Jones: How Bagley can help immediately

Also just 1 more thing to add as far as marvin creating space offensively. He does one of the quickest spins you'll ever see from a 6'11 player...
Something that gets missed with Bagley sometimes is how quickly he makes decisions with the ball. Reminds me a little of Antwan Jamison in that regard. He makes his move and gets rid of the ball so quickly that the defense doesn't have time to respond. I remember in college they once timed how long Jamison touched the ball for the entire game. He scored around 30 pts and 10 rebounds and only touched the ball for about 3 mins. Bagley is obviously both bigger and more athletic and already a better ball handler than Jamison.

Something that gets missed with Bagley sometimes is how quickly he makes decisions with the ball. Reminds me a little of Antwan Jamison in that regard. He makes his move and gets rid of the ball so quickly that the defense doesn't have time to respond. I remember in college they once timed how long Jamison touched the ball for the entire game. He scored around 30 pts and 10 rebounds and only touched the ball for about 3 mins. Bagley is obviously both bigger and more athletic and already a better ball handler than Jamison.
Heh I'll always remember this moment from a Duke-FSU game this year where Marvin was posting up, then spinning out and reposting so fast he had his man pretty much locked in the paint and looking completely helpless.. FSU has this monstrous frontline too..

I definitely see the Jamison element.

Look, I don't doubt that Bagley can help immediately, I don't even doubt that he'll be a very good player. What I am still not convinced is that we didn't give up drafting a transcendent player to get him.

And there is no way for us to be convinced otherwise until these guys actually play, and then some. So... Not much else we can do right
Yeah. Hence why I've been hanging around the Bagley bandwagon... haha

I'm just having a bad feeling seeing the Doncic-led Mavs in the playoffs when we are making our next big splash in the lottery for the 3rd decade.

You are wrong about this! Marvin does the euro-step like a guard! He's a savant at positioning himself to finish, thats his game.... He doesn't get tested that often so it kind of just looks like utter dominance.

Duke wasted so much time, and frankly their national title chances, letting Grayson Allen run the offense, and various other mistakes Coach K made with that roster throughout the season.

Marvin's arsenal of moves aren't like your old style post moves because he doesn't need to get you off balance or bowl you over with strength, he has the athletic advantage, he can simply go past you or over you and he is capable of all sorts of high degree of difficulty acrobatic finishes, plus if he misses close to the basket his 2nd jump is catlike up for the putback.

He's a space eater offensively. in that lurking dunk position right outside of the paint (1 foot in) on the baseline Bagley is a dangerous weapon for the Kings to have, If Fox beats his man on the perimeter it's gonna end up as a Bagley bucket or foul, a lot.
Agreed. Some are underrating Bagley's ability to score so effortlessly. The fact that he makes it look so easy is the reason why he will translate well into the NBA. In a nutshell, you don't score over 20ppg for no reason in one of the best college conferences.

Agreed. Some are underrating Bagley's ability to score so effortlessly. The fact that he makes it look so easy is the reason why he will translate well into the NBA. In a nutshell, you don't score over 20ppg for no reason in one of the best college conferences.
I don't know if anyone has pointed this out, but Duke's Kenpom rating was top ten in college basketball (6th if I remember correctly). For those who don't know what that is; it is their strength of schedule. They played one of the toughest schedules and he still put up 21 and 11 as a Freshman. That is almost unheard of.

I don't know if anyone has pointed this out, but Duke's Kenpom rating was top ten in college basketball (6th if I remember correctly). For those who don't know what that is; it is their strength of schedule. They played one of the toughest schedules and he still put up 21 and 11 as a Freshman. That is almost unheard of.
He did it efficiently too. He averaged the same amount of points per 40 at Duke that jabari Parker did but he did it on almost three less shots. Efficient scoring is the key to victories in the NBA and that's Bagley's specialty.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
You forgot to mention "next to another big man who was taken at #7".

