Keys to Defeating Sparks

As we are 36 hours from Game 1, I would like to get input on the keys to winning Round 1 against Los Angeles. I have made it crystal clear in the past that this is my worst fear come true for the Monarchs. Having to face a veteran team that plays the game very chippy and borderline dirty. The arrogance and the very chippy play is why the Sparks have no fans in Sacramento, Houston or Seattle. Here are my keys:

DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO WIN GAME 1
The Monarchs do not want to come back to Arco down 0-1. I think that the first round format is as unfair a format to the team with the best record. And on any given night, Seattle, Sacramento, Los Angeles and Houston can beat each other in any gym. Claw, scratch, kick, punch, do whatever it takes to win down at Staples. Life will be so much easier.

FEED BECKY AND YO THROUGHOUT THE GAME
Do not settle for quick shooting, and establish the patent inside presence. Make them double team you. I do not believe that the Sparks perimeter defense can match up with Powell, Lawson and even Ticha shooting from the outside. Dixon is old, Teasley and Mbeka is injured and the starting point guard (I forget her name) can not guard everybody. But the Monarchs have to play the game inside out to open up the perimeter. Which brings me to point three.

TICHA MUST BE OFFENSIVELY MINDED
She has to penetrate the middle which gives her multiple options. When she holds the ball on the outside, she takes herself out of the equation and now it is 4 against 5.

YO AND BECKY MUST STAY OUT OF FOUL TROUBLE
Yo always seems to be in foul trouble against LA down at Staples. She has to push Leslie out of the key and make her shoot jump shots. Easier said than done, but it has to happen

REBOUND, REBOUND, REBOUND
Nothing left to say.

I know a lot of these are the obvious. Help me out.

Purple Reign said:
As we are 36 hours from Game 1, I would like to get input on the keys to winning Round 1 against Los Angeles. I have made it crystal clear in the past that this is my worst fear come true for the Monarchs. Having to face a veteran team that plays the game very chippy and borderline dirty. The arrogance and the very chippy play is why the Sparks have no fans in Sacramento, Houston or Seattle. Here are my keys:

The Monarchs do not want to come back to Arco down 0-1. I think that the first round format is as unfair a format to the team with the best record. And on any given night, Seattle, Sacramento, Los Angeles and Houston can beat each other in any gym. Claw, scratch, kick, punch, do whatever it takes to win down at Staples. Life will be so much easier.
Ditto that...an identical game to the one they last played at Staples is toooooooootally fine with me. They've got to stay in contact with the Sparks and not let them run away and then they have spend the rest of the game playing catch-up.

Purple Reign said:
Do not settle for quick shooting, and establish the patent inside presence. Make them double team you. I do not believe that the Sparks perimeter defense can match up with Powell, Lawson and even Ticha shooting from the outside. Dixon is old, Teasley and Mbeka is injured and the starting point guard (I forget her name) can not guard everybody. But the Monarchs have to play the game inside out to open up the perimeter. Which brings me to point three.

She has to penetrate the middle which gives her multiple options. When she holds the ball on the outside, she takes herself out of the equation and now it is 4 against 5.
Patience in the offense in general is a good thing, so I'll start with that. But they need to balance that patience with someone wanting to take a shot when a good percentage shot materializes and not pass off with 5 seconds on the clock. I think Brunson is going to be key in this series since they will be sans Walker (I'm presuming). Yo is going to get the most attention without Walker in the lineup, and she should draw at least a double team every time she touches low. If she does draw that attention then Brunson needs to play the role Walker played so well and finish the shots she gets because of that. That's where Brunson is sometimes lacking, she doesn't always shoot well and doesn't always finish well around the basket - either off a pass or off a rebound. If she converts half the shots she gets off of o-rebounds or when she otherwise is in the paint, that will kill the Sparks. The caveat to that is whether Ticha is also being offensive, heck, if ANYBODY else on the floor is being offense.

I think they also need Nicole to step up and assert herself more than every once in a while. If she wants to blow up for 20 something points, I'm down with that, but she needs to stay a shooter and pass only when somebody's more open than she is. They need the perimeter game working to complement the paint work.

Yep, if TP insists on standing on the outside, then she needs to start making some 3pt shots, her perimeter shooting has been pretty iffy as of late.

Purple Reign said:
Yo always seems to be in foul trouble against LA down at Staples. She has to push Leslie out of the key and make her shoot jump shots. Easier said than done, but it has to happen
Agreed here too, but as you say, easier said than done. The bench depth is such that Whiz can go to Buescher and OSR and take Yo or Brunson off the floor, but without Walker, you I think are hoping to hold serve while they are off the floor. Buescher and OSR can certainly help push, but I'm not sure they are going to be the most effective defenders against Leslie without themselves racking up fouls.

Purple Reign said:
Nothing left to say.
WORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd like to think the trapping the M's were showcasing in their final regular season game was designed to get that in order. If LA is still without Teasley, I think Hodges, Curry and whoever else they use to run point are going to get a steady diet of defensive pressure. It would be REALLLY nice if Chelsea can get through the first minute of the game without 3 fouls, but one can dream? ;) Haynie did a helluva job at this in the last ARCO meeting between the two clubs. If they keep the Sparks from running their offense, that would bode very well. The Sparks announcer who came on Monarchs Talk last week seemed to insinuate that without Bibby there, the Sparks are freelancing more. That could play to the M's defensive strength if they get the pressure working. Play your defense....

