and Shams have to lie or mis-report about the finalist? I'm pretty sure they were the ones who gave us the initial list in the first place.
In a world where we don't punish journalists for making false reports, I'd wager.

I cannot wait to see which veteran types (Dedmon, Afflalo, Rondo, Matt Barnes) the Kings pee away their remaining salary cap on to go along with these powerhouse coaching choices. It would truly put the cherry on the top of another "quality" Kings product.

Lol following this thread is like going through the 5 stages of grief.

Denial: Mark Jackson is a finalist? That can’t be the final list. Woj and Sham are probably being fed this info.

Anger: Jackson, Brown and Clifford?!? What about then young assistants? Wtf are the kings doing. Time to cancel my season tickets and burn all kings related merchandise.

Bargaining: Well maybe Brown isn’t too bad. I mean he’s better than Jackson right? He has some connections and is good defensively. Yes his good years were because of lebron and Kobe, but his crap years he had crap players. Maybe he will be ok with our team.

(I feel we are about here right now lol)

Depression:

Acceptance:

Last edited:
Of the three, I prefer Clifford. I feel like people are getting way too down on him. Our team would probably be the most talented he has coached if he were to become our coach. His teams have always overperformed and he managed to turn them into great defensive teams.

I probably would of liked to see a younger coach like Ham, but Clifford is not some terrible coach with a poor track record.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Of the three, I prefer Clifford. I feel like people are getting way too down on him. Our team would probably be the most talented he has coached if he were to become our coach. His teams have always overperformed and he managed to turn them into great defensive teams.

I probably would of liked to see a younger coach like Ham, but Clifford is not some terrible coach with a poor track record.
The fact of the matter is that this would have been a pretty solid group of finalists were it not for Mark Jackson randomly being in the mix.

I didn’t realize there was such a sour narrative about Steve Clifford. I always thought he was a really good coach. He’s helped right the ship of a lot of really bad teams and always has his teams near the top defensively. I’d be really happy with him.

I didn’t realize there was such a sour narrative about Steve Clifford. I always thought he was a really good coach. He’s helped right the ship of a lot of really bad teams and always has his teams near the top defensively. I’d be really happy with him.
I don't think it's much as Clifford (who I also think is reasonably good), but we're just gun-shy with retreads after Walton and Gentry.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I don't think it's much as Clifford (who I also think is reasonably good), but we're just gun-shy with retreads after Walton and Gentry.
To be fair, Luke Walton was already terrible in his first coaching stint and Gentry’s reign was too chaotic to make any huge conclusions about his tenure in charge (I tend to think he wasn’t doing that great though). Brown and Clifford are stylistically about as far from Luke Walton or Gentry you can get without just full on hiring Thibs.

Last edited:
Mike Brown is a legitimately good candidate who comes from the Popovich coaching tree. Overview:

Mike Brown: 52-years-old
  • Former college basketball player at Mesa CC & San Diego
  • Head coaching and assistant coaching experience
  • NBA head coaching jobs:
    • Cavaliers 2005-2010
    • Lakers 2011-2012
    • Cavaliers 2013-2014
  • Overall Record: 347-215, 0.616
  • Best Seasons:
    • 2006 Cavaliers: 50 wins - Lost in Finals
    • 2008 Cavaliers: 66 wins - Lost in Conference Finals
    • 2009 Cavaliers: 61 wins - Lost in Conference Semi-Finals
    • 2011 Lakers: 41 wins (66 game season) - Lost in Conference Semi-Finals
Assistant coaching jobs:
  • 1997-1999 Wizards
  • 2000-2003 Spurs (under Pop)
  • 2003-2005 Pacers (under Carlisle)
  • 2016-present Warriors (under Kerr)
*Won the 2003 championship under Pop
*Won 2017 & 2018 championship under Kerr

What is the average stint of a successful coach in the NBA? I have to figure it’s about 4 or 5 years. I think us fans are hoping to hire a thirty something coach who is going to be with us for the next 20 years. That just doesn’t happen unless you have a generational talent on the roster.

If Mike Brown is the pick I believe we will have got the decision right and not just the best out of the finalists.

All these local sports journalists/bloggers are bugging out over the three finalists. They really thought a desperate GM, who operates at a middle manager level, is going to bet his future on a newbie? Hahahahahahahaha.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I wouldn't be upset if it's Brown or Clifford.

Nor would I be excited!

I feel like we all know in our heart of hearts that Vivek is gonna get woo'd by Jackson's greasy street preacher charisma!

Status
Not open for further replies.