[Game] Kings at Celtics, Friday March 19th, 4:30 PM PDT

Uh... I don't think anyone is having this right now. 2 pages on a game thread and complete apathy and dejection all around. A purgatory, treadmill team for the tenth year in a row.

Though I myself have come to terms that the tank was dead when Bagley went down.
Then again, on the other hand if they do turn this around I don't care how blind Vivek or anyone else can be, it's pretty clear at that point who is to blame for the mediocrity. It doesn't matter how much talent you have if someone is allowed to misuse it to the extent it has been.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Uh... I don't think anyone is having this right now. 2 pages on a game thread and complete apathy and dejection all around. A purgatory, treadmill team for the tenth year in a row.

Though I myself have come to terms that the tank was dead when Bagley went down.
Whatever. If you don't enjoy it, don't watch. Problem solved. I've been posting in this forum for 20 years. I view thinks with a positive light. If that gets you so dejected you have to summarily dismiss my comments with the "I don't think anyone is having this right now" stuff, more power to you. I'm pretty sure you don't speak for the majority of fans, but even if you did, it wouldn't change my outlook.

I refuse steadfastly to allow my love of the team to be influenced by someone who prefers to see the glass half-empty. I think the only time you're truly happy is when you have something to criticize/complain about.

Bagley looked good at times when allowed to do the same, he just rarely was in that position. It's the one calling the shots for the year that has them repeatedly not do this even when it works. Is he Holmes? No but he can do some of the same things and even more on the other end. Also, Buddy is far from a bad defender and he's shockingly good at using his bulk against SF's. Remember, he's a SF now and he's not doing too bad.
dude by any statistical or visual measure Buddy and Bags are among the two worst defenders in the league. You can hide Buddy when alone but not with Bags. Our ball movement was very good tonight and Marvin tends to be a ball stopper. I’m guessing we win at least one more on this trip.

dude by any statistical or visual measure Buddy and Bags are among the two worst defenders in the league. You can hide Buddy when alone but not with Bags. Our ball movement was very good tonight and Marvin tends to be a ball stopper. I’m guessing we win at least one more on this trip.
Sometimes you have to let your eyes judge and also weigh a poor help defensive scheme against a modern NBA individual switch defensive scheme. Here's an article from prior to the season on that:

https://thepaintedlines.com/true-or-false-the-buddy-hield-narratives/

"According to NBA.com, Hield guarded ten players for more than 10 total minutes each throughout the season, In that sample size, those players scored 13.3 points, converted an average of 40.26% of their field goal attempts, and only attempted 2.6 free throws each. So, Hield was able to perturb those scorers without getting into foul trouble."

"There was even evidence that the Kings’ defensive system, not Hield, himself, have painted him as a poor defender. There were times when Hield was brutalized by random matchups early in games, but that player continued scoring with ease even after Walton subbed Hield out. In one particular contest in the early stages of the season, Gary Harris lit Hield up without problem in the first quarter. But, even when Hield went out, poor communication and strategy permitted Harris to keep the fire going."

The fact is, even with terrible team defense since the day Walton became coach Buddy's individual numbers haven't really been that bad. And the fact that their team defense for much of this season hasn't been just bad, but historically bad, doesn't paint the whole picture.

In the first half when they took out Cojo and went with Fox, Halibirton, James, Barnes and Holmes, that was a very effective defensive switching unit. Fast and quick. Had been asking for that a long time ago and why Bjelica, Cojo don’t really fit anymore.....well, besides Cojo sucking
Now, the trick is getting DaQuan back in the rotation. Jeffries has unreal tools to fit the small ball scheme.

In the first half when they took out Cojo and went with Fox, Halibirton, James, Barnes and Holmes, that was a very effective defensive switching unit. Fast and quick. Had been asking for that a long time ago and why Bjelica, Cojo don’t really fit anymore.....well, besides Cojo sucking
yeah that team can play defense.

hmm are we better on defense without Bagley or Boston just kinda ehhhh
It's all up to Walton. For anyone paying attention throughout the whole year you can clearly see the potential while small when the players are allowed to extend the defense and put pressure on their man. The issues that remain is they will still tend to play Fox, Haliburton, and Cojo together which isn't enough size to switch effectively. Cojo is the weak link. He's sticks to screens like glue and can't recover in any way that matters.

