Kenny Thomas to Knicks Rumor

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I like Nate, you like Nate, we all like Nate, but I honestly don't think it would have been worth it. We'd have still had to deal with him in the offseason, and we need to focus on getting a starting point guard to send Beno to the bench rather than finding a sparkplug.

When you can get talent for free -- in this case Nate Robinson in exchange for a Kenny Thomas, you have to do that. He's young, he may even help you net that starting PG in the future. You coul have moved him for a player, a pick, whatever.

When you can get talent for free -- in this case Nate Robinson in exchange for a Kenny Thomas, you have to do that. He's young, he may even help you net that starting PG in the future. You coul have moved him for a player, a pick, whatever.
Normally I would agree, but he's a restricted free agent in the offseason, so he's not really tradeable. We would have had to sign him or do a S&T, which is always tricky, and then he becomes BYC, and it gets really complicated to deal him for another year.

He would only be worth trading for if we wanted him to stick around for a while, and I'm not sure how that would work long term.

Meanwhile, Kenny's contract is about to get a whole lot more valuable, particularly on draft day.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
That's exactly my point. Beno would make a fine backup, so would Nate. But you can't keep loading up on backups.

But Beno played like crap off the bench last year while Nate excels at it. Has the perfect mentality for a bench PG. Attack attack attack. Beno on the other hand is probably just a low level starter.

But Beno played like crap off the bench last year while Nate excels at it. Has the perfect mentality for a bench PG. Attack attack attack. Beno on the other hand is probably just a low level starter.
I agree, he'd be a better backup PG than Beno. But we're stuck with Beno for the forseeable future -- he's pretty much inked in as our future backup PG for better or worse. I think the focus has to be on finding a starting point guard rather than another player who projects as a backup.