Kings All-Access Documentary "The Run" Episode 1

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

The Kings get into the video production game with their new all-access series. This episode mostly covered the draft and Keegan.

Random Observations:
1- Vivek was not in the draft room, which is a world away from the time he browbeat the Weasel into picking Stauskas in front of a camera crew from Grantland.
2- Keegan's call with Monte and Mike Brown was about as unemotional as we've come to expect from him.
3- Keegan is laughing about his mom crying when he got drafted not because it's a fun story but because he finds it amusing that other humans have emotions.
4- The Kings could have at least checked Keegan into a hotel room with a bigger bed.
5- Jordi Fernandez is going to be a good head coach for some team out there someday.

The Kings get into the video production game with their new all-access series. This episode mostly covered the draft and Keegan.

Random Observations:
1- Vivek was not in the draft room, which is a world away from the time he browbeat the Weasel into picking Stauskas in front of a camera crew from Grantland.
2- Keegan's call with Monte and Mike Brown was about as unemotional as we've come to expect from him.
3- Keegan is laughing about his mom crying when he got drafted not because it's a fun story but because he finds it amusing that other humans have emotions.
4- The Kings could have at least checked Keegan into a hotel room with a bigger bed.
5- Jordi Fernandez is going to be a good head coach for some team out there someday.
For point #1, I for one am sick of that video that always circulates of Vivek overriding everybody for Stauskus. And then the cringeworthy phone call and Vivek having everyone say that ridiculous shout out.

Talk about a room full of yes men and a new owner with an overinflated ego. What a terrible start to his ownership run.

I sure hope he gets to have the last laugh because the start was truly awful and provided years of lulz to the rest of the NBA Fandom.

Random Observations:
I had noticed Vivek conspicuously absent the entirety of draft week enough that I had asked local media on twitter to confirm I wasn't imagining it. I wonder if he truly stepped back to let Monte and Co have their moment or if he was on a different continent dealing with non basketball stuff. Still I really was excited that he wasn't stealing the spotlight on what is decidedly not him moment.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
they were talking about this on the kings beat pod. Also, Ham mentions that someone stole his idea for a show about the kings several years back that might bring back memories for some. It’s at the 1:25:45 mark

So...you're saying somebody stole James Ham's intellectual property? Golly. I wonder why he didn't sue them?

He thinks incredibly highly of himself, sources confirm.
a sports reporter, especially one of his caliber, should never invoke "me" so frequently as he does. It's no wonder he's completely fallen out of the Kings' good graces, and honestly if he ever wants back he'll STFU and start acting like a professional instead of complaining about how hard they make his job.

Random Observations:
Keegan reminds me so much of the "Big Fundamental" Tim Duncan. In his workman like personality, to their work ethic and how they carry themselves on the court. All Business. All Basketball. High Basketball IQs. :)

Side question: Can someone explain to me why Brenden lets James and Sean bully him? I'll admit there's only so much of those guys I can watch, but it sure feels like they are just picking on him constantly with petty little barbs about how green he is.

Side question: Can someone explain to me why Brenden lets James and Sean bully him? I'll admit there's only so much of those guys I can watch, but it sure feels like they are just picking on him constantly with petty little barbs about how green he is.
I think he's scared to a degree. Scared to say "the wrong thing" or be "that guy" that speaks back against the "vets" getting on him all the time.

So...you're saying somebody stole James Ham's intellectual property? Golly. I wonder why he didn't sue them?
Curious, has James Ham ever addressed this recently, especially since his foray on his with the Kings Beat? I’m not a subscriber have not attended his happy hour events for example, wonder if anyone has ever asked him about all this? Sounds like he would deny any wrong doing..