And for the love of Naismith, could they please decide to shoot higher than 70% from the FT line for the remainder of the game they have to play? They can't continue to give points back the opposing team like that and hope their defense can save their bacon. This is the postseason now, you have to earn everything you get.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think one of the main keys will be to avoid letting the Sparks run rough-shod over the Monarchs. I get the very strong feeling the Sparks want to send a message, and considering the way they (the Sparks) played the last time, I hope the Monarchs can keep it about the game and not get sidetracked by officials not necessarily calling the game as objectively as they could...

I think the Sparks are out for blood and I just don't want it to be Monarchs blood.

This reminds me of the Kings/Utah series way back in 1999. After getting whacked about by the Jazz Malone-style in the first game (or maybe the 2nd, don't remember), CWebb started out the next game by immediately knocking little John Stockton the floor with great force. He was sending a message.

I really would hate to see it get to that point, but maybe it might have to.

RoyalDiva said:
CWebb started out the next game by immediately knocking little John Stockton the floor with great force. He was sending a message.

I really would hate to see it get to that point, but maybe it might have to.
I loved that move the C-Webb did. And the Kings even won that game. Maybe that's what the Monarch's need to do as well.

Claw, scratch, kick, punch, do whatever it takes to win down at Staples. Life will be so much easier.

Nothing left to say.

I know a lot of these are the obvious. Help me out.

Here are some other points...

Free-Throw Shooting-
Gotta make them pay when they foul us. And foul us they will.

Nicole Powell-

She has to come out aggresive and take that initial pressure off of Kara and the Post game. Besides she needs to get in a play-off grove.

Bench Contributions-

Maiga, Haynie, Kara, Need to give good minutes. Erin and Miss Olympia needs to give the great energy minutes. And I believe that DeMya needs to give minutes of some sort. 5 minutes or so.

Energy

Got to have lots of energy against this team. We have to get out early, and run on them. Turn them into a jump shooting team.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Still JD said:
Focus, intensity, poise.
I really like this, JD.

Focus on your defensive assignment. Focus on your teammates and get them the ball when they are open. Focus on the rim, if you have an open shot.

Do all of these things with intensity and energy.

Relax, have fun, and exhibit the poise of a champion.

What everyone else said......And, please don't let the refs take you out of the game........:rolleyes: I cannot stand it when they whine to the refs after a call is made, and the game is continuing around them.....That just drives me crazy. They're not going to change their minds......So please know they refs are going to be crappy, play the game you are capable of playing, and stay focused. You can do it!!!!!!:D

Black Sneaks? :D That got the win last year.

Stay away from LL's knees, she likes to bring them out when LA's losing.

Assists. Pass the ball around. Teamwork. That's when our offense is at it's best.

Make Leslie work for her touches, nothing easy.

Nicole and Kara need to hit their shots. Or at least be aggressive and take them.

FTs. Please make them.

Our defense is the key. Hassle the guards. Pressure. No easy open looks for Holdsclaw.

Ticha and Yo need to be the leaders. Don't let LA get in your heads. Keep the team cool and collected. Go about your business and bring home a win.

On top of everything else that has been said...

-Leslie and Holdsclaw will get their points and rebounds, but DON'T let a third person have an "All Star" night (Dixon, Whitmore, Hodges, Mabika, etc.)

-Note to Ticha...if they sag off of you (which they probably will) feel free to actually take a shot because:
1)You actually do have a nice looking shot
2)You have Yo and Rebekkah ready to swoop in for the Offensive Rebound if you do miss

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
RDub21 said:
On top of everything else that has been said...

-Leslie and Holdsclaw will get their points and rebounds, but DON'T let a third person have an "All Star" night (Dixon, Whitmore, Hodges, Mabika, etc.)

-Note to Ticha...if they sag off of you (which they probably will) feel free to actually take a shot because:
2)You have Yo and Rebekkah ready to swoop in for the Offensive Rebound if you do miss
Hmmmm! Hey, Ticha...please see the highlighted part above. It is very good and I definitely concur. :)

MamaBristow said:
Black Sneaks? :D That got the win last year.

Nicole and Kara need to hit their shots. Or at least be aggressive and take them.
Ohh Myy Da Shoes

Forgot all about the Black Shoes. :p Could bring on Flashbacks...
FTs. Please make them.
LMAO!!!!!
And I know how much the free-throw thing Burns Mama Bristow's Bonnet.
And quite... Yeah we need to make them.
So please Mama B needs her Bonnets...
Lets make those free-throws.

I think its pretty simple. The Monarchs shoot better than 33% and get more than 60% from the line and play the same defense they have played all year they will win the game.

RDub21 said:

I agree that Leslie and "Cold"slaw will get theirs but it would be nice if they could presure Chamique. Se is not the most mentally strong player. Let Leslie do her thing.

TICHA!!!! - Shoot the doggone ball please.....:mad: