Kings Fire Director Of Scouting Mike Bratz

Given the history of turmoil within the Kings organization, I truly wonder what's lead to this firing and what this means moving forward. This was done pretty quietly, and there's been no follow up from the press on what caused this and how they're moving forward... which leads me to believe... "more of the same" ala Matina's moves, Vivek being Vivek, money drying up, sacrificial lamb for Jackson/Giles over Mitchell, or maybe he simply wasn't performing or getting along with the rest of the staff.

But if he wasn't performing/getting along, a healthy organization usually has a contingency plan as someone's phased out... and it's usually done a bit more gracefully than this.

Oh well, Kangz bein' Kangz... let's hope they fill his position with someone of even greater talent and experience (if they fill it at all).

If the media you consume hasn't talked about the size and/or depth of the Kings scouting department much over the past 10, 5, or 2 years.

You should probably take the forthcoming "Well, Bratz is out but _______ has this and the rest of the department will pick up the slack, and they'll be fine" with a lot of salt.

There's a lot of movement going on in the league right now in regards to personnel. The Kings just "lost" Shabbaz Kahn back to the TWolves. (He was an integral part of the video team and he will be missed.) I suspect there might be an offer on the table for Bratz that couldn't be talked about until/unless he was released by the Kings. But, as you say, we'll see. I wish him well.

I did notice one of Grant's sons working out with Harry Giles (Grant tweeted about it). Hard to believe those kids we used to see on the sidelines in the GLORY DAYS are now old enough to be looking for roles within the organization...
I suspect this is the reason, but it also could be Kings are forward looking to trades, FA signings, draft, etc. and and have decided they need a fresh perspective in the scouting department.

Given the history of turmoil within the Kings organization, I truly wonder what's lead to this firing and what this means moving forward. This was done pretty quietly, and there's been no follow up from the press on what caused this and how they're moving forward... which leads me to believe... "more of the same" ala Matina's moves, Vivek being Vivek, money drying up, sacrificial lamb for Jackson/Giles over Mitchell, or maybe he simply wasn't performing or getting along with the rest of the staff.

But if he wasn't performing/getting along, a healthy organization usually has a contingency plan as someone's phased out... and it's usually done a bit more gracefully than this.

Oh well, Kangz bein' Kangz... let's hope they fill his position with someone of even greater talent and experience (if they fill it at all).
So you know that, for a fact, Bratz was FIRED?

I just want to remind you and the other posters who assume he was fired that WE DON’T KNOW THAT. NOT YET, ANYWAY.

If he was, then so be it. But if he wasn’t (fired), that’s a hurtful thing to do to a person. Imagine deciding to leave your job, or coming to terms with your employer in the event of an organizational change that doesn’t work for you, and people start spreading rumors that you got fired. It can screw up a person’s employability, and it can hurt family members. It’s just not cool.

All I’m asking (or suggesting) is that we acknowledge that we don’t know if he was fired or not. Not yet.

Maybe the Kings will use this vacancy to hire someone other teams will want in the offseason; then the other teams will have to trade to get that person ala Scott Perry.

What difference does it make? The have enough help n he FO and the coaching staff to cover their scouting needs. Regardless, we play the Spurs tonight and I plan t be there. Go Kings.

This was put into action over our recent 3 game drubbing to other dregs.. I think the higher ups may have wanted accountability to the product but Vlade obviously can’t be touched due to his extension/Joerger

What difference does it make? The have enough help n he FO and the coaching staff to cover their scouting needs. Regardless, we play the Spurs tonight and I plan t be there. Go Kings.
I've heard both Mark Kreilder and Sam Amick and others say that's not the case several times over the past years and as recently as 12 months ago. They said this aspect of the Maloofs regime was bare bones and it seemed too thin under Vivek under both Pete and Vlade.

Conversely, the Kings talking head media doesn't engage this issue. They will talk about the strengths of the Kings executives, but most NBA scouting departments have layers. The people at the bottom are constantly grinding and putting materials up to prepare and advance the assessments of the top execs. Some NBA teams employ only their own scouts, whereas some teams share for certain evaluations. The notion that Vlade, Ken, the new hire from Philly plus a couple of guys would be a normal scouting staff and they've got this, reveals that, you don't know:

How this actually works.
How many more people the Kings employ and/or contract with for these services than you think
How most other teams do it
How the best do it and work their process.

