Kevin Martin leading scorer of the Vegas summerleague

Entity, I was not trying to undermine the work and determination put into the summer league, and I don't believe I have said anything negative towards him. What I was trying to say was we shouldn't start saying "IT'S THE START OF A LEGEND" because of summer league play.

KP said:
Kevin Martin is a baller.
That became very apparent to me when he had that killer between the legs (of another player) pass in one of the games when Christie was gone.

This kid can flat out play. The only question is can he take it to the next level? I for one am anxiously awaiting the start of the season to answer that question!!!!

:)

I know in my laker fan days, Kurt Rambis averaged between 35-40 points per game in his summer league games. I like Martin, but with his less than orthodox shot it would be quite a feat for him to ever be much of a consistent scorer. Well, maybe with some lbs he can score going to the hoop. I truly hope so. Still, I have some real reservations about him ever becoming a consistent shooter with that hitch in his delivery..

An attempted through-the-leg pass past an opponent can also have the appearance of a remarkably less than brilliant turnover of which Christie was a periodic master.

O

OhBoy

doesn't mean much....summer league is a joke especially the players who play in the summer league against martin...i mean if i played against martin in the summer league im sure hed have really good games and that's exactlly what's going on.....when the season starts he'll be trash once again..

T

thesanityannex

OhBoy said:
doesn't mean much....summer league is a joke especially the players who play in the summer league against martin...i mean if i played against martin in the summer league im sure hed have really good games and that's exactlly what's going on.....when the season starts he'll be trash once again..
1.Sounds like you really like Martin. 2. You will never be invited to Summer League. 3. People who are trash don't get drafted to NBA teams.

A

AriesMar27

^^^what about tyronne lue? he even has a championship ring.... but then again so does darko.... lmao...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm glad to see Kevin really turning on - even if it's "just" summer league.

(As far as Kevin being "trash" goes, that's just a ridiculous statement for a Kings fan to make and IMHO not worthy of further comment.)

If you look at Kevin's body type, I think you have to be reminded of another shooting guard with a similar build. And he didn't do too badly - especially while wearing #13 for the Sacramento Kings!!!

:D

As far as Kevin's unorthodox shot goes, he's been making that same shot for a long time. It may look unorthodox, but it works for him. And, in case you haven't really watched it, it can actually catch defenders off-guard ...

IMHO it ain't broke. It gets the desired results, I don't think people should be worried about him fixing it.

Last edited:
I have not watched him this summer, but I flinched every time he shot last year (even at the line). Pure shooters always seem to share shooting basics. They won't be able to change his shot at this point. It is what it is.

It will never be his strength IMO.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
No one - to my knowledge - has called Kevin a pure shooter. We have one of those already, remember? (And, as a matter of fact, that pure shooter's shot is far from correct technically...)

I'm actually glad Kevin will drive inside, take it to the hoop, etc. He'll draw more fouls that way and with a 84+% from the line, that won't hurt my feelings.

Hard for non-pure shooters to drive, especially if guys drop off of him. He may have shot 84 out of a hundred in practice one day, but the stats i'm looking at showed him shooting 65% at the line which will probably cause you some worry lines you friends will politely ignore.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
LA King Fan II said:
Hard for non-pure shooters to drive, especially if guys drop off of him. He may have shot 84 out of a hundred in practice one day, but the stats i'm looking at showed him shooting 65% at the line which will probably cause you some worry lines you friends will politely ignore.
He shot 84+ in college from the line. You might want to check it out...

Oh. I confess I was basing my opinion purely on watching him play for the Kings and, more importantly, his shot delivery. That's the problem with hitches - they can sadly mess up your consistency.

Hopefully he'll translate his college form into the high 70's this year.

To any of you that say it doesn't mean much, or a thing... i disagree. It does mean something and can only be a good thing that he's doing so well, but the real test will be once the fall arrive and to see if he can translate that success into NBA sucess...

LA King Fan II said:
Oh. I confess I was basing my opinion purely on watching him play for the Kings and, more importantly, his shot delivery. That's the problem with hitches - they can sadly mess up your consistency.

Hopefully he'll translate his college form into the high 70's this year.
He's a deadly shooter off the dribble. My problem with his mechanics as that they allow a good defender to lay off and sit on his dribble, negating his dribbling skills. He needs to fix his mechanics, and last time I went to a game, Carril was on the bench. Hopefully he was there to work with Martin and others on their shot.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Venom - Coachie has been working with Martin for quite a while. At the Kings games I attended last year, Coachie worked one-on-one with Kevin at each of them.

VF21 said:
Venom - Coachie has been working with Martin for quite a while. At the Kings games I attended last year, Coachie worked one-on-one with Kevin at each of them.

