Kings’ Tyreke Evans Named Western Conference Rookie Of The Month For October/november

Revrag

Father, Husband, KingsFan
Staff member
Administrator
Contributor
SACRAMENTO, CA ---- Sacramento Kings guard Tyreke Evans was named Western Conference Rookie of the Month for games played from the start of the season (Oct. 27) through November. Evans is averaging 18.8 points (44.6 FG%, 32.3 3pt%, 79.0 FT%), 5.0 rebounds, 4.7 assists, 1.33 steals, and 36.1 minutes per game in starting all 15 games he has played in this season. He leads the Kings in assists and is second in scoring. Evans becomes only the third Kings player to be named Rookie of the Month, joining Brian Grant (January 1995) and Lionel Simmons (December 1990 and February 1991).

Evans matched Lionel Simmons for the Sacramento-era rookie record of scoring 20 or more points in seven consecutive games, beginning the streak with a 32-point effort in the Kings’ first road win of the season at Utah (November 7). In that same game against the Jazz, he also set a Sacramento-era single-game rookie mark with 19 free throws attempted. Evans and Cleveland’s LeBron James are the only two players averaging 18.5 points, 5.0 rebounds, and 4.5 assists per game this season. The 6-6 Evans, drafted fourth overall in the 2009 NBA Draft, leads all rookies in free throws made (64) and attempted (81) and minutes per game. Among rookies, he ranks second in scoring and steals per game, third in assists per game, and fourth in rebounds per game. He also leads all rookies with nine 20-point scoring performances.

Revrag

Father, Husband, KingsFan
Staff member
Administrator
Contributor
MILWAUKEE’S BRANDON JENNINGSAND SACRAMENTO’S TYREKE EVANS
NAMED T-MOBILEROOKIES OF THE MONTH
NEW YORK, December 1, 2009 – The Milwaukee Bucks’ Brandon Jennings and the Sacramento Kings’ Tyreke Evans today were named the Eastern and Western Conference T-Mobile Rookies of the Month, respectively, for games played from the start of the season (Oct. 27) through November.

Jennings leads all rookies in scoring (21.8 ppg), assists (5.7 apg) and three-point field goal percentage (.500). On Nov. 14, Jennings scored 55 points against the Golden State Warriors, the most points by a rookie since Earl Monroe netted 56 on Feb. 13, 1968. His 55-point effort broke the Bucks rookie scoring record, previously held by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Accomplished in his seventh game, Jennings became the fastest NBA player to score 50 points, as well as the youngest (20 years and 52 days).

Evans ranks second among rookies in scoring (18.8 ppg) and leads first-year players in minutes (36.1 mpg). He also ranks second in steals (1.33 spg), fourth in assists (4.7 apg) and fifth in rebounds (5.0 rpg) among rookies. Evans recorded 20 or more points in seven consecutive games, tying the Sacramento-era rookie record set by Lionel Simmons (1990-91). Also, he leads rookies with nine 20-point games.

Here is a recap of the month for bothJennings and Evans:

Brandon Jennings, Milwaukee Bucks
Oct. 30 @ Philadelphia: Registered 17 points, nine rebounds and nine assists in his NBA debut, a 99-86 loss to the 76ers.
Nov. 11 vs. Denver: Tallied 32 points, nine assists and four assists in a 108-102 win over the Nuggets.
Nov. 14 vs. Golden State: Scored the most points by a rookie since Earl Monroe (56, 1968) with a 55-point effort in a 129-125 win against Golden State.
Nov. 20 vs. Charlotte: Posted 29 points in addition to a seven assists and four rebounds in a 95-88 win over the Bobcats.
Tyreke Evans, Sacramento Kings
Nov. 7 @ Utah: Scored a career-high 32 points and had three rebounds, seven assists, and one steal in a 104-99 win over the Jazz.
Nov. 20 @ Dallas: Recorded 29 points, seven rebounds and set a career high with 10 assists in a 104-102 loss to the Mavericks.
Nov. 23 @ Memphis:Posted 28 points, four rebounds, four assists and one steal in a 116-105 loss to the Grizzlies.
Nov. 25 vs. New York: Tallied 19 points and had a career-high 11 rebounds and seven assists in a 111-97 victory over the Knicks.

Other nominees for the Eastern and Western Conference T-Mobile Rookies of the Month were Denver’s Ty Lawson, Golden State’s Stephen Curry, Minnesota’s Jonny Flynn, New Jersey’s Terrence Williams, New Orleans’ Marcus Thornton, and Oklahoma City’s James Harden.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Jennings and Tyreke. At least until Griffin gets on the court, I think we might be seeing those two names crop up a lot in the RotM standings.

Keep up the good work, Evans, and more importantly, keep up the work. Players in this league adjust to you. No coasting allowed.

