[Game] Kings @ Cavaliers, 12/11/2021 5pm Pacific 8pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus Christ. If you're going to blow it up and rebuild, there can't be any caveats.

"Trade all the older players... except for this one guy!" is just going to result in more of the same 12-9th seed purgatory madness. Trade everyone with any value. See what your younger/value-less players can do. Figure out a way to acquire high lotto picks be it though a tank or trading with a desperate team. Period.

If we blow it up. No one is off limits. Not Fox, not Holmes, not Barnes, not even Haliburton or Mitchell.

It'll be painful but if you want to do it right, that's what you have to do.
It depends on what came back, but I'd say both of them are pretty untouchable in a full reset. Shown real promise, and on their rookie/2nd year of their rookie contracts. If you're trying to reset, these are the kind of dudes you stack up and hope they spike into being a star.

Everyone else though, yeah. Cya later

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
It depends on what came back, but I'd say both of them are pretty untouchable in a full reset. Shown real promise, and on their rookie/2nd year of their rookie contracts. If you're trying to reset, these are the kind of dudes you stack up and hope they spike into being a star.

Yeah, I agree there for the most part. the thing is, though, Mitchell is old by rookie standards and as an elite defensive guard could fetch a few assets in a trade. Haliburton is probably our second best trade chip behind Fox and I can see a team like the Celtics, who desperately need a secondary facilitator like Haliburton, absolutely throwing a wheelbarrow of assets at us to get him. I probably wouldn't do it but if you want to clean the slate, completely clearing the table might be a prudent decision.

I mean, the process Sixers traded a young Jrue Holiday coming off of an All-Star season to the Pels to jumpstart their teardown and he was only 22

Kings fans: Blow it up and rebuild!

the same exact Kings fans: Blow it up by trading for even older players on even longer and bigger contracts!
Yeah, if they are going to rebuild, the cap has to come along with it this time. No more short cuts of signing veterans that get in the way of the young talent you have to build up. Toppin is what he is but I think if given a chance he can produce numbers and he has time left on his deal so he could build some value.

From a Cavs fan:

#816 » by Blacksheep25 » 5 minutes ago

Cavs were up 30 at half and went to sleep, but man Davion made me actually worry about the outcome for a minute there. He was in Garlands face and head the entire second half and made him play a horrible half. Really tenacious defender when he turns it on. I’d have him doing that more if I were Gentry.

If the rest of the Kings played with half his intensity they’d really be something. Everyone else is soft. It’s like he’s on the wrong team

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I don't want to blow it up. I want to rebuild now and be a playoff contender. Forget about going five years in the desert and hoping and praying you're going to finally find an oasis.
Instead of an oasis at the end of a true rebuild we might stumble into a tiny patch of half dead grass and a putrid puddle that is immediately getting beat as a 10th seed.

But hey, PLAYOFFS WE ROCK!

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yeah, if they are going to rebuild, the cap has to come along with it this time. No more short cuts of signing veterans that get in the way of the young talent you have to build up. Toppin is what he is but I think if given a chance he can produce numbers and he has time left on his deal so he could build some value.
Yeah, Obi's an interesting case. He's producing huge numbers per minute but not getting as much playing time as you'd think he would. The issue there is that if we're going to try playing the "rehab a busted asset so we can trade him for more assets" game, we've chosen a bad year to try it with a big man. The 2022 draft is shaping up to be a really deep big man draft so teams might not be as willing to drop assets for a 24 year old no-defense playing big, even if Alvin is able to boost his numbers to a respectable level (and that is one thing that Alvin is really good at doing).

Yeah, Obi's an interesting case. He's producing huge numbers per minute but not getting as much playing time as you'd think he would. The issue there is that if we're going to try playing the "rehab a busted asset so we can trade him for more assets" game, we've chosen a bad year to try it with a big man. The 2022 draft is shaping up to be a really deep big man draft so teams might not be as willing to drop assets for a 24 year old no-defense playing big, even if Alvin is able to boost his numbers to a respectable level (and that is one thing that Alvin is really good at doing).
If you aren't trying to field a team to win you can have two bigs. Heck, look at the Cavs, it might even work, haha. In a rebuild it's all about putting as many lines in the water possible to find a player that can get his own offense that you can build around. People want to bag on Fox but it's literally been Cuz and Fox with a few years of hoping Jason Thompson types can get it done with a brief moment of Reke in between. People might like the effort of Davion or Haliburton but maybe they forgot what it was like having not a single 25 ppg threat? Talk about hopeless.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Instead of an oasis at the end of a true rebuild we might stumble into a tiny patch of half dead grass and a putrid puddle that is immediately getting beat as a 10th seed.

