Joerger Status. (He’s Fired)

bajaden

Hall of Famer
At the All-Star break we were 30-27 (.526). After the All-Star break we were 9-16 (.360), which is BAD, but we would have had to go 18-7 (.720) to make the playoffs. I don't think Shumpert could possibly have been worth 9 wins in 25 games.
To think that Shumpert is the difference between us making the playoffs or not, is lunacy. This is men's league, and you have to put on your big boy pants if your going to play in it. I'm a big chemistry guy, but if the chemistry is that fragile where Shumpert can make that big a difference, then they need to grow up. In general, a trade like that of a popular player will make a difference for a game or two, and that's it.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
To think that Shumpert is the difference between us making the playoffs or not, is lunacy. This is men's league, and you have to put on your big boy pants if your going to play in it. I'm a big chemistry guy, but if the chemistry is that fragile where Shumpert can make that big a difference, then they need to grow up. In general, a trade like that of a popular player will make a difference for a game or two, and that's it.
Shumpert was the difference between .500, and maybe a game above.

Maybe we can convince the FO to let all of us on this board collectively coach the team.

It would make for interesting TV.

WCS getting openly bashed on the court. Live in-game huddles of us telling Fox he isn't making any impact and asking Bogi why he's bricking every shot. SLAB subbing players in, making absolute sure Barnes never ever plays the 4 etc...

Entertainment would be endless.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Maybe we can convince the FO to let all of us on this board collectively coach the team.

It would make for interesting TV.

WCS getting openly bashed on the court. Live in-game huddles of us telling Fox he isn't making any impact and asking Bogi why he's bricking every shot. SLAB subbing players in, making absolute sure Barnes never ever plays the 4 etc...

Entertainment would be endless.
Like a real life sport version of TwitchPlays Pokémon.

Curious as to what the status is with the assistants.

It's interesting that some assistants signed the extension, some did not. Maybe we should have read more into that.

The Kings have regressed since the ASB.

Did the players quit on Joeger? I think the Kings players may have been more upset with the Joeger chewing out of Buddy on the court, more than they let out to the media.

Also, I think that Joeger's refusal to insert Bagley into the starting lineup, even with the Kings out of the playoff contention, clearly rubbed the FO the wrong way.

Bagley's chemistry development with the starting crew was essential for the Kings moving forward and Joeger didn't see it that way.
This exactly. There did not seem to be a rapport with the players. While I did poo poo the Buddy exchange when it happened, the fact that opposing players commented on it (Lillard) shows that it doesn't go unnoticed. The Bagley handling in the second half of the season was very clearly an "F" you to someone, if not multiple people.

Also, there was a quote from Joeger in the last couple weeks where someone asked how he thought the rookie class stacked up (or maybe it was specifically about rookie of the year). Joeger went out of his way to say Bags was the ROY. It was an over the top response at such an extreme from when he was caught talking about Luka earlier in the year. I think there was a lot of stuff going on in the background, as well as a bunch of passive agressive stuff from Joeger in general.

This move is going to get a lot of bad press nationally, but Vlade doesn't care about the optics at this point. At least he pulled the bandaid now rather than let it fester for another week or two.

Jason Jones just tweeted.... "Outside of player/management relationships there were on-court concerns, too. Bagley and Giles minutes were one thing. So was starting Harrison Barnes at PF for a stretch, even though Joerger had noted the lack of a true SF on the roster."

THIS!!!
DJ basically throws away Bogi's season by playing him out of position all year at the 3, we get a 3... and play him at the 4? ugh.
I told you all Giles minutes were an issue as was the small ball.

It all comes down to Labron and I would doubt he's cool with Walton for another year.
We should find out about Walton's availability pretty soon. Once more coaches get fired and there is more competition to get a good coach, the Lakers will move on Walton. There was a meeting between LeBron and Jeannie Buss yesterday, so I'm sure LeBron voiced his opinion about not wanting Walton as the coach next year.