A

AriesMar27

Evans and Cleveland’s LeBron James are the only two players averaging 18.5 points, 5.0 rebounds, and 4.5 assists per game this season. The 6-6 Evans, drafted fourth overall in the 2009 NBA Draft, leads all rookies in free throws made (64) and attempted (81) and minutes per game. Among rookies, he ranks second in scoring and steals per game, third in assists per game, and fourth in rebounds per game. He also leads all rookies with nine 20-point scoring performances.
i know that you didnt write this but this is hella flawed logic...

lebron is averaging 29 points, 6.7 rebounds and 8 assists per game.

evans is averaging 18.8 points, 5 rebounds and 4.7 assists per game.

those are not even close to comparing.

beno at 14/2/3.9 are closer to evans numbers than lebrons.

jennings is averaging 22 points, 4 rebounds and 5.7 assists per game.

its not even funny to compare lebrons MVP level numbers to evans rookie numbers. they are nice but they arent even the best rookie stats this season. the best in the western conference with griffin out indefinitely and he who shall remain nameless in spain but to compare his run of the mill numbers to lebrons is just crazy.

its not even funny to compare lebrons MVP level numbers to evans rookie numbers. they are nice but they arent even the best rookie stats this season. the best in the western conference with griffin out indefinitely and he who shall remain nameless in spain but to compare his run of the mill numbers to lebrons is just crazy.

"Why don't you spit in the punch and pop all the baloons?"

K

Kingsguy881

Rubio, err excuse me, he who shall continue this g*yness, would have won both Eastern and Western Conference players of the month. Rubio can beat up Chuck Norris.

A

AriesMar27

you guys got balloons?:cool:

c'mon dude, evans has played really well but to compare his numbers to lebrons is just wrong. if they had compared their rookie season numbers i could understand. but by their logic they could have said that evans and kobe are the only 2 players in california averaging 18 points, 5 rebounds and 4 assists... but that doesnt mean that evans comes anywhere near kobe's level of play... same goes for lebron. if jennings averaged 1 more rebound and kobe 1 more assist they wouldve been in the same class as evans and lebron by the writers flawed logic.

It isnt flawed logic at all. Its not a comparison between Lebron James and Tyreke Evans. Its a statement that says the only two players in the league to reach a certain statistic average are Lebron James and Tyreke Evans. If anything its your reading comprehension skills that are flawed.

you guys got balloons?:cool:

c'mon dude, evans has played really well but to compare his numbers to lebrons is just wrong. if they had compared their rookie season numbers i could understand. but by their logic they could have said that evans and kobe are the only 2 players in california averaging 18 points, 5 rebounds and 4 assists... but that doesnt mean that evans comes anywhere near kobe's level of play... same goes for lebron. if jennings averaged 1 more rebound and kobe 1 more assist they wouldve been in the same class as evans and lebron by the writers flawed logic.
They arent comparing him to LeBron... They are stating his flexability to rebound score and get assists.

How on Earth is that "hella flawed logic"? It is a single statement that happens to be true. If you made more out of that single statement, that is your choice.

K

Kingsguy881

How on Earth is that "hella flawed logic"? It is a single statement that happens to be true. If you made more out of that single statement, that is your choice.
Because dude, you can't put Tyreke's name in the same sentence as LBJ, its wrong. Now if it were the guy he WANTED the Kings to draft, you could compare him to Larry Bird and this guy would find a way to make the comparison stick and the logic work, in his mind at least.

Thats what happens when you wake-and-bake and spend the whole day loaded as opposed to just using it responsibly as a recreational type of thing.

Because dude, you can't put Tyreke's name in the same sentence as LBJ, its wrong. Now if it were the guy he WANTED the Kings to draft, you could compare him to Larry Bird and this guy would find a way to make the comparison stick and the logic work, in his mind at least.

Thats what happens when you wake-and-bake and spend the whole day loaded as opposed to just using it responsibly as a recreational type of thing.
The comparison wasn't from a stoned out Kings homer, it was from nba.com. http://www.nba.com/kings/news/evans_named_western_conference_2009_12_01.html

Sure, they'll talk players up, they want us to be excited about them. But I think you're kind of going off the deep end with the ad hominem stuff.

K

Kingsguy881

The comparison wasn't from a stoned out Kings homer, it was from nba.com. http://www.nba.com/kings/news/evans_named_western_conference_2009_12_01.html

Sure, they'll talk players up, they want us to be excited about them. But I think you're kind of going off the deep end with the ad hominem stuff.
You've got me all wrong homie. I'm being (at least I thought I was) tongue in cheek. But I've been warned not to bait anybody so I guess I should probably morph into a model citizen.

NBA.com is known for writing ridiculous fluff pieces, and of course they would use the stats to make a rookie comparable to bigger stars. Notice they use Tyreke as the BOTTOM of the comparison. While it highlights his versatility, which is evident, it is also a heavily biased way of comprehending statistics.

For instance, did you guys know that Westbrook, Deron, CP3 and Lebron are the only players averaging 16.9 points and 6.8 assists?

I mean Westbrook is a good player, and really coming into his own. He was one of my "going to hit the next level" players this year. But he is in no way of the ilk of the latter guys.

So what if the writer defined the parameters to get him in the same sentence as Lebron? If you widen them, there are still only a small number of players in that ballpark and they're all flattering comparisons for anybody, nevermind a 20 year old guy in his first month.

You've got me all wrong homie. I'm being (at least I thought I was) tongue in cheek. But I've been warned not to bait anybody so I guess I should probably morph into a model citizen.
Actually, no, I didn't get you wrong, I got someone else wrong.

I didn't notice who I was replying to. You may consider me trolled 100% successfully. Victory is yours! :D