Some of you are so busy shouting ... "why do we have to assume this is bad," "why are you giving me a sad," "can't we make this go away" that you reveal that you have either no idea how these teams actually work or know and type nonsense here.

But, do enjoy the Spurs game.

I've heard both Mark Kreilder and Sam Amick and others say that's not the case several times over the past years and as recently as 12 months ago. They said this aspect of the Maloofs regime was bare bones and it seemed too thin under Vivek under both Pete and Vlade.

Conversely, the Kings talking head media doesn't engage this issue. They will talk about the strengths of the Kings executives, but most NBA scouting departments have layers. The people at the bottom are constantly grinding and putting materials up to prepare and advance the assessments of the top execs. Some NBA teams employ only their own scouts, whereas some teams share for certain evaluations. The notion that Vlade, Ken, the new hire from Philly plus a couple of guys would be a normal scouting staff and they've got this, reveals that, you don't know:

How this actually works.
How many more people the Kings employ and/or contract with for these services than you think

Some of you are so busy shouting ... "why do we have to assume this is bad," "why are you giving me a sad," "can't we make this go away" that you reveal that you have either no idea how these teams actually work or know and type nonsense here.

I can't speak for anyone else. But for myself, I implied that I wasn't concerned about parting ways with Bratz in the middle of the season. I even said he wasn't important. For clarity, what I should have said is that his position is important, but losing or firing him mid-season is not a black eye to the franchise like it would be if we fired the coach or the GM. If he was incompetent, then the sooner we realize this and get rid of him, the better. If he wasn't given the tools to have an effective scouting dept, then he has no obligation to finish the season when his employer is setting him up for failure. But there are dozens of other reasons Bratz and the Kings may have parted ways, and I haven't seen anything half-way credible (yet) on why the split?

The timing of the move is what it is. I do not see the problem, rebuilding team or not. It amazes me that all of a sudden Mike Bratz, whom I'm pretty sure nobody could pick out of a lineup, is such an integral part of the Kings hierarchy that his departure is going to ruin the rebuild and the draft.
Now you are really missing the point here with usually purple shaded glasses.

As a rebuilding team with a top 5 pick in this year's draft your head of scouting is ABSOLUTELY integral part of the process. No one in their right mind can deny that.

I don't have the problem with Kings firing someone that they don't believe is doing a good job. Absolutely no problem with that! However, no one can convince me how all of a sudden Bratz is incompetent enough to get fired mid season of arguably the most important draft year for the franchise in recent history. You cannot tell me that those same reasons for letting him go were not there in July last year but they are not in January this year?

Personally, I found it strange that he survived once Divac came on board as he was PDA's guy. However, I think the timing sucks and no one can really defend that and keep a straight face. These sort of changes mid season are BAD for any team, especially the team that has rightly gained reputation as being sporadic and lacking direction. While I think there is a clear direction with the franchise now, the sporadic, erratic behaviour of the front office is not exactly disputed by this move. So as soon as two months ago Bratz was integral to our rebuilding and upcoming draft and now he is not such a big deal.

I am sorry but I am not buying it. If it smells like bullcrap, it most likely is, especially given the history with this ownership group. I genuinely hope that there is a clear upgrade already lined up, hence the firing but it doesn't appear to be the case. No one can argue that the timing of this move is OK. It is not! Anyone with a pinch objectivity can see that the timing of this is NOT good.

Thanks, jcassio.

I wasn't barking at you. And everything you are saying above seems right. And perhaps, that's what others are trying to say.

But, posts above seem like the authors have no intention of engaging in an honest exchange of ideas, no idea how an NBA team actually works in other cities, or Stockholm Syndrome. Or some combination thereof.

Good teams don't win the draft on video in April and May. They attend crummy games year round and pick up on little things.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Now you are really missing the point here with usually purple shaded glasses.

As a rebuilding team with a top 5 pick in this year's draft your head of scouting is ABSOLUTELY integral part of the process. No one in their right mind can deny that.

I don't have the problem with Kings firing someone that they don't believe is doing a good job. Absolutely no problem with that! However, no one can convince me how all of a sudden Bratz is incompetent enough to get fired mid season of arguably the most important draft year for the franchise in recent history. You cannot tell me that those same reasons for letting him go were not there in July last year but they are not in January this year?

