Just so we are clear....

You know, that's an interesting comparison that I hadn't thought of. Very similar in style of play. Very physical, lots of free throws, good mid to outside shot, and get out of the way of this steamroller..I'm going through you.

I agree, closer to Malone than Webber
Cousins needs to learn to defend like Malone did. He used he strength and quick hands to make it so other post players couldn't get position and when they brought the ball down he would slap it away. He was a lot like Chuck Hays with out being a midget and had the ability to challenge shots with fouling.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I think that before we are through, people are going to be comparing the next great big man to Cousins.
I'll tell you what I really want to see: you know how, sometimes on NBA TV, whenever they show a player rising up a career leaderboard, they'll show the players he's chasing, with either the NBA logo (if he played for multiple teams), or the logo of the team he played for? Someday, I want to see somebody chasing Cousins up the career scoring list, with a fat Sacramento Kings logo underneath his picture.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Cousins needs to learn to defend like Malone did. He used he strength and quick hands to make it so other post players couldn't get position and when they brought the ball down he would slap it away. He was a lot like Chuck Hays with out being a midget and had the ability to challenge shots with fouling.
They never should have let go of Clifford Ray.

Malone was built like a brick wall. He was the guy that made all the other guys in the league start lifting weights just to be able to push back a little bit. When he was young, he was just stronger and quicker than anything that the NBA had seen to that point.

He was also a nasty piece of work on the court. No way you can get away with his "elbows first" style of play these days.

Pictured above, David Robinson fouls Karl Malone.

Last edited:
Malone was built like a brick wall. He was the guy that made all the other guys in the league start lifting weights just to be able to push back a little bit. When he was young, he was just stronger and quicker than anything that the NBA had seen to that point.

He was also a nasty piece of work on the court. No way you can get away with his "elbows first" style of play these days.

He didn't get away with it then either. He got suspended.

Indeed. Malone was a poor defender early in his career was he not? He became an all-league defender later on.

He didn't get away with it then either. He got suspended.
For one game. That would have been a ten game or half-season suspension today. I loved Malone. I hold a special place in my heart for on-court thugs. I'm really holding out hope that Acy is that guy for the Kings.

Pictured above, David Robinson fouls Karl Malone.
He may have actually ushered in the term "power forward". Not sure that the description was used before him

He's doing great for sure. I would like to see him pursue some tutelage from Hakeem Olajuwon. He's quick enough on his feet to make use of some of Dreams moves and strong enough to play like Shaq.

loved those Utah/Sac playoff series back in the day. was the beginning of our rise. that team learned a lot from the Jazz. when are those days coming back?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
loved those Utah/Sac playoff series back in the day. was the beginning of our rise. that team learned a lot from the Jazz. when are those days coming back?
We need to have a Utah to have to fight to get past, and then later own.

I nominate the Golden State Warriors: unlike many Kings Fans, I have never lived in California, let alone Sacramento, and so I have no emotions at all towards the cities of San Francisco or Oakland, nor do I feel any particular rivalry towards the Warriors franchise. However, comma, their style of play annoys me. I hate prissy little jumpshooters, and I always have, and it would make me happy if we were the team that kept their prissy little jumpshooters from ever winning anything.

Unfortunately, that wouldn't really work: our multiple playoff series with the Jazz taught us how to be tough, and the Warriors, as constructed, are ill-equipped to impart that onto us. They have a bunch of talented, highly skilled players, with unlimited range, but they're softer than Liberace at the Playboy Mansion.

I

I~true

Wow...he still leads the league in t's.

And fouls per game... Many of which are in frustration.

These things are consistent and are because of him.

He is a great Player on many levels except the most important one...his head.

I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I-true said:
IMO he is an all- star level virus.

It may be dormant bit it is always there.
This may be the most nonsensical thing I've ever read on this site and that's saying something considering the waves of people claiming at one point or another that Justin Williams, (insert name of random point guard during the Theus-Natt-Westphal years here), Hassan Whiteside, and Omri flippin' Casspi were each in their own times potential saviors of our franchise.

Since the franchise has stabilized under the new regime, Demarcus has been anything but a cancer. He's become our team captain for Pete's sake. It's amazing how many people will call out Demarcus Cousins as a team cancer when he's maintained a sparkling reputation off the court (i.e. no Larry Sanders breaking his hand in a bar fight moment) and thus far been a team leader and momentum setter on a young team that just may be beginning to gel into a potential monster squad. Many will point at his attitude and call him an immature monster and yet turn a blind eye to Lebron, Kobe, CP3, Blake Griffin losing their poo on the court on a daily basis (ex. Demarcus not letting IT shake CP3's hand = immature and cancer-worthy, CP3 getting into a fight after the game = being a team leader). Good players have always come with their fair share of antics and strong personalities. The reality of the situation is that if social media existed in the days of (insert star player here), there would be a whole lot of labeling of players (some justified, some unjustified). Seriously, can you imagine what would happen if Twitter was around when Wilt Chamberlain was going out on a nightly basis and knocking up not tens, not hundreds, but THOUSANDS of women?

