January Performance: How is Everyone Progressing?

I'm focused on our youngster core:
1) Fox & Mason
2) Bogie, Hield & Richardson
3) Jackson
4) Skal
5) WCS & Papa

Of these, the brightest lights are Fox, Bogie, Hield and WCS. WCS ain't perfect, but he is making strides.
The dimmest lights are Papa and Jackson. At the moment.
The wildcard is Skal. Even after 3 years of development, I see him as equally possible to be a bust, or to be flashing all-star potential. Same after 5 years.
But using the wisdom of being patient and allowing rookies 3-5 years to grow into their professional selves (and prove their value), I'm not keen to rid ourselves of any of our youngster core just yet. If there was an opportunity to pick up a decent 1st round pick in 2019 and it would cost me a veteran and a youngster, I would probably include Papa in that deal. After 3 years of development, I just don't see him being anything more than a 12th man on any NBA team. But in 5 years, who knows, Papa could become as valuable as Koufos (in a similar role).
I am not sure I agree about Fox.

Too often he drives collapses the defense and forces a shot instead of kicking the ball out to open shooters. As the point guard it’s his job to get teammates easy shots where they excel and so far he has not succeeded. He is a big reason why we are 3rd in 3 point percentage and 28th or so in attempts. That’s a damning stat if your the point guard on the team.

Papa cpuld develope i to something decent 4 to 5 years from now....kings fans need to be much much much more patient with yoing guys...it takes about 5 years

If someone better comes along then cut him. But if there is a spotvat the end of the bench there are worse prospects that could take the spot (cooley)
uh..the Kings better not be extending him if this is the same stuff we see in 2 years(when his contract expires). If he doens't get a lot better, I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in Europe.

Are we really not going to be able to see if Hield/Bogdanovic can play together starting as our two best wing prospects?

Hield isn’t a 6th man, he’s a quality starting prospect IMO. Did we trade Cousins for a sixth man? Was Buddy picked 6th to be a sixth man? How much are we going to pay Buddy as a 6th man and will no other team want him as a starter?

Play them together for a stretch one time
Considering all of our lotto picks except of WCS have busted as of late, I'm fine with Hield turning into a 6th man lol.

I don't think Hield/Bogdan works because Bogdan would be a liability at the SF position while Hield is a bad defender.

We all have short memories. That Frank Mason stretch against (I think) the Clippers where he turned the ball over seemingly everytime he was even in the vicinity of the ball was worse than the Papatanic stretch in Charlotte.
Gonna have to disagree. One was horrible play, the other looked like it didn't belong on the court in the first place.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
uh..the Kings better not be extending him if this is the same stuff we see in 2 years(when his contract expires). If he doens't get a lot better, I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in Europe.
Papa is best off playing in European basketball where the pace isn't as fast

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I am not sure I agree about Fox.

Too often he drives collapses the defense and forces a shot instead of kicking the ball out to open shooters. As the point guard it’s his job to get teammates easy shots where they excel and so far he has not succeeded. He is a big reason why we are 3rd in 3 point percentage and 28th or so in attempts. That’s a damning stat if your the point guard on the team.
He's a rookie. He's learning by leaps and bounds. You're judging him as though he's a premiere guard, which he is not - yet.

He's a rookie. He's learning by leaps and bounds. You're judging him as though he's a premiere guard, which he is not - yet.
I’m judging him in terms of the “brightest lights” used by the person I quoted. Now to be fair I did see Fox drive and kick out once during this Spurs game so that’s improvement. He is so quick that defenses have to give help and that does open up shooters. Once he learns to pass back out to the open shooters we will be a much better team. I think someone else posted how the Kings take a large number of long pull up twos relative to other teams.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The Kings take long twos because they don't know any better or they just don't feel that comfortable with the 3 yet. That's being young. That doesn't have to do with Fox.

In many instances Fox doesn't have to drive and kick to be effective. The opposing team is soooo concerned with him getting to the basket they are forming a wall in the paint, and when they do so an easy pass to the perimeter gets the defense out of whack, especially when that pass is followed by another pass. The Fox act is only at the beginning of the beginning. Much much more to come.