Joerger, Coach of the year?

Joeger would certainly be in the discussion. New Jersey coach I'd guess would be the main competition.

If kings make the playoffs or hang in the race to end of year, does joeger win Coach of the year?
If the Kings make the playoffs, he's certainly in the convo... but Vlade is a lock for GMOTY if that happens. And what if Bagley comes off the bench for the rest of the year but gets like 30 min/game and his stats explode, that propels a playoff appearance, and he gets 6th man of the year? Don't think a rook has ever won that one.

Joeger would certainly be in the discussion. New Jersey coach I'd guess would be the main competition.

If kings make the playoffs or hang in the race to end of year, does joeger win Coach of the year?

I think Coach Joeger would need to get the Kings into the playoffs to win COY.

But, winning COY can sometimes be a curse for a coach. I know there have been a bunch of COY that got fired the next year, because the organization put tremendous pressure on them to exceed their previous years accomplishment. A lot of coaches don't and then they get fired.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
COY usually goes to a top-seeded playoff team. That doesn't mean Coach Joerger isn't deserving this year, just that he'll have to wait until the Kings are top 4 to get the national recognition. Actually, there's still a chance this team gets to a top 4 seed this year... Portland is holding down that spot right now with 32 wins to our 28 wins. First things first though, let's keep this homing winning streak going.

pdxKingsFan

Hall of Famer
But, winning COY can sometimes be a curse for a coach. I know there have been a bunch of COY that got fired the next year, because the organization put tremendous pressure on them to exceed their previous years accomplishment. A lot of coaches don't and then they get fired.
Dwane Casey wants his next year :eek:

pdxKingsFan

Hall of Famer
Normally a 10 win turnaround is enough to get a guy in the conversation, and barring some major collapse we'll be looking at a 12-15 game turnaround from a team projected to lose ground from last season.

That said, nobody even talking about Joerger. It isn't really fair, but I think it's somewhat to our advantage to be flying under the radars. It might actually help our FA push in the offseason if we can sell a player as the guy who will put us back on the map.

Here's the COY candidates I think:
1. Mike Malone
2. Mike Budenholzer
3. Dave Joerger

I think Joerger wins if we get into the playoffs. Extremely low expectations, everyone assuming the Kings to be the worst team in the league, or at least bottom 5. It would end our franchise playoff drought of 12 years.

I don't think he should get COY. Yes his team suffers from injuries, but they play in an extremely weak East. Against the East, the Kings are 13-5. I think he's a very good coach who gets the most out of his players, but you really have to consider the weak conference he coaches in.

If the Kings make the playoffs in the loaded West then he's got to be at the top of the list. Think about where we were post draft. The national consensus was that De'Aaron Fox had a bad rookie season and may have been a bad pick. Marvin Bagley was considered a poor pick and that we really blew it by not selecting Doncic. Buddy Heild's ceiling was considered a 6th man. Every win projection had us in the bottom 3 of the NBA. Don't think I saw any of them that had us above 27-28 wins. CBS said we had the worst roster in the league. ESPN said something similar.

Fast foward to February. Save for a poor road stretch, Fox has shown the most growth of anyone in last years draft and looks like the best, or second best, player coming out of it. All of Hields stats are up and he's been a fringe all star so far. Bagley looks like the 2nd best rookie this year and has even hit a couple of 3 pointers, which I wasn't expecting to see. Giles has looked good. Yogi is playing the best ball of his career. On top of that we've already reached, and in some cases exceeded, our projected win totals.

Even if we don't make the playofs and Joerger doesn't win, he's still going to be the coach that beat his teams expectations the most.

I think Mike Malone is most likely to win this season, and the most deserving of it. But I do hope that coach Joerger receives a few votes. His efforts deserve to be recognized.

Malone deserves it more for me. He's definitely on the list but i'm glad Malone is finally getting his props
Not me. The KINGS have made the more meaningful jump IMO. Denver was already pretty good the previous season and before. And they are only flirting with 1st in the West due to injury struggles among GSW and HOU, which they had no control over. By the end of the season, I can see them dropping a few spots. But if they don't Malone will likely get the award.

Not me. The KINGS have made the more meaningful jump IMO. Denver was already pretty good the previous season and before. And they are only flirting with 1st in the West due to injury struggles among GSW and HOU, which they had no control over. By the end of the season, I can see them dropping a few spots. But if they don't Malone will likely get the award.
Yeah and Coach Malone has been central to Denver being pretty good the previous season and before. This season has been a long time coming for them and Malone should get recognition for that.

He should be!

Prior to the season starting Kings were considered one of the worst, if not the worst team in the NBA. Before the All-star break we are sitting in the 9th spot in a LOADED West.

Yeah and Coach Malone has been central to Denver being pretty good the previous season and before. This season has been a long time coming for them and Malone should get recognition for that.
So what? Dave Joerger was central to the Memphis Grizzlies being good for several years in the past. That doesn't mean he needs to be rewarded on an ex post facto basis.

Which coach has done more with less? While the KINGS have a lot of young talent, it's not seasoned or experienced thus harder to win. A lot of coaches around the league could win playing Denver's hand. But how many could develop the youngins while also winning the way DJ has? Certainly some, but I think not as many.

Regardless, all of these coaches being mentioned are 'deserving' of the recognition too. Malone's not alone on that island.

Last edited:
I don't think any team has dealt with more injury woes than Denver this year.

Season isn't over yet and I could see Malone, Joerger, Bud all deserving of it at this point.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Gotta echo the posters saying that it's either going to Budz or my guy Malone.

Joerger deserves to be in the conversation though. He's done an excellent job developing talent, and we're right there in the hunt for 8th.

So what? Dave Joeger was central to the Memphis Grizzlies being good for several years in the past. That doesn't mean he needs to be rewarded on an ex post facto basis.

Which coach has done more with less? While the KINGS have a lot of young talent, it's not seasoned or experienced thus harder to win. A lot of coaches around the league could win playing Denver's hand. But how many could develop the youngins while also winning the way DJ has? Certainly some, but I think not as many.

Regardless, all of these coaches being mentioned are 'deserving' of the recognition too. Malone's not alone on that island.
Malone has. The Nuggets finished under the Kings in the Western conference standings the year Malone took over and he's taking the team to the top of the West in his 4 years there. Going from perennial bottom dweller to 7th or 8th seed is not something that is celebrated with a Coach of the year award, it just isnt and if you look at historically who has won it, its always been those who have reached the peak.

I dont agree with your developing youth v leading an experienced team point. Have you seen the work ethic of Fox and Bagley ? Its as much about giving them a structure and ensuring they dont burn out as it is anything else. Dave has instilled a system which works well and he will get his props but Malone is at the top of the mountain now and deserves it more than Dave

I don't think any team has dealt with more injury woes than Denver this year.

Season isn't over yet and I could see Malone, Joerger, Bud all deserving of it at this point.
Right now, I agree that these 3 are the front runners. However, history has shown us that the last couple of months of the season often separate the contenders from the pretenders. I'm not making a prediction here, just saying we will see if these teams can maintain what they are doing or fade back into the pack.