Joe Johnson to Sign the Hawks Offer

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...26suns0726.html

The Suns brimmed in June with as much confidence about re-signing Joe Johnson as they would about defending the Pacific Division title.

This week, a pool of rising, nervous energy is swallowing up America West Arena. Several Suns organization staffers and others close to Johnson say they believe Managing Partner Robert Sarver will not match Atlanta's five-year, $70 million offer sheet, which Johnson cannot sign until next week after the free-agency signing moratorium was extended again Monday.

Once he signs an offer sheet, Phoenix would have a week to decide between matching the deal and saying goodbye to Johnson, a restricted free agent. Others still believe Sarver will match, but it is clear to all that he is unsure.

The Suns made re-signing Johnson a top priority this summer. They said they intended to maintain the team's core and would do everything "within reason" to do so. But this month's events surprised them.

The worst things that happened to hopes of retaining Johnson less expensively (the Suns offered $60 million for six years this month) were Seattle's and Milwaukee's re-signings of free agents Ray Allen and Michael Redd, respectively. Cleveland and Atlanta, teams with cap space, then switched their attention to Larry Hughes and Johnson.

Cleveland struck first with Hughes, a lower risk because he was an unrestricted free agent. His five-year, $70 million signing set the maximum-level bar for Johnson, whom Atlanta wants as a point guard.

The new collective bargaining agreement may have helped entice the Hawks into the fray, too. It cut the time allotted for a team to respond to an offer sheet from 15 days to seven. That would have left Atlanta's financial commitment tied up for less time if not for delays in finalizing the CBA.

Atlanta would not have become involved if it did not feel it had a logical shot, much like Phoenix's chase of Quentin Richardson last summer. Just as the Suns front-loaded Richardson's deal, Atlanta reportedly agreed to pay Johnson at least $20 million in the first year.

After Richardson (traded last month for Kurt Thomas) signed for $43.5 million last summer, Sarver declined to give Johnson the six-year, $50 million contract he desired, despite the staff's wishes. The combination of the two decisions still upsets Johnson, a teammate said.

Sarver proved prophetic in his first words to Johnson after they wound up $5 million apart last fall. He said: "Go out and have a good year and you're going to make a ton of money."

Sarver and Suns President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo declined comment Monday. Johnson's agents could not be reached.

One talked-about scenario has the Suns telling Johnson to take their offer, banking on loyalty, or he will wind up with Atlanta because the Hawks' offer is too much for Phoenix's budget. With Johnson signed to a maximum deal, Phoenix would be close to the luxury tax threshold with just six players in 2006-07, when Amaré Stoudemire's extension would begin.

After a hometown summer league game in Little Rock last week, Johnson told KATV-TV that he would sign Atlanta's offer sheet. Asked whether the Suns were doing anything extra to keep him, Johnson told KATV: "Not really. Atlanta, they came really strong. So you know, we're going to just sit back, wait and we're gonna see what's going to happen.

"Basically, it's pretty much done. To be honest, I'm pretty much . . . I'm gonna sign with Atlanta probably sometime (next week) and we're gonna wait and see if Phoenix is going to match."

If Phoenix is certain it will not match, it could seek a sign-and-trade deal to get some compensation. But any deal for a player would require Phoenix to take on almost as much salary, although it could be for a shorter time.

Those close to Johnson felt he wanted to stay with Phoenix, which still has his image on the Web page for season ticket sales. He said he would love to re-sign when he last left AWA but added that it was a business and it would be an "interesting" summer.

Phoenix's other priority was Stoudemire's extension. Johnson's possible departure won't sit well with the franchise big man, but nobody else can give him the money the Suns can (almost $90 million for six years). It may not even please Steve Nash, who already saw a team that he felt was close to a title get broken up in Dallas.

Johnson is slated to play Friday in Nash's charity game in Toronto. Will it be his last game with Nash, Stoudemire and Shawn Marion?

I say this is a bad move on Atlanta's part, on Johnson's part, and on Pheonix's part. Johnson at PG just wont work, and ATL already has practically an army of players similar to Johnson. They should either hold on to their money for next year, or make a trade. Johnson should know that he has a much better chance to win in Pheonix, and the 20 mil just isnt worth the trouble in ATL. Pheonix needs to be very agressive in trying to resign Johnson, he is a key to their success, esp after losing Q-Rich. I can't see why they would trade Richardson if they were not going to be assured of resigning Johnson.

