KING IN ARABIC

Basically all the Warriors including the front office has said they want Klay back. I’m really surprised, you’d think they would want to get their finances under control and try a different mix of players given how the last two years has gone. They were something like 27-12 (this could be wrong and I don’t feel like looking it up) in their last 39 games so maybe they think they can get off to a better start next year.

If he doesn’t go to the Magic this might put Monk in a position of power. I hate to say it but I’m starting to lean more heavily into Malik leaving. It would be a sad day but I do think we would still have plenty of team building options if he walks.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Ya, between our insistence on the bench role, the limit to what we can pay him, and teams throwing bags every offseason … I don’t have high hopes to retain Malik. A possible major blow to an already shaky team… going to be hard to replace his attitude and style.

Gary Harris going 0-6 in the Orlando play-off game didn’t help. The problem the Kings have is he and Fox play the same role. It’s the same problem with Haliburton. So if you really want to keep Malik you have to trade Fox.
Now that you mention it, Gary Harris averaged 1.6 assists and Jalen Suggs 2.7. That is abysmal. Even Cole Anthony averaged only 2.9.

Gary Harris going 0-6 in the Orlando play-off game didn’t help. The problem the Kings have is he and Fox play the same role. It’s the same problem with Haliburton. So if you really want to keep Malik you have to trade Fox.
Just not true. Monk has shown tremendous ability to play off ball and play off of Domas and Fox. While having the ability to be an elite on ball initiator.

I swear man, you don't watch Kings games anymore. What are you seeing where you think Fox and Monk are like Oil and water, similar to Fox and Hali?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
He's an excellent 6th man type and it would be a loss if he left without any compensation to the Kings. That said, I don't view him as a key to the foundation of the Kings moving forward. Sixth men are typically the cherry on top of the cake, not the cake itself.

I find myself chagrined that the Monk news is first and foremost the #1 agenda item for the Kings because even to retain him - a good thing - is in fact "running it back" in that it's retaining the status quo. As we've seen this season, status quo isn't nearly good enough.

Just not true. Monk has shown tremendous ability to play off ball and play off of Domas and Fox. While having the ability to be an elite on ball initiator.

I swear man, you don't watch Kings games anymore. What are you seeing where you think Fox and Monk are like Oil and water, similar to Fox and Hali?
nice try but I actually go to the game and the believe it or not the game has two sides and the problem side is on the defensive end.

He's an excellent 6th man type and it would be a loss if he left without any compensation to the Kings. That said, I don't view him as a key to the foundation of the Kings moving forward. Sixth men are typically the cherry on top of the cake, not the cake itself.
Tell that to Domantas Sabonis, who said, “We better keep him. I think there’s no excuse. I’ll talk to Monte (McNair) and Vivek (Ranadivé). We’ve got to keep him. He’s a big piece for us moving forward.”

Monk is a good player, he's not Fox. If it were even close to a choice between them, the choice is one of the easiest anyone could ever make. Maybe Malik proves he's a Fox level player on another team but that team doesn't appear to be the Kings. On the Kings, Monk has done very well as the 6th man he is.

Off the ball on the catch and shoot is where Monk has made his hay, Monk isn't close to an elite on ball initiator outside of pick and roll and even there he's in the 62nd percentile. Fox is 77th. Monk is a by the month player. One month he's star level, the next he's not close. He's a very streaky type of player which is probably why he's so effective as a bench spark. In iso Monk was the in the 16th percentile although the Kings even with Fox aren't much in the way of going to iso ball in relation to usage unless totally necessary. That said, if Monk were a forward he'd be the answer but he's a combo G on a team chalk full of combo guards.