If there's on thing I've learned about Summerleague throughout the years is you can't really use it to tell if a guy will be good, but you can definitely use it to tell if a guy isn't good. Jimmer, Trob, Papa G, McLemore all were bad at Summerleague and you could see their deficiencies. You can also kind of tell if a guy is "special", not so much by stats but just eye test. Demarcus had that pop and last year Donovan Mitchell and Jayson Tatum did, as well as Kuzma.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
This argument' about Bagley's so-called deficiencies in defensive instincts is meaningless. It's like saying Bagley is bad; why is he bad? Because he's bad, that's why, I've seen him play and he's bad and bad players don't normally become good even through instruction. :rolleyes:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
You are wrong about this! Marvin does the euro-step like a guard! He's a savant at positioning himself to finish, thats his game.... He doesn't get tested that often so it kind of just looks like utter dominance.

Duke wasted so much time, and frankly their national title chances, letting Grayson Allen run the offense, and various other mistakes Coach K made with that roster throughout the season.

Marvin's arsenal of moves aren't like your old style post moves because he doesn't need to get you off balance or bowl you over with strength, he has the athletic advantage, he can simply go past you or over you and he is capable of all sorts of high degree of difficulty acrobatic finishes, plus if he misses close to the basket his 2nd jump is catlike up for the putback.

He's a space eater offensively. in that lurking dunk position right outside of the paint (1 foot in) on the baseline Bagley is a dangerous weapon for the Kings to have, If Fox beats his man on the perimeter it's gonna end up as a Bagley bucket or foul, a lot.
Couldn't agree with you more on that.

dude12

Hall of Famer
In regards to the name of the thread, he immediately checks off the box for improved rebounding and playing with energy....looking at you WCS. I’m confidant that this coaching staff can help improve any defensive concerns and finally the hope is that he displays an ability at the pro level to drive the ball and hit mid range and eventually the 3.

This argument' about Bagley's so-called deficiencies in defensive instincts is meaningless. It's like saying Bagley is bad; why is he bad? Because he's bad, that's why, I've seen him play and he's bad and bad players don't normally become good even through instruction. :rolleyes:
The distinction is that Duke played a lot of zones and that Bagley (seemed like he implied) was assigned to be more of on the wing side, which he had to readjust. So it's not necessarily that he has been bad more so that he's been adjusting to a new set up.

Then again, how many 20-year-old out there are killing it in defense and still scoring the way Bagley did?

The distinction is that Duke played a lot of zones and that Bagley (seemed like he implied) was assigned to be more of on the wing side, which he had to readjust. So it's not necessarily that he has been bad more so that he's been adjusting to a new set up.

Then again, how many 20-year-old out there are killing it in defense and still scoring the way Bagley did?
18-year olds. he turned 19 in March. same thing with Luka (February). its crazy how young these kids are...

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
18-year olds. he turned 19 in March. same thing with Luka (February). its crazy how young these kids are...
My understanding is he didn't play varsity as a sophomore in high school and since he reclassified that means he's only had two years at the highest level available to him. He apparently has a great work ethic and wants to be in Sacramento. He may not have been my choice but I'm gonna give him the requisite 3 years.

After watching some Bagley footage I will say this; Bagley has a nice looking outside shot. The trajectory of the ball and the touch he puts on it makes it look like its going to go in when its halfway to the basket.

Where Bagley falls in terms of potential will come me down to the type of on ball player he becomes. Can shore up his handle on the open floor and be a grab and go player like a Lamar Odom? He shows flashes but we will see. Also his face up game will be key. If he can be like Bosh and face you up and hit a 20 footer he will have an easy gallop to the basket with his quickness and athleticism. If he hits his ceiling i can see him being kind of a hybrid of Blake Griffin, Lamar Odom and Chris Bosh. A litte from each of their games.

After watching some Bagley footage I will say this; Bagley has a nice looking outside shot. The trajectory of the ball and the touch he puts on it makes it look like its going to go in when its halfway to the basket.
His jumpshot has been an interesting subject. I agree with you that he has a nice balance shooting stroke, thing is (at least just the college sample size), when he's open he can make the college 3, but as soon as there is some pressure on him, he missed them, and missing them wildly. Like not even hitting the rim wild.

His jumpshot has been an interesting subject. I agree with you that he has a nice balance shooting stroke, thing is (at least just the college sample size), when he's open he can make the college 3, but as soon as there is some pressure on him, he missed them, and missing them wildly. Like not even hitting the rim wild.
Good thing they will be so concerned about Giles in the post and Buddy and Bogi at the three line he should be wide open ;)