Maybe the Sun's GM isnt as smart as the Nash signing or the Amare drafting could indicate.

BobbyJ_for3! said:
I say this is a bad move on Atlanta's part, on Johnson's part, and on Pheonix's part. Johnson at PG just wont work, and ATL already has practically an army of players similar to Johnson.
Johnson has played point in limited minutes with the Suns for the past 2 years, but with Delk and Slaim as the other options its not like the Hawks have a pg anyways.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Phoenix matching this offer would save the Hawks from themselves. Johnson is a good player, but he's not a guy you pin the hopes and dreams of a franchise on, especially if you plan to play him out of position as a point guard.

Skill wise, Johnson can be a playmaker and facilitator, but I think the demands of the position will wear him down and he will get torched defensively.

That said, I think the Suns are in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. Spending that kind of money on Johnson in conjunction with Nash's crazy deal (check back in three years if you want to know why Cuban passed) and the extension it will take to keep Amare is going to put the franchise in the hole financially.

I guess it comes down to whether or not Suns ownership thinks the team is really knocking on the door to a title. If so, maybe the gamble is worth it. I guess we'll see.

ATL, once again, is screwing over other franchises with their own incompetence. I think Pheonix has to match though, and try to win in the next 2-3 years while Nash is still in his prime.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I just don't see Phoenix having much choice here unless they want to be the ultimate one-shot wonders. This is just one of those things where you have to suck it up and do it or your young team of the future becomes one of the past. I might very well immediately start looking for potential trading partners for a future deal, but you can't let that talent walk. Not when you just won 60+ games and made it to the WCF.

Bricklayer

LPKingsFan said:
ATL, once again, is screwing over other franchises with their own incompetence. I think Pheonix has to match though, and try to win in the next 2-3 years while Nash is still in his prime.
And this I agree with. That franchise is just pissing me off with its incompetent desparation. They're distorting the entire market with their own stupidity, and given their patheticness, I'm not at all sure I see their positive contribution to the league outweighing the negatives of having such bumblers in the mix. Think its time to trade them and the Sterlings down to the NBDL. ;)

Bricklayer said:
I just don't see Phoenix having much choice here unless they want to be the ultimate one-shot wonders. This is just one of those things where you have to suck it up and do it or your young team of the future becomes one of the past. I might very well immediately start looking for potential trading partners for a future deal, but you can't let that talent walk. Not when you just won 60+ games and made it to the WCF.
Hopefully their front office is dumb enough to believe Nash, Raja, Marion, Kurt, and Amare can still win.

Anything to help make the pacific weaker is fine by me.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Freakout said:
Hopefully their front office is dumb enough to believe Nash, Raja, Marion, Kurt, and Amare can still win.

Anything to help make the pacific weaker is fine by me.
I disagree.

I don't want to see the Pacific Division get weaker. I want to see the Kings get stronger!!!

I think the Suns have actually been smart this offseason, at least in terms of long-term viability. The front office gave up on a championship right now, probably assuming that they can't beat Duncan's Spurs. They don't want to overload their team with bloated contracts and are trying to make room for a big max contract for Amare, and then continue building the team around a younger core. It may fail miserably, but signing that giant Johnson deal doesn't seem too smart. Hence, the Hawks do it.

Bricklayer

captain bill said:
I think the Suns have actually been smart this offseason, at least in terms of long-term viability. The front office gave up on a championship right now, probably assuming that they can't beat Duncan's Spurs. They don't want to overload their team with bloated contracts and are trying to make room for a big max contract for Amare, and then continue building the team around a younger core. It may fail miserably, but signing that giant Johnson deal doesn't seem too smart. Hence, the Hawks do it.
Maintaining your talent pool is ALWAYS smart. Worst case scenario you have an imminently tradeble and valuable piece in Joe Johnson. At his age this is really a no brainer if the Suns are serious about continuing to win, and maybe even if they are serious about keeping Amare. Its kind of men from the boys time for Phoenix. They are not rebuilding. They are right on the cusp. If you're not willing to spend what it takes now, you never will be, and you might as well just get out of the business now. If they keep JJ they are maybe one midlevel piece from going over the top. It would be as if Peja was up for the max in 2001. And our choices were pay him the max or let him walk. You now, if we DON'T pay Peja the max in that situation I am pissed (well, maybe not as much there because we had the fast rising Hedo in the wings). But its the same spot for JJ and the Suns. If they've ever going to compete for the title with this crew, it is right now int he next 2 or 3 years before Nash gets old. If they let JJ just walk, they sink back. Are just another good team. They will have blinked.

