[KINGS] Comments that don't warrant their own thread (Redux)

We all know where a player ends up has a major impact on their development. Body, mind and overall skills. Fox has developed nicely and has improved every year. Where do you think Fox would be if he switched places with Jaylen Brown?

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/nba-player-ratings/

I don’t know what to make of this list. WAR and overall Raptor.

Barnes and Holmes are tied for 34th. Fox is 116th
Buddy 160th Ty is 182 and has a defensive rating of -3.2 and Bagley is at 244th.

Top five are
Conley
Jokic
Leonard
Embiid
Doncic

some of this has matched the eye test for me. Holmes and Barnes have largely been our best players and Hali has been a good team defender while being poor on the ball. Still a bit of a surprise overall

Last edited:
Lots of talk about free throw shooting after the 1-pt loss to the Heat in which Kings went 5-11, including 3-8 from Fox (who also almost carried the Kings to victory in the 4th).

Fox is shooting 67% from the FT line. He's a career 71% shooter, so definitely an area he needs to improve.

Bagley is shooting 52% - horrible, and well below his not-great *career* number of 67%. Maybe this is some part of the reason why he's not getting a lot of 4th-quarter minutes?

Most of us want Whiteside to be a regular part of the rotation. He's shooting 51% from the line and is a 61% career shooter.

The good news that the rest of our main rotation guys are taking advantage of the freebies - Buddy (88%), HB (86%), Ty (83%), Holmes (81%), Cory (76%). But we need those first three to pick it up.

Last edited:
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/nba-player-ratings/

I don’t know what to make of this list. WAR and overall Raptor.

Barnes and Holmes are tied for 34th. Fox is 116th
Buddy 160th Ty is 182 and has a defensive rating of -3.2 and Bagley is at 244th.

Top five are
Conley
Jokic
Leonard
Embiid
Doncic

some of this has matched the eye test for me. Holmes and Barnes have largely been our best players and Hali has been a good team defender while being poor on the ball. Still a bit of a surprise overall
My goodness.

Well, course, we'd need to dig into this to fully understand it, but the 538 folks are pretty serious and their measures surely capture *something* important about the factors that creates individual/team success/failure. Hype aside, I think Holmes and HB have pretty clearly been the best Kings so far. Unfortunately, as I keep saying, they're also guys who get lost offensively too often because they're not primary/secondary ball handlers and Ty is the only ball handler we have with the skills and disposition to keep everyone involved. Holmes has been largely forgotten offensively the last few games. We're talking about the league-leader in FG%! - and it ain't like he's just dunking out there.

Bags - we need to keep an eye on the many flashes he's showing; clearly tons of room for improvement.

I don’t remember hardly anything about the Musselman era other than the power point. I didn’t have league pass at that time and the Kings were never on tv so I followed mostly from afar. He has an outstanding record as a coach outside of the NBA

143–51 (NCAA)
108–138 (NBA)
270–122 (CBA)
53–3 (USBL)
77–30 (D-League)

He also got high praise from other coaches.
According to former NBA coach Jeff Van Gundy, Musselman is "as competitive of a guy as I've ever coached against. He's a brilliant offensive mind."

According to University of Kentucky head coach John Calipari, "Eric is one of the best in our sport. Extremely driven and knowledgeable. I've watched and coached against him in the NBA and FIBA games. He has an uncanny feel for the game, and ability to read where the game is at. More importantly, is his ability to motivate and teach his players what it takes to improve and win. He is as good as it gets."

Why didn’t it work out?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I don’t remember hardly anything about the Musselman era other than the power point. I didn’t have league pass at that time and the Kings were never on tv so I followed mostly from afar. He has an outstanding record as a coach outside of the NBA

143–51 (NCAA)
108–138 (NBA)
270–122 (CBA)
53–3 (USBL)
77–30 (D-League)

According to former NBA coach Jeff Van Gundy, Musselman is "as competitive of a guy as I've ever coached against. He's a brilliant offensive mind."

According to University of Kentucky head coach John Calipari, "Eric is one of the best in our sport. Extremely driven and knowledgeable. I've watched and coached against him in the NBA and FIBA games. He has an uncanny feel for the game, and ability to read where the game is at. More importantly, is his ability to motivate and teach his players what it takes to improve and win. He is as good as it gets."