Personally, I found it strange that he survived once Divac came on board as he was PDA's guy. However, I think the timing sucks and no one can really defend that and keep a straight face. These sort of changes mid season are BAD for any team, especially the team that has rightly gained reputation as being sporadic and lacking direction. While I think there is a clear direction with the franchise now, the sporadic, erratic behaviour of the front office is not exactly disputed by this move. So as soon as two months ago Bratz was integral to our rebuilding and upcoming draft and now he is not such a big deal.

I am sorry but I am not buying it. If it smells like bullpoopoo, it most likely is, especially given the history with this ownership group. I genuinely hope that there is a clear upgrade already lined up, hence the firing but it doesn't appear to be the case. No one can argue that the timing of this move is OK. It is not! Anyone with a pinch objectivity can see that the timing of this is NOT good.
I'm sorry but I'm just not into digging any deeper into this. If you guys want to be all upset, go for it. I just quite honestly don't care.

GO KINGS!

How this actually works.

If you aren’t worried all the time about everything you are not a proper Kings fan.

If Bratz is the guy responsible for IT with pick #60 then it gives you pause.

If Bratz is the guy responsible for virtually any other draft pick... who gives a crap. Because our drafts have been hugely unspectacular - no better or worse than an average Waynes World kid in a basement with a computer would have done. Thomas Robinson dropped and we grabbed him and it was bust. DeMarcus Cousins dropped and we grabbed him and he was an all-star Olympian. Ben McLemore was “the guy we really wanted” and he was a bust. Nik seems to have been an arm-twisting by Vivek for some crazy reason and Jimmer an arm-twisting by Maloof... so those aren’t on the scouting dept.

Our drafts have been “win some, lose most” and no better than the outcome of random chance imo. Bratz has not done anything distinguishable. And with one final draft pick standing between Vlade and his fate... I’m all for him shaking up the Consigliere position to suit him.

Isaiah was the single spectacular draft decision since I’ve been following Kings. If that was Bratz, here’s to you Mike enjoy your next job.

This firing/resignation feels like much ado about nothing, but it didn’t kill my twitter feed so thank God for that.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Are you actually amazed that the head of a team's scouting department is an "integral part" of the team's front office?
Cute. Even if I were going to continue to respond in this thread, I would NOT respond to someone who takes my comment out of context. Please see my post #45 above. Thanks.

He probably advocated for drafting Justin Jackson. :cool:

Or maybe he wanted OG Anunonby and was out-voted. Then he reminded those with more authority (Peja, Vlade) of their dubious decision along with OG stellar performance and this reminder was not well-received.

Mike Bratz was a sharp basketball mind. I can't unequivocally say the same about Vlade.

Last edited:
It's not an out of context quote. It's cleaning up the syntax of an argument that makes no sense.
You know what Larry, your wrong because your just not happy. You just complain too damn much. Thats the attitude of most of this board toward many of us who aren't happy with this directionless franchise. Many of the people here act like we are complaining about a team like the spurs or warriors or even the wolves or 6ers, who are at least moving in the right direction. THIS IS A F***** TEAM THAT HASNT MADE THE PLAYOFFS IN OVER A DECADE! This team is in a perpetual rebuild!!! We're not complaining because its fun. We're not making this sh** up! Unfortunately a lot of the stuff we don't like is true. People here just don't want to talk about it. If certain people don't want to talk about the shi* side of this team, fine. Don't. Just don't shame those of us who do.

I won't speak ill of a franchise that is doing it right. The 49ers were damn near 0-10 and I had zero complaints. ZERO. Most of our fans didn't complain either. BECAUSE THE TEAM WAS MOVING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. The kings on the other hand are still a shi* show. And this midseason firing of our head of scouting is just another example. I won't complain about this team when they stop s******* the bed on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Holy hell

You people have jumped the shark that jumped the other sharks.

Perhaps this ends up working out over the long haul, but this is a thing. The Kings fired the head of their scouting department
in the middle of the season. A thin and sometimes maligned scouting department.

The response here for many is “Why are some of you trying to make this a thing?” Good lord you people are nuts.

It’s fair to say. Yes, this is an interesting move but I think the Kings will make the correct and an inspired hire. Ok let’s see if that comes to fruition.

But, so what? And how do we know he didn’t quit? Bonkers. Flat bonkers.

This is why we can’t have nice things
"You people"??? How many people are you referring to, could not be more than 3-4???

I think it is significant move to get rid of the Kings lead scout for a LONG tenure and I think most Kings fans would concur.

