jay williams

F

Fillmoe

Rockets And Heat After Jay Williams20th July, 2005 - 8:49 pmCaller - The Rockets are attempting to retain free agent guard Jon Barry and center Dikembe Mutombo. Barry provided a good spark off the bench, but there are plenty of possible replacements. Free agent point guards Jeff McInnis (Cavaliers), Dan Dickau (Hornets), Earl Watson (Grizzlies) and Damon Stoudamire (Blazers) have stirred some interest.

But the Rockets may look for a potential diamond in the rough. Former Duke guard Jay Williams is back playing two years after serious leg injuries suffered in a motorcycle accident. The Miami Heat and Rockets are two teams who are interested in the former second overall pick.

yall think he can be a star player after his injury?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn't think he had a chance to be a star player before his injury. That said, I hope the guy has a full recovery and carves out an NBA career.

Williams, Kellen Winslow, Jeff Kent (supposedly) . . . Think the Steelers are still biting their collective fingernails that Ben Rothlisberger is riding around Pennsylvania on his motorcycle with no helmet?

A

AriesMar27

i could see him doing okay in miami... he'd have no pressure on him and would just hit wide open jumpers.... if the injury has had any real damage to his quickness he is screwed in houston, but they need a point guard bad....

i just hope that the lakers dont pick him up....

Except, unlike some other injuries, these were essentialy self inflicted, against his contract kind of thing, as opposed to a story deserving pitty like G-Hill.

Man hopefully he can get back to where he was, But in cases like his ( Kinda like bobby hurley, they even went to the same college and played at the same spot, kinda scary) there never the same again....Wish him the best.

i remember after the accident, jay swore that he would give the bulls the first opportunity to sign him back after he was healthy enough to play. i kept the newspaper article just so i could see if he honors that deal. the bulls would take him in a heartbeat i think, if only to trade him so they get something out of it.

Grobar - The problem is the Bulls are already stacked at the PG position right now. He is considered a free agent I believe, so I don't think he would sign with the Bulls and then wait until they were ready to trade him. You never know though, stranger things have happened. Now that the Kings need a backup PG, we may want to take a look at him.

This article has some updates on his rehab: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-williamsrecovery&prov=ap&type=lgns

A quick quote:

"While no team has offered him a contract yet, agent Kevin Bradbury said there are six to eight teams that have been checking on his progress. He'll do official workouts as soon as he clears the last few hurdles in his rehab program.
Williams' preference is to rejoin the Bulls, who waived him in February 2004 after buying out the last two years of his contract. But Chicago already has Kirk Hinrich and Ben Gordon, and general manager John Paxson wants to bring Chris Duhon back."

oh yea i know that. i live in chicago so i follow the bulls, and i know the pg position is stacked. i wanted to see from jay's perspective what he would do. if he would say to other teams, "i'm not doing anything unless the bulls sign off on it first." i understand the nba's a business, but i just wondered if he would honor his word. out of curiosity purely.