Why didn’t it work out?
He had a drinking problem

143–51 (NCAA)
108–138 (NBA)
270–122 (CBA)
53–3 (USBL)
77–30 (D-League)

Why didn’t it work out?
He is a good teacher of the game, by evidence of his PowerPoint. NBA players don't want to be taught in a traditional sense. They need to be managed.

That muscleman, theus, natt era was a lost couple seasons for me. I had moved just outside of the 70 mile range and didn’t get the games, I wasn’t paying to watch a 20 win terrible team, so I just missed like almost 2 full seasons. Probably didn’t miss anything TBH

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Celtics fans out here online thinking they can get Harrison from us for like a heavily protected second round pick and Javonte Green is so typical.
what more could you expect from a franchise that backed out of AD trade talks because they didnot want to give up Terry Rozier?

Why didn’t it work out?
He got a DUI before the season started so he was pretty much dead man walking and the Maloofs are idiots. He's probably behind Malone and maybe Joerger in terms of ability since we let Adelman go.

But also remember, the Maloofs are idiots. They fired Adelman because the team was in decline and they blamed him instead of realizing the cupboards were bare. While I imagine it probably was time to move on, they set up impossible expectations and Muss got one year and it was a long downhill slide from there.

Then they hired Theus, who has also enjoyed some success in the NCAA ranks, but this was his first big job and so a team that should have taken a year or two down to get some assets and churn the remnants of the roster, took on a coach that was hell bent on winning and ran his players ragged and entered the perpetual late lottery cycle we've been in for a decade and a half now.

Fun times.

Celtics fans out here online thinking they can get Harrison from us for like a heavily protected second round pick and Javonte Green is so typical.
what more could you expect from a franchise that backed out of AD trade talks because they didnot want to give up Terry Rozier?
I expect nothing less from fans of a team whose GM is Ainge. Entitled and think they can get over on everyone

If this team decided to sell everyone older than Fox I'd be bummed if we didn't keep Barnes. They're my "B" team even over Portland and I don't think Ainge is half as smart as he is chalked up to be, he just did what few have the stomach to do and cleaned house all at once and stockpiled assets in the process and then he traded the #1 overall to drop 2 spots in a draft with highly overrated 1 & 2s. But anyways. I grew up a Boston sports fan even before I lived there, and the city won zero championships while I was there in the 90s. I HATE young Boston sports fans. They have no clue.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer

143–51 (NCAA)
108–138 (NBA)
270–122 (CBA)
53–3 (USBL)
77–30 (D-League)

Why didn’t it work out?
Ever try to polish a turd? Take a look at those lineups the Maloofs left him with and you wouldbe hard-pressed to find five guys that had a long career in the NBA. He was literally brought in to talk to the press while the Maloofs were trying to sell the team. Throw in his personal problems you pretty much got a toxic brew that was lucky to win 20 games a season. He caught a lot of flack deserves much but probably not as much as we gave him.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Absolutely boggles my mind that at some point we surrounded Boogie (and Rudy) with three bigs who really couldn’t do anything aside from rebound (Reggie Evans, Ryan Hollins, JT the Brick) and a fourth big who was washed and short (Landry) and a coke machine (Derrick Williams) and a guard lineup of Darren Collison (good), Ben McLemore (bad at the time), and Nick Stauskas (lol) and were surprised when he couldn’t carry us to the promised land.

Absolutely boggles my mind that at some point we surrounded Boogie (and Rudy) with three bigs who really couldn’t do anything aside from rebound (Reggie Evans, Ryan Hollins, JT the Brick) and a fourth big who was washed and short (Landry) and a coke machine (Derrick Williams) and a guard lineup of Darren Collison (good), Ben McLemore (bad at the time), and Nick Stauskas (lol) and were surprised when he couldn’t carry us to the promised land.
Said it before and I‘ll say it again. Had the KINGS drafted Steph Curry instead of Tyreke, they still would have ended up with Boogie the next draft and those 2 along with any competent 3rd player they could have put next to them would have ruled the day.

And before someone that doesn’t recall me telling the story before tells me I’m speaking from hindsight, I was 100% on the Curry bandwagon back then and one of my best friends was on the Tyreke Evans train. We argued and argued leading up to and after the draft. He finally was able to get me to cope with drafting Tyreke weeks later and then of course Evans rookie season made me believe I was wrong. But by year 4 I was in his ear like you wouldn’t believe. Now he hates when I bring the topic up. But he had bragging rights for 1-2 years.

