Kings extend QO to Willie Cauley-Stein

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Might as well. If all works out the Kings could maybe squeek a 2nd or 2 out of another team. The Kings lost 3 of those in the last draft so getting about 5 to replace them is mandatory.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
too bad the Kings can't convince him to be the back up center. Depth would go a long way for the health of the entire roster.

Oh no there goes your leverage WCS. I think hes going to be unpleasantly surprised with the offers that he receives or lack there of. Nobody wants the ball in your hands for any amount of time over what it takes to catch a lob. I fully supported him but had to cut bait you cant fix stupid.

It's the smart move. I don't want him, because I think even if we got him for only the QO his mindset will not be good for the team as he didn't get all the money bags that he seeks. I'd see even more inconsistencies coming. But, from a team/business standpoint you gotta extend the QO and hope you get something from another team for him.

I wanted to cut him loose and move on. But I see no harm in trying to get something for him - as long as it doesn't affect our ability to ink our prize FA (or FAs).
But if Willie ends up back on the team, that will reflect poorly on Vlade.

“I just want to hoop freely. That’s kind of the biggest thing for me, just going somewhere, whether it’s here or anywhere else, just taking that next evolution to the game where you’re not just a rim runner. You’re a pick-and-pop guy sometimes. You can get rolling with what the defense gives you. I wanna be that dude.”

Maybe he can hoop freely off the bench?

My heart tells me that I didn’t want anything to do with him but my head tells me offering the qualifying offer was the smart thing to do.

Unfortunately if we resort to having to resign him for starting center we have not moved the needle much.

“I just want to hoop freely. That’s kind of the biggest thing for me, just going somewhere, whether it’s here or anywhere else, just taking that next evolution to the game where you’re not just a rim runner. You’re a pick-and-pop guy sometimes. You can get rolling with what the defense gives you. I wanna be that dude.”

Yeah and we want you to be the dude who plays like he cares about the team, but we don't all get what we want eh?

Yuck

Please trade this guy or something

I think there is a fair chance he signs the QO and gets moved mid-way through the season, if he wants to get away from the Kings his best move is to be unrestricted next year. Theoretically we could then trade straight up for Capella. It's actually a great plan B if Horford and Vuc aren't in our future.