This is another instance where it would be NICE to have a pit-bull relentless beat reporter to get to the bottom of what is going on here.

But we have Jason Jones and tonight is Monday Raw WWE and he has to prioritize his time and effort towards what he cares about most.

So LD enlighten me. How do the good teams run their scouting departments? Who is the head of scouting for the Warriors, Cavs, Spurs and Rockets?

So LD enlighten me. How do the good teams run their scouting departments? Who is the head of scouting for the Warriors, Cavs, Spurs and Rockets?
The scouting dept's of those teams you named are pretty damn good. Who cares about their names. Ours SUCK. Are you going to deny that?

How do those teams run their scouting dept?
Way better than ours. Are you going to dispute that?

Last edited:

gunks

Hall of Famer
On the one hand, I don't want to jump to conclusions over this based on past franchise missteps.

On the other hand, the main reason I'm so indifferent to this firing is because Vivek is still around and I subscribe to the "don't complain about a hangnail when you have Ebola" school of thought.

Anyways, hopefully we get an upgrade in the scouting department. We haven't exactly hit any picks out the park since Cuz (and we all know how that turned out).

"You people"??? How many people are you referring to, could not be more than 3-4???

I think it is significant move to get rid of the Kings lead scout for a LONG tenure and I think most Kings fans would concur.

This is another instance where it would be NICE to have a pit-bull relentless beat reporter to get to the bottom of what is going on here.

But we have Jason Jones and tonight is Monday Raw WWE and he has to prioritize his time and effort towards what he cares about most.
But you guys... you're the ones who don't make sense. You complain about a 10 year crap show, and then complain that a lifer who was along for the whole ride is shown the door.

What are the objective data that lead you all to believe in Mike Bratz so much?

"Kings lead scout for a long tenure" deserves reverence... but the team is a long tenure crap show???

But you guys... you're the ones who don't make sense. You complain about a 10 year poopoo show, and then complain that a lifer who was along for the whole ride is shown the door.

What are the objective data that lead you all to believe in Mike Bratz so much?

"Kings lead scout for a long tenure" deserves reverence... but the team is a long tenure poopoo show???
He wasn’t there for the whole ride. He was hired by PDA.

I think you are missing the point, intentionally or not. I don’t think many are complaining that Bratz got fired but they are rightly questioning the timing. Personally, I was surprised that he survived past PDA.

No one can say that sacking your head of scouting half way through the season in which you are likely to have the top 5 pick in arguably the most important draft in recent time for the franchise is a good thing. What has he shown those around him in January that they didn’t know in July last year? Why now, why not after the draft last year?

People are forgetting that Kings as it is have under-resourced scouting department and not to mention that our GM is not scouting no where near enough games in person as other GMs around the league.

You know what Larry, your wrong because your just not happy. You just complain too damn much. Thats the attitude of most of this board toward many of us who aren't happy with this directionless franchise. Many of the people here act like we are complaining about a team like the spurs or warriors or even the wolves or 6ers, who are at least moving in the right direction. THIS IS A F***** TEAM THAT HASNT MADE THE PLAYOFFS IN OVER A DECADE! This team is in a perpetual rebuild!!! We're not complaining because its fun. We're not making this sh** up! Unfortunately a lot of the stuff we don't like is true. People here just don't want to talk about it. If certain people don't want to talk about the shi* side of this team, fine. Don't. Just don't shame those of us who do.

I won't speak ill of a franchise that is doing it right. The 49ers were damn near 0-10 and I had zero complaints. ZERO. Most of our fans didn't complain either. BECAUSE THE TEAM WAS MOVING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. The kings on the other hand are still a shi* show. And this midseason firing of our head of scouting is just another example. I won't complain about this team when they stop s******* the bed on a regular basis.
I look on the good side of things with the Kings, and there is plenty of it to look at. I like how Vlade and Joerger do their jobs. Bratz had been with us for quite a while but I have no idea how he did his job nor the quality of his character. He is gone. If that leaves a void then they will fill it. How can anyone be displeased with our performance when it s about what we could expect. Our guys, the young and the vets, are all coming along at a decent pace, slow but as fast as a herd of cats can be herded.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'm very curious about the process of looking for a new scouting director. For years I've thought that it would be nice if the Kings org would systematically track and evaluate scouts on other teams, not just players. If they can tease out from the data those scouts who have actually made the best draft picks over several years' time, then they would have a nice group of potential candidates to consider for their new director.