Walton actually did a good job with the re-building Lakers last year. I would say he was doing much better than Joeger last year. In came LeBron and things blew up for him in Lakerland. I wouldn't be against Walton. He seems like an higher upside hire.

I'm a big fox fan. He's my favorite player on the team. But that's a bad look right there and shows how young he is. There's ways of showing support for your coach, or tell the fans that one game won't ruin the good season or give them hope that the best is yet to come. Telling your fans that their opinion doesn't matter isn't one of them.
As a very big Swipa fan and proponent of drafting him, I gotta agree. I didn’t like hearing his reaction and was really surprised by it. I’ve always known him as a player that hates to lose. Like most all the greats seem to understand, every game counts. Even the ones that don’t seem like they do. It’s called being a professional and a competitor. I thought Fox was like them, but this suggests he still has much to learn.

As much as a disliked Kobe Bryant and that LA team as our rival, I’ve always respected Kobe’s ‘Mamba Mentality’ and the fact that the second his team was out of it, he was already in the gym pissed off and working. He didn’t take games off and played to win each and every game no matter how insignificant. That’s how the great ones approach the game. De’Aaron needs to learn that skill or he has little chance to become one of them.

You realize that the trade had nothing to do with our struggles, right? Other teams started to turn it up a notch post all star break. It got harder to win games. Stop overrating shump already.
It has nothing to do with what Shump was doing as a player and more to do with:
-maturity (or lackthereof) of the rest of the team dealing with such a move
-mistakes made by coaching in using the talent they had
-Barnes being utter trash on offense for much of the remainder of the season

All of those things are negated if the trade isn't made. I'm not blaming Vlade, just responding to the post about the coach. He deserves blame. The players deserve blame. Vlade deserves blame. So I don't get why the coach gets fired which is 1/3 of the parties who are to blame.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
We should find out about Walton's availability pretty soon. Once more coaches get fired and there is more competition to get a good coach, the Lakers will move on Walton. There was a meeting between LeBron and Jeannie Buss yesterday, so I'm sure LeBron voiced his opinion about not wanting Walton as the coach next year.

Walton actually did a good job with the re-building Lakers last year. I would say he was doing much better than Joeger last year. In came LeBron and things blew up for him in Lakerland. I wouldn't be against Walton. He seems like an higher upside hire.
Rumors all over the place about who is driving Walton to be fired but one was that Magic wanted to retain him and that was the final straw. Of course the opposite rumor is also floating.

It has nothing to do with what Shump was doing as a player and more to do with:
-maturity (or lackthereof) of the rest of the team dealing with such a move
-mistakes made by coaching in using the talent they had
-Barnes being utter trash on offense for much of the remainder of the season

All of those things are negated if the trade isn't made. I'm not blaming Vlade, just responding to the post about the coach. He deserves blame. The players deserve blame. Vlade deserves blame. So I don't get why the coach gets fired which is 1/3 of the parties who are to blame.
Prob cuz you can't fire all the players and vlade won't fire himself. Unless he was going to follow in magic's footsteps. Coaches seem to always be the go to scape goat. It's not really fair but life ain't fair.

That’s kind of my take. Wouldn’t be to surprised if Joerger not accepting the olive branch was his final nail, while Williams was already done at that point.
I think it was the pissing match between Joeger and Williams that cost both of them their jobs.

Joeger probably got fired for not using the players the FO got for him (i.e. Bagley, Giles and then Harrison Barnes) the way that they wanted. Can't help to think that Joeger's refusal to put Bagley in the starting line up all year wasn't partly personal, because of his feud with Williams. Bagley showed he was the best bigman on the team, but he didn't sniff the starting lineup.

Brandon Williams got fired for being a douche bag for taking the spat public.

I knew when grant started questioning his rotations and minutes towards the end of the year that the writing was on the wall
Also, the few times I have heard Grant and Doug's show over the last month, he has gone out of way to talk about how if the Lakers let Walton go, he would have a job next year.

I really liked the job Walton was doing last season with his young team. I actually thought the lakers were progressing quicker than the kings before their FO decided to go all in with Lebron.