[KINGS] Comments that don't warrant their own thread (Redux)

I’ve been thinking about the new TV deal that the NBA is trying to land (aiming for $75 billion and the current one is $24 billion), how it impacts the cap, and how that works with the players and contracts we have. The new deal would start in 2025 which could mean the 2025-26 cap could rise to ~$171 mil (2022-23 is set at $123.6 mil as a comparison).

We would have 4 players that are under contract for the 2025-26 season (Fox, Huerter, Murray, and 2023 1st) which will make their contracts look that much more attractive as their % of the cap will significantly decrease. Mitchell will be a RFA that off-season which means his cap hold will still be based on the old TV deal but the offer sheets he receives will be inflated due to the new cap. The Kings would have to work quickly in the 2025 off-season to take advantage of Mitchell’s cap hold before they have to make a decision about matching his contract.

Considering Barnes always seems to find himself in an advantageous contract, I wouldn’t be surprised if we resign him to a 2 year deal which would allow him to become a free agent right as the 2025-26 salary cap is impacted by the new TV deal.

Holmes could opt out of his deal and become a free agent in 2024 but why not opt in and become a free agent right as the 2025-26 salary cap increases.

We only signed Monk to a 2 year deal so he’ll be a FA during the 2024 off-season unless he looks to sign a 1 year deal to push his FA to the 2025-26 season.

Now this leaves us with the interesting part…Sabonis.

Sabonis is a free agent in the 2024 off-season (a year before the new TV deal starts). Does Sabonis sign a 4 year max extension in 2023 with Sacramento ($104 mil)? Does he wait and sign a 4 year max contract during the 2024 off-season to get a bigger raise ($183 mil)? Does he take a 1+1 to push off his FA by a year and sign a 4 year max contract ($231 mil)?

Well by the time Sabonis’ current contract is up, he’ll be 28 years old and would have made $99 mil for his career. For someone of Sabonis’ caliber, that’s not a lot of money. Part of me thinks that we may be in a position to sign Sabonis to a max extension in 2023 ($104 mil over 4 years) or resign him to a max contract in 2024 ($183 mil over 4 years) and it would instantly be seen as significantly less than a max contract 1 year later ($231mil over 4 years).

Why is this important? We could essentially have our two star players locked up for the 2025 off-season on less than max deals (Fox at $37 mil & Sabonis at $25 mil or $44 mil) with Huerter locked in at $18 mil, Murray locked in at $11 mil, 2023 SAC 1st locked in at ~$5 mil, 2024/2025 SAC 1st locked in at ~$5 mil, and Mitchell with a cap hold of $12 mil. That leaves us with around $40-$59 mil in cap space with the option for $52-$71 mil (Mitchell) to add another significant piece to a core of…

PG - Fox / Mitchell
SG - Huerter
SF -
PF - Murray
C - Sabonis
Picks - 2023 SAC 1st / 2024 or 2025 SAC 1st

Perhaps McNair’s vision wasn’t to try and sign someone in the 2023 off-season (right before Sabonis cheap contract expires) and instead he acquired useful young players to change the perception of Sacramento over the years with a shot at a big FA in 2025.

Whether that works out remains to be seen but there seems to be a path that allows the Kings to try and be competitive and grow as a young team over these next few years while still having the flexibility down the line to add another star/star-like player. It’s an interesting thought exercise…

EDIT: Thinking about this some more, perhaps Sabonis signs a 1+1 extension in 2023 (rather than resigning for 1+1 in the 2024 off-season) with the plan to sign his big deal in the 2025 off-season (or 2026 if he gets hit with an injury). That type of extension would mean that Sabonis would make $23 mil during the 2024-25 season while Fox makes $35 mil, Huerter makes $17 mil, Holmes makes $13 mil, Murray makes $9 mil, Mitchell makes $6 mil, and 2023 SAC 1st makes ~$4 mil. That’s a payroll of $107 mil and the cap is estimated at $136 mil (~$29 mil in cap space). However, if we clear Holmes salary, that cap space jumps up to ~$42 mil with the following players under contract…

PG - Fox / Mitchell
SG - Huerter
SF -
PF - Murray
C - Sabonis
Picks - 2023 SAC 1st

Last edited:
Jason Anderson: The Sacramento Kings still haven’t finalized the signings of Quinn Cook and KZ Okpala. Both are still expected to be in Sacramento when training camp begins, according to a league source, but this is a fluid time for roster decisions and things could change.

14 hours ago – via Twitter JandersonSacBee
Free Agency, Training camp, KZ Okpala, Quinn Cook, Sacramento Kings

i just don't get it
Quinn I think would be a better Player than Delladova
Okpala could be useful as a defensive wing

Yes, I know these are 3rd string roster spots
But why not sign them to a partially guaranteed contract?

Does Jason really think Monte has another roster move up his sleeve?

what about soccer or combat sports?
not particularly interested in either. I’ll probably get more into the nfl season as it goes along since the Eagles will likely be pretty good. I haven’t been much into the Cubs the last couple years since they have been in tank mode. I’m just really excited about this upcoming Kings season since I think they might actually be competitive.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
we are about to hit the holy grail of sports. Football has started, baseball playoffs on horizon then NBA and World Cup starting soon .
Looks like World Cup and baseball will not overlap. But we will have two days (Sunday Oct. 23 and Monday Oct. 31) with at least one NFL game, at least one MLB playoff game, and also a Kings regular season game. This knowledge is worth practically nothing, but you get what you pay for.

Looks like World Cup and baseball will not overlap. But we will have two days (Sunday Oct. 23 and Monday Oct. 31) with at least one NFL game, at least one MLB playoff game, and also a Kings regular season game. This knowledge is worth practically nothing, but you get what you pay for.
3 ways to be disappointed Cowboys Yankees and Kings.

we are about to hit the holy grail of sports. Football has started, baseball playoffs on horizon then NBA and World Cup starting soon .
yes indeed. it's going to be a fantastic winter of sports. I'm looking forward to when the World Cup will be held in North America in the coming years.