Keon Tyrese Ellis

That means that if we want to make Keon a restricted free agent, we have to DECLINE the third year option, and let him enter free agency in the summer of '25.

Since Two-Way deals DO count for Bird Rights, we would have Keon's Bird Rights if we declined the team option.

So things could get very interesting, with the Kings possibly declining the option for year three in order to ensure that they can resign Ellis as both an RFA and with no effective cap restrictions.
IMHO, barring injury, I can almost guarantee the Kings will decline that 3rd year option and make Keon a RFA next summer in order to sign him to a long term deal. You don't want a defensive stud like Keon to hit unrestricted free agency. I expect Keon to be an integral part of this team moving forward.

Keon was awesome tonight. The activity and IQ defensively was special. It's just gravy when he's making shots and the right pass, although we need him to continue to do that to have a shot against the Pels.

Amazing night for him. I'm very happy for him.
Trying to stay somewhat leveled on Keon, but man his defensive film is just truly absurd. I remember us musing about how good his defensive activity and hands was in summer league and how it looked special then. And now he's doing that same thing to Steph Curry in a do or die game.

OK, so this is actually tricky.

We had Keon on a Two-Way last year. We have him currently on a two-year deal with a team option for a third year. Since Keon did play in the NBA (16 games) last season, he established a year of service time. This year is year two of service time. Next year is year three of service time.

The team option year would be year four of service time. After that season, Keon would be an UNRESTRICTED free agent, because only players with three years of service time or less, or players coming off of a first-round rookie contract can be restricted. Keon would not qualify.

That means that if we want to make Keon a restricted free agent, we have to DECLINE the third year option, and let him enter free agency in the summer of '25.

Since Two-Way deals DO count for Bird Rights, we would have Keon's Bird Rights if we declined the team option.

So things could get very interesting, with the Kings possibly declining the option for year three in order to ensure that they can resign Ellis as both an RFA and with no effective cap restrictions.
No chance we risk him walking after that year 3. We decline the option and sign him longterm after 2 more seasons at a bargain bin price tag

I almost feel bad for how small his contract is, as good as that as for the team. Probably gonna look like a highway robbery in year 3. Even worse than it does already.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I almost feel bad for how small his contract is, as good as that as for the team. Probably gonna look like a highway robbery in year 3. Even worse than it does already.
As discussed above, there's a legit chance that Monte declines the year 3 option in order to make Ellis an RFA, rather than risk losing him in free agency following year 3.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
A no name guy and a vet with one foot out the door both had great games and the guy made a joke about it.

I thought it was funny.
There's an implication that we'll never hear from either again in there. Keon's performance was only a surprise to people who have stubbornly refused to watch the Kings play this season or give them any credit for their improvements on the defensive side of the ball. He may not have superstar potential but I suspect he is going to have an impact in this league for a long time to come. People will get used to hearing his name.

There's an implication that we'll never hear from either again in there. Keon's performance was only a surprise to people who have stubbornly refused to watch the Kings play this season or give them any credit for their improvements on the defensive side of the ball. He may not have superstar potential but I suspect he is going to have an impact in this league for a long time to come. People will get used to hearing his name.
Agree. But funny is funny. And people love to trash Batum because he never lived up to what people thought he would be. But he’s been an excellent role player for a long time (with some ups and downs).