Curious, has James Ham ever addressed this recently, especially since his foray on his with the Kings Beat? I’m not a subscriber have not attended his happy hour events for example, wonder if anyone has ever asked him about all this? Sounds like he would deny any wrong doing..
he literally vents about it in the linked podcast. which is silly because the great idea he described is literally an extremely popular HBO show about football, as a Kings web series. It appears that the only legitimate grievance he has is they used the same name, "Inside the Kingdom" which isn't exactly that original either. Also assuredly the Kings org has marks on Kingdom within NBA purposes.

he literally vents about it in the linked podcast. which is silly because the great idea he described is literally an extremely popular HBO show about football, as a Kings web series. It appears that the only legitimate grievance he has is they used the same name, "Inside the Kingdom" which isn't exactly that original either. Also assuredly the Kings org has marks on Kingdom within NBA purposes.
Yes I agree, I meant more about addressing the grievances some board members here have had about content or ideas he stole also? I could be mixing things up here too!

I have to imagine when people take advantage of other people's work they create all sorts of justifications in their own mind about what happened.
100%

I understand the posters have probably moved on from all this anyway. I just find it ironic that he is bitter about being hard done by the Kings when he himself stole the ideas from others in the first place. Very strange, all the best to him I guess

Yes I agree, I meant more about addressing the grievances some board members here have had about content or ideas he stole also? I could be mixing things up here too!
I have to imagine when people take advantage of other people's work they create all sorts of justifications in their own mind about what happened.
Gotcha, and like funky I don't think he views it through the same lens as everyone else nor does he care. But it sure makes for some fun schadenfreude.

You will have to speak to Mike, I forget his entire handle here and I'm not about to put his socials on here.

But he is the original founder of Crown Downtown and pretty much a legend around here for what he did to keep the Kings in Sac from a grassroots perspective.

I had him and a few other members at my house for a viewing of the unfortunately never released 30 for 30 on the Kings and (you guys know who you are) and Ham basically took more credit for the movement than he should have, and used that to propel his future where everyone else was about the cause.

Basically, Ham is a merc without the full mercenary ability, just rode some coattails and tried to establish himself off of it.

And if he is viewing this, then Ham....You're a douche. And I'm being nice.

Keegan reminds me so much of the "Big Fundamental" Tim Duncan. In his workman like personality, to their work ethic and how they carry themselves on the court. All Business. All Basketball. High Basketball IQs. :)
I’ve made the same comparison, regarding his on court demeanor and personality. Hopefully for all KINGS fans sake he becomes even just half the player Mr. Duncan was.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Episode 2 now out. WARNING: Jordi Fernandez swears up a storm exactly like you’d assume someone who spent the last six years with Mike Malone would so be careful who you watch this with, I guess.

Random observations
1- If the Kings aren’t a total disaster this year, Jordi’s probably getting poached for a head gig somewhere.
2- Keegan‘s contract signing is as boring as you’d assume it’d be.
3- “i’m calling a timeout so you can get some rest.” Neemy: “we don’t need that!”
4- Nate Sestina giving a fake victory interview into a fad wad of 50 dollar bills after winning team bowling night is my new spirit animal.
5- Wes Wilcox and Monte McNair are literally always together in this episode.
6- the Hawks traded Red Velvet while he was on vacation lol
7- Mezi correctly predicted the Keegan buzzer beater in Vegas

Last edited:
Episode 2 now out. WARNING: Jordi Fernandez swears up a storm exactly like you’d assume someone who spent the last six years with Mike Malone would so be careful who you watch this with, I guess.

Random observations
1- If the Kings aren’t a total disaster this year, Jordi’s probably getting poached for a head gig somewhere.
2- Keegan‘s contract signing is as boring as you’d assume it’d be.
3- “i’m calling a timeout so you can get some rest.” Neemy: “we don’t need that!”
4- Nate Sestina giving a fake victory interview into a fad wad of 50 dollar bills after winning team bowling night is my new spirit animal.
5- Wes Wilcox and Monte McNair are literally always together in this episode.
6- the Hawks traded Red Velvet while he was on vacation lol
7- Mezi correctly predicted the Keegan buzzer beater in Vegas
Fun cameo - A few times around the 2:00 minute mark, you can see Davion Mitchell training with the Summer League team. I think most of the time when you hear the cliche about coaches having to kick players out of the gym because they are there too much it's probably BS. You know it's the truth with Davion.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Episode three is now out. In which we learn that Keegan’s favorite juice is an Arnold Palmer (which isn’t a juice but whatever) and that he had Heelies as a kid.