Joe Johnson is gonna get 20 million! :eek:

Wow, what a whacky, whacky, whacky offseason. He is worth nowhere near 20 million dollars.

And I do mean, NOWHERE NEAR!!!

BobbyJ_for3! said:
I say this is a bad move on Atlanta's part, on Johnson's part, and on Pheonix's part. Johnson at PG just wont work, and ATL already has practically an army of players similar to Johnson. They should either hold on to their money for next year, or make a trade. Johnson should know that he has a much better chance to win in Pheonix, and the 20 mil just isnt worth the trouble in ATL. Pheonix needs to be very agressive in trying to resign Johnson, he is a key to their success, esp after losing Q-Rich. I can't see why they would trade Richardson if they were not going to be assured of resigning Johnson.

Maybe the Sun's GM isnt as smart as the Nash signing or the Amare drafting could indicate.
Anything is worth for 20million ;) But its really bad trade for Atlanta and it an equally bad loss for the Suns.

Bricklayer

SacTownKid said:
Can you say Allen Houston?
Mmm..better rounded game and younger than Allan was he signed that contract. But yes, vastly overpaid for a guy who is really a #3 do it all option rather than a star (or for that money superstar).

Suns just traded Jake Voschule (sp?), backup center, to Charlotte for a conditional 2nd round future draft choice to give them room to match any offers for JJ. So if he's gone and Hunter leaves does that mean Amare plays the whole game?

Rowdyone said:
Suns just traded Jake Voschule (sp?), backup center, to Charlotte for a conditional 2nd round future draft choice to give them room to match any offers for JJ. So if he's gone and Hunter leaves does that mean Amare plays the whole game?
The offseason isnt over yet but so far the Suns Front Office has handled this offseason pretty badly...

Rowdyone said:
this is perfect, we can get Hunter and make their team that much weaker. :cool:

I don't know why you guys are so down on Atlanta doing this. They have to overpay to get talent, ALOT. So, they are. They need a PG, and Joe Johnson is a really nice player. Is he a max player? No, but neither's Redd, and the only reason he got it is because of the inept Cavs. The Cavs lucked into Lebron, Paxson cleared cap space, and Ferry pissed that cap space away. Atlanta is trying to better themselves, nothing wrong with that. Too bad for the cry-baby Colangelos. And, long-term, they would be better off not matching cause Amare is bolting to LA.

A

AriesMar27

do you think that we could tradebonzi, corliss and hart to atl by the trade deadline for jj? when the hawks are still the worst team in the league this coming feb and paying jj 20 mill i think that they would be down for that trade.... get a pg, sg and sf for 1 overpriced g/f playing way out of position......

that'd be nice.... we'd still have price or house as a back up point and jj would be starting over martin and garcia... and probably backing up peja.... that would be sweet....

Pheonix not pursuing Johnson? Maybe not...

Phoenix clears salary with Voskuhl trade to Charlotte

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-suns-voskuhltrade&prov=ap&type=lgns

July 27, 2005

PHOENIX (AP) -- The Phoenix Suns have agreed to trade center Jake Voskuhl to the Charlotte Bobcats for a conditional second-round draft pick, Voskuhl's agent said Wednesday.

The Suns made the move to clear salary in their bid to re-sign guard Joe Johnson.

``I think this is a great opportunity for Jake,'' agent Mark Bartlestein said. ``He'll get to play a lot of minutes on a young, growing team.''

Voskuhl will make $2 million next season, money the Suns can now use to try to re-sign Johnson, a critical part of the Phoenix team that won 62 games last season.

Suns president Bryan Colangelo said he could not comment until the new collective bargaining agreement with players is finished. The free-agent signing period has been delayed twice and is expected to begin next week, possibly Monday or Tuesday.

The Atlanta Hawks reportedly are ready to offer Johnson, a restricted free agent, the maximum five-year, $70 million contract he can get under the new bargaining agreement. If Johnson signs the offer, the Suns have seven days to match it.

Voskuhl, who played collegiately at Connecticut, averaged 2.1 points and 2.4 rebounds in 38 games last season. He played four seasons with the Suns. His best was 2003-04, when he averaged 6.6 points and 5.2 rebounds.

This could also mean that the Suns are just cheap and trying to unload salary, but I think this Johnson to Altanta saga is not finished quite yet. One last chapter to be told.