[KINGS] Comments that don't warrant their own thread (Redux)

I mean everyone can have their opinions and all, but this is why sports media is broken in the social media age. Everyone has a take and everyone can get attention for their take. I don't have a problem with someone not liking our offseason; it was nuanced and not splashy. That might not be for everyone.

But it what planet were we embarrassed in the first round? We were the only losing team to go 7 games, which by definition makes us less of an embarrassment than 7 other playoff teams, including some that just got swept (Nets), completely rolled (Clippers and Wolves), and totally embarrassed as high seeds (Bucks, Grizz, and Cavs). Taking a legendary team to 7 games, winning a road elimination game, and looking like we actually belonged on the court is a long way from embarrassed. Sure, we could have (and maybe should have) won, but embarrassed?

Two and a half months until training camp. Fortunately, the Women's World Cup starts on Thursday, with the USWNT taking to the field at 6:00 Friday evening, Pacific time. I was very pleased with the team selection, but have they had enough time to gel? England looks deadly, and Spain also beat the US last fall, without even having all their best players.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I mean everyone can have their opinions and all, but this is why sports media is broken in the social media age. Everyone has a take and everyone can get attention for their take. I don't have a problem with someone not liking our offseason; it was nuanced and not splashy. That might not be for everyone.

But it what planet were we embarrassed in the first round? We were the only losing team to go 7 games, which by definition makes us less of an embarrassment than 7 other playoff teams, including some that just got swept (Nets), completely rolled (Clippers and Wolves), and totally embarrassed as high seeds (Bucks, Grizz, and Cavs). Taking a legendary team to 7 games, winning a road elimination game, and looking like we actually belonged on the court is a long way from embarrassed. Sure, we could have (and maybe should have) won, but embarrassed?
More than that - there were a number of people here who wanted to see Harrison Barnes replaced (by Jerami Grant, Kyle Kuzma, Cam Johnson etc) and the team sign Naz Reid, but I don't think a single Kings fan would agree that they should "blow it up".

So this Rockets fan thinks we should have done what? Trade Fox? Trade Domas? Both?

This seems like the influence of too much NBA2k

More than that - there were a number of people here who wanted to see Harrison Barnes replaced (by Jerami Grant, Kyle Kuzma, Cam Johnson etc) and the team sign Naz Reid, but I don't think a single Kings fan would agree that they should "blow it up".

So this Rockets fan thinks we should have done what? Trade Fox? Trade Domas? Both?

This seems like the influence of too much NBA2k
And it's funny because how many people defending to keep this team together were also ones willing to pawn off Fox for a dollar prior to last season? Times change and so does situation. NBA law is don't fall in love with your ancillary pieces. Just don't do it haha.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
they didn't like us last year either. hopefully we keep proving them wrong. I figure we don't start 0-4 and in a huge hole this year and hopefully are much better at home.
we shall see. It will be interesting what some of the more knowledgeable people like Bill Simmons says. He was all over the Kings line last year.

hmmm Vegas has the Kings as a 8/9 seed in the play-in. Many people, not on this board, did not like the Kings off-season

The thing is though that Monte didn't just load his cap with terrible contracts to keep his team together which nobody is taking into account much. Even Sasha signed a very fair deal. The deals weren't necessarily steal worthy but quite fair and if Barnes stays steady he's close to a steal compared to what similar players got. Monte apparently did try and make a big move when it came to Beal but Beal chose otherwise and I highly doubt Monte moved that pick to re-sign his own guys, it's just what ended up happening. Monte didn't just panic and then ruin his value cards in a quick reaction. No, the Kings didn't greatly improve themselves from the outside talent wise with the exception of Sasha. Other teams did. No doubt. And the teams that made those deadline moves with the exception of the Mavs ended up outlasting the Kings. Those are truths and for media people to question the Kings summer is well warranted by the initial results. Now the Kings rely on chemistry and internal improvement. No Keegan bump or Sasha taking the NBA by storm and the Kings are back to one De'Aaron Fox injury from not necessarily not winning games, but certainly not mattering. What happens with the team early on next season will likely determine what this team looks like at the end of the year roster wise. Monte likely still has options.

I didn’t think the Kings CRUSHED it this off-season, but a 9 seed?! I guess one winning season was just not enough to kick the national media theme of downplaying the kings.

I’d say we’re a 6 seed at the moment, but I’m expecting Monte to be very aggressive with trades to find the right pieces after the season gets going to see where we can improve. He didn’t see the right pieces out there this off-season, and I think he knows the major shifts to the roster are going to have to come via trade.

The same line of reasoning watching a poker game would say the person who drew three cards was winning while the person sitting pat was a big old loser.
that would be true if you were standing pat with Aces. Given we lost in the first round that claim is hard to make.

to take the next step this team has to improve defensively.

that would be true if you were standing pat with Aces. Given we lost in the first round that claim is hard to make.

to take the next step this team has to improve defensively.
Well you'd have a point if even a single game of the 2023-2024 season had been played. Read the article it's basically just who stacked up the biggest pile of cordwood. He didn't even consider how well these players may or may not work together. You know the kind of people who thought Denver blew it last year by not tuning up while Dallas kicked everyone's ass at the trade deadline.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Call me crazy but I do actually prefer our roster over the Cavs (Also this is the year where Mobley’s potential to be a world breaker on both sides of the floor actually needs to start translating/he needs to start making some threes to give his guards any semblance of floor spacing. There is actually a good chance that Keegan ends up leapfrogging Evan in the NBA hierarchy this season.). And I guess Max Struss is an all star now?