But hey, PLAYOFFS WE ROCK!
We don't need to give away assets in order to find a nugget. Denver and the Bucks hit the gold mine with a 2nd rounder and mid-level #1 respectively. This all or nothing absolutist blow it up for picks approach is guaranteed to take a long time and may never accomplish anything. You need to have more subtlety in the approach to get better sooner and take advantage of every deal you can get, whether it is for picks or players. Also, it's a given - you don't trade quality players for just ping pong balls in the upcoming lottery; you have to know exactly what draft slot you would be getting. If that is the case, you have to wait until the post season to do any major deals and no way do I want to endure this absolute trash for the rest of the season so I can wait with baited breath for the upcoming draft.

Exactly.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Yeah, I agree there for the most part. the thing is, though, Mitchell is old by rookie standards and as an elite defensive guard could fetch a few assets in a trade. Haliburton is probably our second best trade chip behind Fox and I can see a team like the Celtics, who desperately need a secondary facilitator like Haliburton, absolutely throwing a wheelbarrow of assets at us to get him. I probably wouldn't do it but if you want to clean the slate, completely clearing the table might be a prudent decision.

I mean, the process Sixers traded a young Jrue Holiday coming off of an All-Star season to the Pels to jumpstart their teardown and he was only 22
I had the same thought a couple weeks ago though I don't want picks back from Boston, I want Jaylen Brown. They're in desperate need of a facilitator and there's been rumblings out of Boston this season that the Tatum/Brown pairing is going nowhere. I'd offer them Haliburton, Barnes, and this year's first round pick unprotected. They probably say no but I think that's an offer they might call back about before the trade deadline if they keep losing.

So I guess this is a great game to forget we were playing.

I just watched the highlights and it was all Fox moving out of the way of players giving them layups and dunks. Was he that defensively apathetic all game. I watch stuff like that and don’t get it, does pride not ever set in for him?

I just watched the highlights and it was all Fox moving out of the way of players giving them layups and dunks. Was he that defensively apathetic all game. I watch stuff like that and don’t get it, does pride not ever set in for him?
What you saw was indicative of the game. Garland looked like a future star with Fox on him. When Davion matched up with Garland in the 2H, Garland looked pedestrian. The Kings lost the game in the 1h. Fox is undeniably the best player, right now, amongst Fox, Garland, and Mitchell. But in terms of effort and toughness, he came in last by a mile.

Gotta get rid of the Vlade generation to change the Kings culture.

These guys can't get it done then why the hell are we so keen to hold on to them.

Were not talking about just coming up short in a playoff series were talking about sniffing .500.
This is the measure - .500 - my recommendations are: #1 Kings should not be your first hobby; #2 see #1......

I decided after the earlier losing streak, will not be going back to a game 'in-person' unless Kings hit .500+.....Not investing much time (and no money) in it. Spectating Sports are my waste of time to begin with - but they're MY waste of time. I used to enjoy watching all NBA, but have grown tired of it - can enjoy all NFL still. This Kings team may not have the talent to start with - they are the usual low-level mediocrity team - gave some good effort for 10 games or so, but fizzled out. Now can't even flip a coin about a win - closer to a dice.

I had the same thought a couple weeks ago though I don't want picks back from Boston, I want Jaylen Brown. They're in desperate need of a facilitator and there's been rumblings out of Boston this season that the Tatum/Brown pairing is going nowhere. I'd offer them Haliburton, Barnes, and this year's first round pick unprotected. They probably say no but I think that's an offer they might call back about before the trade deadline if they keep losing.
We aren’t a team that should be offering up unprotected 1st round picks while we struggle to make the playin. Vlade making such a move is one reason we are where we are. Need I remind you Tatum was picked with our unprotected first round pick.

Boston would jump on that offer if we made it.

What you saw was indicative of the game. Garland looked like a future star with Fox on him. When Davion matched up with Garland in the 2H, Garland looked pedestrian. The Kings lost the game in the 1h. Fox is undeniably the best player, right now, amongst Fox, Garland, and Mitchell. But in terms of effort and toughness, he came in last by a mile.

Gotta get rid of the Vlade generation to change the Kings culture.
Funny enough because he was "changing the culture" and went for "nice guys" who took advantage of him and played him like a fool.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
We aren’t a team that should be offering up unprotected 1st round picks while we struggle to make the playin. Vlade making such a move is one reason we are where we are. Need I remind you Tatum was picked with our unprotected first round pick.

Boston would jump on that offer if we made it.
If we don't take a shot at some point we'll ultimately have no choice but to blow it up and rebuild again. The core of this team is still young and we actually have decent depth with guys like Mitchell, Davis, and Metu all being productive off the bench. Trading picks for an All Star is a strategy that has worked before. Vlade traded picks for cap space. That's an entirely different strategy.

Fox has always been a bad defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.