Kings first round of coaching candidate interviews comes out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
This feels like the time Kings fans got irrationally high on Sachin Gupta only to get the rug pulled out from underneath them when the Kings went with Monte McNair.

Monte’s always been a BPA, go off of track record guy. His pick’s probably going to be former Coach of the Year winner and proven defense builder Mike Brown.

Vivek and his brain trust may have other ideas though.

This feels like the time Kings fans got irrationally high on Sachin Gupta only to get the rug pulled out from underneath them when the Kings went with Monte McNair.

Monte’s always been a BPA, go off of track record guy. His pick’s probably going to be former Coach of the Year winner and proven defense builder Mike Brown.

Vivek and his brain trust may have other ideas though.
My thing is there is no real reason to rush this. PO's aren't even over yet. If they jump the gun on this one then I question everything about this. In the end it doesn't really matter who is the coach as long as they aren't a total idiot that doesn't know how to use the Fox/Ox but still, what's the rush here? I mean these candidates aren't really looking at their watches and tapping their feet anyway, haha.

Last edited:
I could live with Clifford if he comes packaged with a strong offensive coordinator. Assuming, we get a solid 5 years out of him, I’m ok with his age if he helps set a new tough defensive culture and we groom his replacement over time. Brown would probably be fine also and could very well turn things around…. However, I just really want to move away from the Warriors coaching tree.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
My thing is there is no real reason to rush this. PO's aren't even over yet. If they jump the gun on this one then I question everything about this. In the end it doesn't really matter who is the coach as long as they aren't a total idiot that doesn't know how to use the Fox/Ox but still, what's the rush here? I mean these candidates aren't really looking at their watches and tapping their feet anyway, haha.
that’s the thing that I do like about Mike Brown. He’s generally been pretty good about staying out of his stars way on offense while building stout defenses (of course This was a decade ago before offenses got as spaced out as they are now).

I keep thinking something is going to change. . .
Like this is all a bad dream . . .
Like I keep re-living the same day over and over, but instead of Groundhog Day, it's April Fools.
I feel like Vivek is playing the long con. Have fans so alienated that no one cares when he wants to relocate in 20 years.

I'm in rather strong agreement with this. It remains to be seen if the sourcing for this information is anything more than agents boosting their clients, but if the Kings have already narrowed down their search to three candidates (and these three, in particular), then I question the integrity of the process. There should be no rush here at all, and there are certainly further candidates that are worth considering, and further candidates still that may be fired from their current posts once the playoffs conclude.

Here's my thinking. Jackson is included in the final three so that when its Clifford or Brown that gets chosen, the fan base will be pleased and thankful it wasn't Jackson. If the final three were Clifford, Brown and Ham and they chose Clifford or Brown, most fans would not be pleased. So Jackson is there only to help perception. He will not be the choice. At least I hope not.

Here's my thinking. Jackson is included in the final three so that when its Clifford or Brown that gets chosen, the fan base will be pleased and thankful it wasn't Jackson. If the final three were Clifford, Brown and Ham and they chose Clifford or Brown, most fans would not be pleased. So Jackson is there only to help perception. He will not be the choice. At least I hope not.
I was thinking similarly, one can only hope. Although I think it may just be a coping strategy, giving them far too much credit to be thinking tactically about their image. If they gave a f*#% about perception why not bring ONE of the three (Ham,Lee,Hardy) in for the final round of interviews. Placate us at least! Could not be more on brand for the Vivek regime. Three young assistants universally lauded around the league as up and coming and not a single one of them is good enough for the Sacramento Kings final cut. Vivek is a scared, short-sighted, lost little man and the fact that Mark Jackson made the final three has me less confident in McNair than I’ve ever been.

Status
Not open for further replies.