Really, if Demarcus had come into the league as a member of a big-market "good team", media issues with his on-court persona would have probably faded years ago. Just look at how long it took JR Smith to finally get drummed out of the league despite his repeated nimrod behavior over the past decade. With wins come decreased focus upon the negatives. If we continue to win at a decent clip, I guarantee you that the national story on Demarcus shifts from Demarcus Cousins: Crazy dude who needs to get his stuff together to Demarcus Cousins: All-Star post-monster.

Anyways, most of your posts can be divided into two categories:
1- Cousins is overrated and a cancer
2- ZOMG IT is the greatest player in the NBA.

You might want to add a bit more variety to your posts lest you want the other people on this site to start thinking you live under a bridge.

To which I say, if technicals are an indication of being a cancer, then there are a lot of "superstars" that are cancers in the league. Dwight Howard has led the league in technical fouls numerous times and he's considered a lovable teddy bear despite the fact that he has given up on a team and actually gotten a coach fired. Kobe Bryant the superstar of superstars in the modern NBA has led the league in technicals and is routinely in the top five per season. Hell, Vlade Divac, the leader of the greatest show on court, was second in the league in techs in 1999-2000 and absolutely no one in the universe (or any other universe for that matter) would ever even think of calling him a cancer.

This year's top three in technicals: Demarcus, Blake Griffin, and Dwight Howard. Are the technicals that Demarcus got somehow worse than the ones on Blake and Dwight?

The fouls per game thing is interesting but you're failing to account for the fact that big men are traditionally more foul prone than little guys. Of this season's top ten in fouls per game, only one is a point guard and he's at #10 (Kyle Lowrie). Also in the top ten? Blake Griffin, Dwight Howard, DeAndre Jordan, and Andre Drummond, all of whom, for whatever reason, are not cancers like Demarcus is.

If fouls are your indicator of being a cancer or locker room destroyer, you need to try again because that's not gonna work

Last edited by a moderator:

maybe the worst line of reasoning I've ever seen. almost impressive.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Bullpoop.

DFC has shown incredible growth and maturity this year. If you don't see it, it's because you choose not to. But, of course, it could just be all of us and the rest of the freaking league that see it that way.

:rolleyes:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
The Cousins of old would fuss and fume for prolonged periods of times. He would be taken out of games because of his fussing and fuming. He would hold a grudge. He is not doing that anymore. I can't remember one instance where he had a prolonged snit but I'm sure there has been. T's are one thing and the fuming time bomb is another. The fuming time bomb was taken out of games for prolonged periods of time. I give credit to Shaq and Malone for helping him solve this issue. Ultimately, it is Cuz that solved it and that is to his credit. I honestly can't believe that anyone would think this guy is the same guy that was on the court the first three years. You have to be willingly ignoring the obvious.

DMC's number of technical fouls this season are vastly overstated. many of them have been reputation T's that other players would not have received for the same behavior. eventually, that will level off as demarcus continues to rehab his image. while it's unlikely that big cuz will ever abandon his bitter beer face, he's quite obviously learning when to walk away from situations that could result in harm to his team. in fact, opponents are actively baiting him into those situations this season, and he's still walking away. he's developing a more respectful rapport with the referees, and he's currently averaging a career high in minutes per game because of it. he's also doing his best to become a leader of these kings, as evidenced by the player's only meeting he took the initiative to call after embarrassing back-to-back losses at home. the team has responded with two straight wins. those who deny these rather obvious improvements in cousins' attitude are fools who would rather be "proven right" than concede the fact that demarcus is becoming the player we've all hoped he could be...

DMC's number of technical fouls this season are vastly overstated. many of them have been reputation T's that other players would not have received for the same behavior. eventually, that will level off as demarcus continues to rehab his image. while it's unlikely that big cuz will ever abandon his bitter beer face, he's quite obviously learning when to walk away from situations that could result in harm to his team. in fact, opponents are actively baiting him into those situations this season, and he's still walking away. he's developing a more respectful rapport with the referees, and he's currently averaging a career high in minutes per game because of it. he's also doing his best to become a leader of these kings, as evidenced by the player's only meeting he took the initiative to call after embarrassing back-to-back losses at home. the team has responded with two straight wins. those who deny these rather obvious improvements in cousins' attitude are fools who would rather be "proven right" than concede the fact that demarcus is becoming the player we've all hoped he could be...
he's also finally getting the foul calls. FTA has ratcheted up to 9 per game from 5.6 last season (6.7 to 10 per36). a side-effect of him banging more inside, but also a sign that there's a new level of respect between him and the refs, for sure. keeping in mind that he's made it a habit of finishing seasons strong, I'm kinda giddy to see what's going to happen in the next months.

he's also finally getting the foul calls. FTA has ratcheted up to 9 per game from 5.6 last season (6.7 to 10 per36). a side-effect of him banging more inside, but also a sign that there's a new level of respect between him and the refs, for sure. keeping in mind that he's made it a habit of finishing seasons strong, I'm kinda giddy to see what's going to happen in the next months.
yup. cousins is 4th in the nba in free throw attempts per game, behind only durant, harden, and howard. the big fella's becoming unstoppable in the paint...