Sometimes you have to let your eyes judge and also weigh a poor help defensive scheme against a modern NBA individual switch defensive scheme. Here's an article from prior to the season on that:

https://thepaintedlines.com/true-or-false-the-buddy-hield-narratives/

"According to NBA.com, Hield guarded ten players for more than 10 total minutes each throughout the season, In that sample size, those players scored 13.3 points, converted an average of 40.26% of their field goal attempts, and only attempted 2.6 free throws each. So, Hield was able to perturb those scorers without getting into foul trouble."

"There was even evidence that the Kings’ defensive system, not Hield, himself, have painted him as a poor defender. There were times when Hield was brutalized by random matchups early in games, but that player continued scoring with ease even after Walton subbed Hield out. In one particular contest in the early stages of the season, Gary Harris lit Hield up without problem in the first quarter. But, even when Hield went out, poor communication and strategy permitted Harris to keep the fire going."

The fact is, even with terrible team defense since the day Walton became coach Buddy's individual numbers haven't really been that bad. And the fact that their team defense for much of this season hasn't been just bad, but historically bad, doesn't paint the whole picture.
okay you tell yourself that.

It’s a good win. I’m not sure to what end but they played good basketball.

okay you tell yourself that.

It’s a good win. I’m not sure to what end but they played good basketball.
Agreed and if they play this way, I think it could be sustainable. It just sucks they're relying on who they are to call the shots and they have to do it from a hole they dug that maybe didn't need to be. I will not trust this head coach again. Fool me once.

Whatever. If you don't enjoy it, don't watch. Problem solved. I've been posting in this forum for 20 years. I view thinks with a positive light. If that gets you so dejected you have to summarily dismiss my comments with the "I don't think anyone is having this right now" stuff, more power to you. I'm pretty sure you don't speak for the majority of fans, but even if you did, it wouldn't change my outlook.

I refuse steadfastly to allow my love of the team to be influenced by someone who prefers to see the glass half-empty. I think the only time you're truly happy is when you have something to criticize/complain about.
Oh, I'm not dejected really because I saw this coming.

Have the outlook you want but you tend to make these posts when you want to raise some spirits, bring the community together, rah rah sis boom bah. All well and good but I'm just saying that I don't think there are very many people who are sharing the sentiment this time. I've never seen the fanbase this all in on tanking, never seen them this dejected over this iteration of the treadmill team.

Agreed and if they play this way, I think it could be sustainable. It just sucks they're relying on who they are to call the shots and they have to do it from a hole they dug that maybe didn't need to be. I will not trust this head coach again. Fool me once.
the problem isn’t this head coach. If they play this way they might get to a 10th seed. OKC and Houston are well run organizations and look at their directions. How many first round picks besides our own do we have? Zero. The problem with this team is the owner and will continue to be the owner until Vivek sells.

the problem isn’t this head coach. If they play this way they might get to a 10th seed. OKC and Houston are well run organizations and look at their directions. How many first round picks besides our own do we have? Zero. The problem with this team is the owner and will continue to be the owner until Vivek sells.
THE problem, well, it's debatable but one problem is potentially imminently solvable but it's up to the other one to figure that out. It shouldn't take injuries and ones to major franchise assets to force the hand of the one making the calls to make the obvious ones as a last resort.

Thanks for reminding me that Buddy is a SF now (with the small lineup). So that makes Barnes is a 4. Barnes looked good tonight in his role. Maybe the King’s have a good lineup formula to win!
Or maybe the Celtics just aren’t that good.
Its been good to see Whiteside playing again.
I kinda hate to see management break up this team. It’s sure been fun to get two in a row.
Thinking about Bagley’s role......someone in this forum said a few days ago that on offense lately he just stands in the corner and disappears. That seems like such a waste for an athlete like Marvin. It seemed like his first couple of years they kinda ran the offense through him at the high post. And he would be touching the ball a couple of times in the half court offense. I think he’s still going to be a very valuable player for a lot of years (if he can stay healthy).
Winning sure beats losing!

Anyone else sick of CoNo barking at everyone after anything goes wrong? Wish Bjeli would have smacked him in the back of the head right there.
The best part is it's typically when he gets blown by. The guy for being such a "pro's pro" has the worst body language on the team

The Kings held the Celtics under 100 points for a change.
Game ball to Mista Holmes.
Fox can take over games now.
Has a few days off helped the defense.? We shall see.