Here are the top option players in the NBA in isolation, without fail, you can see plenty of players still playing on while the Kings sit at home. The Kings have to find a way to start getting more capable in iso or going to it more. Fox is the leader in possessions on the Kings and he's all the way down at 27 in the league. Not good enough and the results proved it as the system failed at the most inopportune time yet again.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/isolation?dir=D&sort=POSS

dude12

Hall of Famer
We need to stretch our players arms so we can get longer. You know the coaches or THEE coach could try and put a little effort into this if they had a good relationship with them. We aren’t trying hard enough. :(

or is it

We lost to NO, everyone is overpaid.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Well maybe if we were better at defense we could have beat the Pels while only scoring 98 points on absolutely abysmal shooting splits!!!
Between the ran it back meme and the "no changes to the gameplan" with NO, it's weird to me that this last game was like the first or second time we held them under 130 points and in my mind if we had 22/23 offense with 23/24's defense this team wins 60+ games and is a top 3 seed again.

No I am not advocating "running it back" but I do think that we should retain Monk and return Fox, Keegan, Domas and Keon. Which you know, 4 starters and your 6th man is probably that, by any other standard than veiled hatred of Huerter and Barnes, who I am sure if there were trade upgrades available or free agency had worked out differently, would not be here. But we'll see. I know Brown has advocated for those guys but missing the playoffs is missing the playoffs so changes will happen.

Without knowing if Monk is staying or going, Monte may need to hold onto Huerter until the Monk situation is resolved. It would be tough trying to replace both Monk and Huerter's offense and shooting this summer, look at what happened at the end of this season.

This sucks because the draft is where a lot of the trade action occurs and not knowing if Monk is back will put Monte at a disadvantage.

Without knowing if Monk is staying or going, Monte may need to hold onto Huerter until the Monk situation is resolved. It would be tough trying to replace both Monk and Huerter's offense and shooting this summer, look at what happened at the end of this season.

This sucks because the draft is where a lot of the trade action occurs and not knowing if Monk is back will put Monte at a disadvantage.
If you can find an HB upgrade you could move him to the bench to replace some of that scoring. One could argue he is the most consistent shooter on the team. Keegan, Huerter and Monk all go on long stretches of bad shooting. HB’s shooting dips are much more short lived. IMO, KVon fits well as a starter on certain teams. I’ll be keeping an eye out for Washington or Brooklyn in a trade.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I wish the draft were after the opening of the signing period but I think our draft day need is clear and that is Barnes's spot. Deal with that and then worry about Huerter after Monk. Clearly Keon has earned the starting spot so both can't stay. There will be offers on the table. If we re-sign Monk we'd actually stand to benefit from trading Huerter for a 2025 pick which would give us the ability to trade future firsts uninhibited again.

Look, we never know 100%. But he's loved here, he loves it here. His buddy is here. He has a great rapport with the coach and staff.

Mayyyybeeee he gets 90-100MM somewhere else (Big maybe) but that team is going to suck (except possibly the Magic).

I don't make anywhere near what these guys make but I have given up more lucrative opportunities for family time, location, etc. We all tend to look at these decisions as a binary who is offering the biggest check and role. It's life-changing money, no matter what, you might as well be happy along the way.

The two-year deal may have actually saved us from ourselves. If we paid him 25MM+ as a mid-level team...ouch.

I’m seeing some talk that the Kings should promise Monk a starting job to convince him to stay. Is that a good idea?

Taking a look at lineup stats on nba.com, it appears that the lineups with the 4 other usual starters (Sabonis, Barnes, Murray, Fox) performed worse this season with Monk than with Huerter or Ellis,

Monk+starters (151 minutes): Off rating 115.3, def rating 117.0, net rating -1.8

Huerter (669 minutes): off 119.9, def 113.8, net 6.1

Ellis (261 min): off 107.0, def 105.8, net 1.2

Interestingly, last season the numbers with Monk (122 offensive rating, 112.6 defensive, 10.0 net) were a lot better. (Huerter was 118.3, 116.1, 2.2, respectively)

Are these numbers meaningful?

Hard to trade someone coming off a down year that ended in injury