Joe and Gavin Maloof met with Burkle on Thursday

Glenn

Hall of Famer
It appears that the info about the new arena plan and everything else that is new comes from Crandall. If that's valid news, fine and wonderful.

If you told me a week ago that all this would have been going on, I'd have said you enjoyed April 20th a bit too much.

Now, I need to get some popcorn and continue to watch this yo, this is some high-quality drama and entertainment right here (no diss to the Sactown fans of course, just talking about the situation).

If you told me a week ago that all this would have been going on, I'd have said you enjoyed April 20th a bit too much.

Now, I need to get some popcorn and continue to watch this yo, this is some high-quality drama and entertainment right here (no diss to the Sactown fans of course, just talking about the situation).
Well, I am a Sactown fan and tense as I am over this whole thing, even I can appreciate the high drama of the situation. Its like a good soap opera. Or like a really exciting game coming down to the final seconds. Except we really need to get this game into overtime (building an arena)

Last edited:
Well, if they decide to sell it can only increase their value...
I suppose, but they only own about 50% of the Kings. They owe an unknown amount, but by all accounts, it's upwards of 150m. Bidding war or not; they could sell the team and end up penniless. I can see why they want to tread water vs. sell. Losses on paper are just that. Sell and the loss becomes permanent. Joe Maloof has looked strung-out for a while now. I wouldn't be surprised if it was because of stress. I honestly thought he was seriously ill until the financial stuff went public.

I really think Stern is looking at this as trying to buy out the Maloofs share of the team minus the hefty chunk they owe the NBA and the banks that loaned them money. Which if the reports of at least 75 million are true, the NBA can buy the Maloofs share for a mere 75 million or so. Since Burkle would certainly beat that amount and Samueli has been taken out of the equation, they are feeling trapped and being lowballed. Which could explain the odd moves lately. Stern is pretty much known to be a bully and could use owning two teams in the upcoming CBA and then sell them both off at high profit later to guys like Burkle and Ellison. Stern gets what he wants in leverage and a tidy profit for the league post CBA when he turns over the teams. The NBA is really focused on getting their house in financial order this summer and beyond and that has to play into Stern's thinking right now. He really has more at interest here than just what is good for Sacramento or the Maloofs. I just don't see how the Maloof family fits into that picture long term now. They really picked a bad time to force this issue and left no exit strategy for themselves.

Not really sure who to believe anymore. We all saw and heard the 'Burkle needs to go back where he came from and stay out of our business' comment from the Bros. Maloof...and now THIS rumor surfaces...WTF!?! This REALLY needs to be made into movie...The Fast and the Furious: Sacramento Rift, anyone??

OK.. I am going to send Grant a text on the whole Crandall thing with the article posted above, and see if he can link these two reports together with the added Burkle meeting from yesterday and see what he has to say.

I also wanted to send him a text a bit after about the Maloofs financial situation and a needing a bailout. I am sure he will shoot it down but I wanted to get his take if it sounds a bit fishy or not how this is all playing out.

OK.. I am going to send Grant a text on the whole Crandall thing with the article posted above, and see if he can link these two reports together with the added Burkle meeting from yesterday and see what he has to say.

I also wanted to send him a text a bit after about the Maloofs financial situation and a needing a bailout. I am sure he will shoot it down but I wanted to get his take if it sounds a bit fishy or not how this is all playing out.
I'd guess that he might comment on the articles, but not their finances.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I am officially starting to lean away from being a Maloof apologist. I can understand their panic and as emotional as I get, I can see myself behaving like they are except for maybe demanding a tape from a media outlet. Just the same, as with me, it is bad business. Would I like to have a beverage with them? You betcha! Do I want them owning the Kings? Hell no.

So that's what I mean by leaning. In a normal economy, a little sloppiness would still result in profit. In this economy, only the bright come out the other end. I have had questions enough on how they may have tied Petrie's hands especially with the MLE signings. The immediate idea was to keep fans but it missed the long term plan of blowing the team to hell to have an opportunity to be great. They don't know how to run a basketball team or at the leat, turn it over to someone who knows what he is doing.

I really think they are blowing it and the cat with the Cheshire grin is Burkle as he watches the madness play out like a soap opera.

Why do they want the tape? Is it slander? Tampering (whatever that is)? Hell no. Jackson stated a common perception. There is no law suit here and I doubt the Maloofs could afford one.

I am officially starting to lean away from being a Maloof apologist. I can understand their panic and as emotional as I get, I can see myself behaving like they are except for maybe demanding a tape from a media outlet. Just the same, as with me, it is bad business. Would I like to have a beverage with them? You betcha! Do I want them owning the Kings? Hell no.

So that's what I mean by leaning. In a normal economy, a little sloppiness would still result in profit. In this economy, only the bright come out the other end. I have had questions enough on how they may have tied Petrie's hands especially with the MLE signings. The immediate idea was to keep fans but it missed the long term plan of blowing the team to hell to have an opportunity to be great. They don't know how to run a basketball team or at the leat, turn it over to someone who knows what he is doing.

I really think they are blowing it and the cat with the Cheshire grin is Burkle as he watches the madness play out like a soap opera.

Why do they want the tape? Is it slander? Tampering (whatever that is)? Hell no. Jackson stated a common perception. There is no law suit here and I doubt the Maloofs could afford one.
Even the most staunch Maloof supporters have changed their tune, lol.

L

LWP777

All of this focus on the Maloofs lately has got me thinking. I'm sure this will get deleted by the mods, but I'm really just curious. Are the Maloof brothers gay? They have never been married, have no kids, and I've never once seen them with a woman. Plus, Joe was highlighting his hair for a while there. This is by no means meant to offend any gay people out there. I'm just curious.

All of this focus on the Maloofs lately has got me thinking. I'm sure this will get deleted by the mods, but I'm really just curious. Are the Maloof brothers gay? They have never been married, have no kids, and I've never once seen them with a woman. Plus, Joe was highlighting his hair for a while there. This is by no means meant to offend any gay people out there. I'm just curious.
No. I sat next to Gavins girlfriend on a flight when they got majority control.

Being filthy rich with no kids and no wife when you want to be a playboy is the smartest decision I've seen them make.

No. You'll have to trust me on this one.

Glenn has been leaning this way for a while now. He's still had a handful of Maloof defenses in his pockets, but it was apparent he was going to be one of the converts right about the time that KJ spoke to the BOG and the Maloofs ran away from reporters I think. There are a few others still dug in, but the real test will be when the shock-jocks at KHTK come over as well.

Perhaps about the time that the Maloofs theoretically file for bankruptcy we will see in their records that the reason this rebuild has gone on for so long has been financial rather than tactical. I think that's when even Grant Napear will have to come out of his foxhole.
Grant Napear is going down with the ship. I think it's obvious he's already made that choice.

It's hard not to lean away from the Maloofs when week after week they just keep making terrible blunders and decisions that are hard to explain. It has to be tiring defending that. When you compare it to the great decisions and calculated words that KJ has, it makes them look that much worse.

They treat their women like they treat their nba franchise.... they move from one good thing to the next. not being married and playboy image... that's the epitome of commitment :p yah?