Circling back to Boogie, imagine what he’d have been able to do with Curry stretching defenses. OMG.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Said it before and I‘ll say it again. Had the KINGS drafted Steph Curry instead of Tyreke, they still would have ended up with Boogie the next draft and those 2 along with any competent 3rd player they could have put next to them would have ruled the day.

And before someone that doesn’t recall me telling the story before, I was 100% on the Curry bandwagon back then and one of my best friends was on the Tyreke Evans train. We argued and argued leading up to and after the draft. He finally was able to get me to cope with drafting Tyreke weeks later and then of course Evans rookie season made me believe I was wrong. But by year 4 I was in his ear like you wouldn’t believe. Now he hates when I bring the topic up. But he had bragging rights for 1-2 years.

Circling back to Boogie, imagine what he’d have been able to do with Curry stretching defenses. OMG.
Hell, just imagine if we had bothered developing Tyreke at all instead of randomly shunting him to the SF position and spending dozens of draft picks on really really bad players. Also considering how injury prone Steph was to start his career, he’d have probably been off our roster before he even had a chance to develop into the greatest shooter in the history of the sport.

Hell, just imagine if we had bothered developing Tyreke at all instead of randomly shunting him to the SF position and spending dozens of draft picks on really really bad players. Also considering how injury prone Steph was to start his career, he’d have probably been off our roster before he even had a chance to develop into the greatest shooter in the history of the sport.
Well, right, even with Tyreke if they hadn’t blown every subsequent pick after 2010 — things would have been much different. Might have had Dame Lillard and Kawhi with Cuz. Reke could have been the 2 guard.

Still, circa 2013 I have been in agony that Curry-Cuz didn’t happen.

the nine games left on our schedule will probably determine our path for this year and the foreseeable future.

Miami
Chicago
Milwaukee
Brooklyn
New York
Detroit
Charlotte
Lakers
Portland

If we go 6-3 in this stretch, we probably hold out hope for a playoff birth as we would be back to .500. 3-6 would put us at 15-21 and to me a clear indication it's time break up the band.

It's impossible to predict wins with this team. In theory we should beat Chicago, New York, Detroit and Charlotte. We have already seen how that goes sometimes this year. Sneaking 2 wins against Miami, Brooklyn, Milwaukee, LAL and Portland seems like a pretty tall order. Or with the way this season has gone we beat Miami, Brooklyn, the Lakers and Portland only to lose to Detroit and Charlotte.

the nine games left on our schedule will probably determine our path for this year and the foreseeable future.

Miami
Chicago
Milwaukee
Brooklyn
New York
Detroit
Charlotte
Lakers
Portland

If we go 6-3 in this stretch, we probably hold out hope for a playoff birth as we would be back to .500. 3-6 would put us at 15-21 and to me a clear indication it's time break up the band.

It's impossible to predict wins with this team. In theory we should beat Chicago, New York, Detroit and Charlotte. We have already seen how that goes sometimes this year. Sneaking 2 wins against Miami, Brooklyn, Milwaukee, LAL and Portland seems like a pretty tall order. Or with the way this season has gone we beat Miami, Brooklyn, the Lakers and Portland only to lose to Detroit and Charlotte.
4-5 will be our record over these games.

It's a trick Jerry West and other management-speak types in the league employ, to move the goal posts/dangle the carrot ("wait until 20 games in" is a notorious one). In some cases (West, for example) it's because they know the plan and can execute it for championships (or seeming team legitimacy to grease wheels on arena development, another of his specialties he modeled in Memphis for all of the more recent arena developments hitting the league like a plague). Often the plan is a tank season and/or the moves that can be made once contracts are more moveable at Jan. 15.

But other times, it's just a deferral when there is no plan and no one at the helm capable of executing a winning plan anyway. This works very well with some bright lights and fancy doo dads in the TV Deal/Offense Lube Era we've been stuck in pretty much since Silver took over. Kings are just a prefab also-ran for the real teams to play against as part of the standard schedule, and when Vivek and his people say things, it is hush-down-now, hollow corporate speak with no sincerity or substance coming later.

It's a trick Jerry West and other management-speak types in the league employ, to move the goal posts/dangle the carrot ("wait until 20 games in" is a notorious one)
I’m not sure moving the goal posts applies to Monte, at least not yet. We really don’t know what the plan is because we don’t get a peep out of him.

The tradeline either tells us how he fees about the team or in a worst case scenario that he doesn’t have the power to make the decisions. Doesn’t seem like he would have taken the job if he was under this impression however.