Good, cause if he can iron out that shot he'd be a pretty good triple threat player. He already has the mid-range game, which a lot of guys never develop. It seems his favorite thing to do is stop, pop, draw contact, and get the And 1. As things are now, I still like his scoring punch for the second unit, but that could change if we moved some pieces in trade, and got a more defensive starting unit.

Bricklayer said:
Kevin's full stat line:
39.7min 22.7pts (.585 FG% .500 3pt% .850 FT%) 5.7rebs 1.7ast 0.7stl 0.7blk 5.7TO 5.0fls
Cisco's full stat line:
36.7min 8.0pts (.233 FG% .200 3pt% .800 FT%) 4.7reb 2.0ast 1.7stl 1.3blk 1.7TO 1.3fls
It's interesting, if Cisco is pushing on defense knowing the Kings need rather than on offense or he's just struggling offensively playing his game.

my nephew

OhBoy said:
i beg your pardon! trash? kevin is far from trash. ohboy ohboy, are you in for a rude awakening. my nephew is the picture in the dictionary beside the word solid. You have nothing to base your comment on. garbage minutes in 05' are just what the word sounds like. pick a sport you play well and tell me just how good you would perform if you were put in night after night long after a game was decided. i say, let him start from the jump this season. get in sync with the other starting four, and sit back shut your mouth and watch hime soar. at this point, i wonder if you are a kings fan at all. diehard fans support the players on there roster to the end, and i am not just referring to my family. cisco also needs to be supported. remember this ohboy! negitive attitudes from fans in the stands, leads to negitive results on the court. if you want to see positive results from your kings, your job is to be positive even when things are not going so well. thank goodness you are not on our roster. i can see you doing much like randy moss did last year. getting frustrated and walking off the court. if your a fan be a fan. SACREMENTO KINGS 2005-06' NBA CHAMPS.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
OHSacFan said:
i beg your pardon! trash? kevin is far from trash. ohboy ohboy, are you in for a rude awakening. my nephew is the picture in the dictionary beside the word solid. You have nothing to base your comment on. garbage minutes in 05' are just what the word sounds like. pick a sport you play well and tell me just how good you would perform if you were put in night after night long after a game was decided. i say, let him start from the jump this season. get in sync with the other starting four, and sit back shut your mouth and watch hime soar. at this point, i wonder if you are a kings fan at all. diehard fans support the players on there roster to the end, and i am not just referring to my family. cisco also needs to be supported. remember this ohboy! negitive attitudes from fans in the stands, leads to negitive results on the court. if you want to see positive results from your kings, your job is to be positive even when things are not going so well. thank goodness you are not on our roster. i can see you doing much like randy moss did last year. getting frustrated and walking off the court. if your a fan be a fan. SACREMENTO KINGS 2005-06' NBA CHAMPS.
I wouldn't worry about Ohboy's comments. In fact, I think he made them just to see if he could get a rise out of someone...

;)

VF21 said:
I wouldn't worry about Ohboy's comments. In fact, I think he made them just to see if he could get a rise out of someone...

;)
yeah, family is family but I would just chill and not stoop to these guys level your better then that. "05-06 The year of K-Mart".

OHSacFan said:
OHSacFan, you've got a celebrity in the family... I think you're going to have to develop some selective hearing. Jeez, imagine what it must be like for Peja's friends/family, or Webber's before that... maybe that's why we don't see them on the boards that much. ;)
~~

Hey Alacron. Kevin's uncle isn't here to read your reply, so I'll try to explain his tirade as best I can. He comes from the type of background where family comes first no matter what and that you defend your family at all costs. He stewed for a while over Ohboy's comments, but I guess it got the better of him, and he couldn't let it go without stating his feelings. In fact, after he got it off his chest, he sat here and laughed for a while. He's the type of person to "get it out in the open" instead of keeping it bottled up. I respect that.

I understand that some people will say things to get a reaction, which is why I just passed that particular post on by without comment.

I really like KMart, I was hoping and praying that he would fall to the Pacers on draft night.

We ended up getting my favorite player in the game today, though (<<<<), so it's all good.

Still like KMart, however! :)

OHSacFan said:
Right on!!!

Martin & Cisco are going to be be two solid guards for us, both are very versitile, and can defend, I'm hoping GP leaves the 2 guard slot for both of them to share this year, so we can start developing them into the system, Martin playing good in the summer league dosen't meen he's going to transilate those stats over to the NBA this year, but you can clearly see that he is more comfortable with his game, and he's starting to find his place, it dosen't matter who he's playing against as long as he's making positive strides forward. The kid is our future!