Jason Thompson

After a GREAT win against a terrific Grizzlies team, Rudy Gay is going to get a lot of love along with DMC and a couple other guys that stepped up at crucial moments. But this was the perfect example of a TEAM WIN.

Nobody is going to talk about how Andre Miller came in and settled the offense, calmed the team, he didn't fill the stat sheet but his ability to come in and be a veteran presence was CRUCIAL.

MAJOR KUDOS to Jason Thompson. He's a guy that won't get much credit either because he didn't exactly tear it up offensively, but he was in there battling and banging all night. He didn't back down not once from any contact, and against Memphis, you've got to have guys who are going to be able to get in there and put there big boy pants on. Down low, it was World War 3 all night and Thompson provided some crucial DEFENSE, shot blocking, and rebounds. The little things. We DON'T win this game without JT.

Any questions?

The main thing you have to do with JT is play him, depend on him. He will have an important roll on a winning team if you just play him. He's up to it. Dare him.

JT is a great role player and he will be one of the guys who will absolutely love playing for George Karl. He won't be boxed into a certain role. He will be given a bit of freedom but he will have a clarity of what his role is. As coach Karl said in his after game presser, its a luxury to have 2 big guys capable of playing good D so you don't have to double up on Z-Bo or Gasol.

JT is a great role player and I think he will be a pretty solid and reliable player for us in the George Karl era.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
JT is a great role player and he will be one of the guys who will absolutely love playing for George Karl. He won't be boxed into a certain role. He will be given a bit of freedom but he will have a clarity of what his role is. As coach Karl said in his after game presser, its a luxury to have 2 big guys capable of playing good D so you don't have to double up on Z-Bo or Gasol.

JT is a great role player and I think he will be a pretty solid and reliable player for us in the George Karl era.
Yep, George Karl is one of those rare coaches (at least for the King) who knows how to handle role players and really let them shine. I mean, the post-Melo era in Denver was nothing but role players and the man had them playing better than they should have.

Also, JT has suddenly become a rim protector over the past couple of weeks. While I don't expect it to continue, it has been nice to see.

Extremely valuable piece on a championship contender 4-5 years from now. The Kings that is. He's number 5 on the don't trade list for me, after DMC, Rudy, Ben, Collison. Even if he ends up coming off the bench. The fact that he's become such a great post defender is absolutely huge.

After a GREAT win against a terrific Grizzlies team, Rudy Gay is going to get a lot of love along with DMC and a couple other guys that stepped up at crucial moments. But this was the perfect example of a TEAM WIN.

Nobody is going to talk about how Andre Miller came in and settled the offense, calmed the team, he didn't fill the stat sheet but his ability to come in and be a veteran presence was CRUCIAL.

MAJOR KUDOS to Jason Thompson. He's a guy that won't get much credit either because he didn't exactly tear it up offensively, but he was in there battling and banging all night. He didn't back down not once from any contact, and against Memphis, you've got to have guys who are going to be able to get in there and put there big boy pants on. Down low, it was World War 3 all night and Thompson provided some crucial DEFENSE, shot blocking, and rebounds. The little things. We DON'T win this game without JT.

Any questions?
can we get a damn stretch 4 so we can open some space up for cuz? what's he doing down there clogging up the lane!!!

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
yeah I have a question....how many consecutive games can JT string together where he plays this effective? seems like he does this less on the road games.

Another great game by JT tonight. He just might be the biggest benefector of George Karl becoming our coach! It did help that he was manning up Duncan. JT strives when he is up against a big name opponent.

Next up Aldridge!

yeah I have a question....how many consecutive games can JT string together where he plays this effective? seems like he does this less on the road games.
I'm convinced it's the Karl effect. Good role players always benefit from a steady, team-bought-into system. They're not like stars where they'll just shine based on talent alone, but players like JT really stand to benefit from REAL basketball... whatever the style.

A while ago we had a thread about who the top guys on the team would be who would benefit from Karl. JT was high on my list... but so was sessions so don't put too much weight in it.

But Ben was high on my list too, and both have done very well under Karl.

Thank you baby Jesus for giving us this head coach.

Against the Spurs, JT played center in place of Cousins, which is probably his natural position in the NBA. He did a credible job. JT may be more competitive playing against centers than power forwards, although his defensive assignment was Duncan, not Splitter. He has some really good games, but lacks consistency and disappears in some games.

JT is a product of 90's big men. Thus whenever the Grizz, Spurs come around his true value comes out. The games he looks bad in is when we play against the stretch 4's that drag him out of the paint. JT is a valuable piece to have, and his value would truly shine in playoff basketball when the game slow down. I think he should stay as a 3rd big. I think Grant and Jerry said it best last night, whenever a new coach comes in you expect JT to just get buried in the bench, but ultimately his work ethic and motor get him right back on the court and usually as the starter.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Doug Christie told a story one time about his playing days with the Kings, and why they played so well together. He said, and I'm paraphrasing, that he made mental notes of when a teammate like Webb or Peja etc. touched the ball. If for instance, Webb hadn't touched the ball in a few trips down the floor, he made sure that he got the ball to Webb, not necessarily to shoot it, but to keep him involved in the game. He said it's important for every player on the floor to feel involved because they play better when they're involved. To echo those comments, in and interview with Kyle Korver, he was asked why the Hawks are playing so well. He said because they go rid of all the big egos. That no one cares who scores. That everyone is looking for the open man. THAT EVERYONE FEELS INVOLVED!

In Karls system, the players are going to feel more involved, which in most cases equals harder play on both ends of the court, and better play on both ends of the court. So I don't think its an accident that JT is playing better. He's gone from an after thought to an important part. Leadership isn't, throw me the ball so I can win the game for you. Leadership is ability to unit everyone into a team that plays together. When Wilt Chamberlain went to the Lakers, Jerry West took him aside and said, look, we know you can score, but your a great passer, and a great defender and rebounder, and that's what this team needs. We have plenty of guys that can score. And that's what Wilt did, and they won the championship. Not making any predictions, but it's possible that JT may go from an unwanted contract, to a key member of Karl's team. Or not! Should be an interesting summer.

Against the Spurs, JT played center in place of Cousins, which is probably his natural position in the NBA. He did a credible job. JT may be more competitive playing against centers than power forwards, although his defensive assignment was Duncan, not Splitter. He has some really good games, but lacks consistency and disappears in some games.
One reason he has disappeared in the past is because the coach limited his minutes. Never understood that other than he may have been on the new group's " he's gotta go" list.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
JT is a product of 90's big men. Thus whenever the Grizz, Spurs come around his true value comes out. The games he looks bad in is when we play against the stretch 4's that drag him out of the paint. JT is a valuable piece to have, and his value would truly shine in playoff basketball when the game slow down. I think he should stay as a 3rd big. I think Grant and Jerry said it best last night, whenever a new coach comes in you expect JT to just get buried in the bench, but ultimately his work ethic and motor get him right back on the court and usually as the starter.
Why would anyone expect JT to get buried on the bench of this team with our bigs? Coaching changes or not, or big rotation since we drafted JT has been quite poor.

I didn't watch the Sac broadcast last night but I have no idea why Grant/Jerry would think anyone who understands our roster would expect JT being anything less than the 3rd big.