James Bouknight

He wasn't on my radar during the season. But his name has popped up across a number of mock drafts. I think, after Jalen Green, this dude is the best three level scoring prospect in the draft (ahead of Cade). See pros and cons here:

He is intriguing but personally I'm lukewarm toward guards with tunnel vision. Bouknight gives me the Marcus Thornton/Nick Young vibe. If a player is just going to be a volume shooter, I expect him to drop some threes at a respectable rate but he doesn't. On top of that, he doesn't disrupt the passing lanes and come up with steals on defense. To me, he's very one-dimensional and even in that dimension he is not a finished product. I get that he's very good at creating for himself from the mid-range in, but is that enough to be a #9 pick? I just don't think so. Having suffered through the Tyreke/Salmons/Thornton era, guards that can't shoot and don't pass are not guards that I want on the Kings.

He is intriguing but personally I'm lukewarm toward guards with tunnel vision. Bouknight gives me the Marcus Thornton/Nick Young vibe. If a player is just going to be a volume shooter, I expect him to drop some threes at a respectable rate but he doesn't. On top of that, he doesn't disrupt the passing lanes and come up with steals on defense. To me, he's very one-dimensional and even in that dimension he is not a finished product. I get that he's very good at creating for himself from the mid-range in, but is that enough to be a #9 pick? I just don't think so. Having suffered through the Tyreke/Salmons/Thornton era, guards that can't shoot and don't pass are not guards that I want on the Kings.
Thornton is harsh. Thornton never had any handles.

If Bouknight’s handle doesn’t translate, he’s a bust. But I’m betting on that handle. His current modern comp for me is Lavine. The high usage criticism is fair, but he would be an upgrade over Buddy by year two—because he can attack the hole, which Buddy is still extremely poor at. My preference is for a wing creator like Barnes or Jalen Johnson or Giddey, but I would be completely fine with Bouknight.

Last edited:
I don't hate Bouknight as a prospect, but he's probably the absolute worst fit as a guard that probably can't swing to to the 3 and best attribute is being an on ball scorer. Little spacing little creation little defense. He's a much better fit in a team like Orlando or Houston missing on ball creation

I don't hate Bouknight as a prospect, but he's probably the absolute worst fit as a guard that probably can't swing to to the 3 and best attribute is being an on ball scorer. Little spacing little creation little defense. He's a much better fit in a team like Orlando or Houston missing on ball creation
I think his three ball will improve to league average. Not the first year, but by year 2.

If Fox is your long term PG, I think this team needs dogs who can run up and down the court with him. Having three ball handling guards, who can score on three levels, run with Fox, and play with each other is a luxury not an impediment.

Keeping it simple, would the Kings be a better team with Lavine instead of Buddy? Kings make the playoffs with Lavine. And, of course, if Bouknight is the pick, Buddy is gone. A win, win in my book.

I think his three ball will improve to league average. Not the first year, but by year 2.

If Fox is your long term PG, I think this team needs dogs who can run up and down the court with him. Having three ball handling guards, who can score on three levels, run with Fox, and play with each other is a luxury not an impediment.

Keeping it simple, would the Kings be a better team with Lavine instead of Buddy? Kings make the playoffs with Lavine. And, of course, if Bouknight is the pick, Buddy is gone. A win, win in my book.
Yeah, if you think Bouknight can develop into a Lavine like spacer (just checked, 42% on 8 3PA??? Dude has become legit great), that drastically changes his outlook as a scorer/player. It's just hard to predict that right now or trust it when he doesn't have a whole lot else to fall back on.

I think Bouknight will be a better player in the NBA. At UConn, he was the entire offense. I'm not sure I saw him take a single uncontested shot in the games that I watched because he was always doubled or tripled. I think he would be a really good fit on the Warriors.

I think Bouknight will be a better player in the NBA. At UConn, he was the entire offense. I'm not sure I saw him take a single uncontested shot in the games that I watched because he was always doubled or tripled. I think he would be a really good fit on the Warriors.
I see nbadraft.net updated Bouknight at 8 and Zaire to us at 9. Interesting pushing a couple players I’d be more interested in down.
Anyways, as I spend most my time in Australia’s interior and have scattered access to NBA news, wondering if the Warriors are interested in a shooter how about Buddy. Warriors have two lottery picks 7th and 14th we have the 9th, Buddy has been rumoured to them and most here seem keen to move on. Seems like a potential trade partner especially if we pick up another guard or wing.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
No, no 190 pounds score first guard is going to give you the value with Fox/Haliburton as your backcourt of the future and Delon Wright already on the squad.

I see nbadraft.net updated Bouknight at 8 and Zaire to us at 9. Interesting pushing a couple players I’d be more interested in down.
Anyways, as I spend most my time in Australia’s interior and have scattered access to NBA news, wondering if the Warriors are interested in a shooter how about Buddy. Warriors have two lottery picks 7th and 14th we have the 9th, Buddy has been rumoured to them and most here seem keen to move on. Seems like a potential trade partner especially if we pick up another guard or wing.
Doubt it. The Dubs want a wing defender (or two) to replace Oubre, preferably one that can also switch to 4 when Draymond plays the 5.

And I don't see how both teams can match salary.

Doubt it. The Dubs want a wing defender (or two) to replace Oubre, preferably one that can also switch to 4 when Draymond plays the 5.

And I don't see how both teams can match salary.
Klay is coming back so that might lessen the need. I still see them trying to move that pick for a star at some point with that and Wiseman as the prize. Also I think they probably need to re-sign Oubre so they can have extra salary filler to make a deal down the road.

I'd be down to dump Harrison Barnes buddy and perhaps Bagley for more lottery picks.

I really like Kai Jones, Davion Mitchell as well.

If Bagley is dumped jalen Johnson.

Dump Harrison Barnes buddy and Bagley for Kai Jones and Davion Mitchell for example.

We draft Jalen Johnson

Fox- Delon
Mitchell- TD or whoever
Haliburton- Harkless or whoever
Jalen Johnson- whoever
Kai Jones- Damian Jones.

Fox Mitchell and Haliburton could all interchange handling duties and are super versatile on offense.

On Defense they should definitely be able to hold their own stopping wing penetration , Mitchell would make then play hard at all times, he's a savage on defense.

Then Kai Jones would be able to handle pick and role coverage, he's great laterally, like WCS, and handle mopping up the paint.

Jalen Johnson I'm not sure about his defense but I'm sure he would at least be able to be average.

A man could dream, I would love this.

I'd be down to dump Harrison Barnes buddy and perhaps Bagley for more lottery picks.

Dump Harrison Barnes buddy and Bagley for Kai Jones and Davion Mitchell for example.

We draft Jalen Johnson

Fox- Delon
Mitchell- TD or whoever
Jalen Johnson- whoever
Kai Jones- Damian Jones.

Fox Mitchell and Haliburton could all interchange handling duties and are super versatile on offense.

On Defense they should definitely be able to hold their own stopping wing penetration , Mitchell would make then play hard at all times, he's a savage on defense.

Then Kai Jones would be able to handle pick and role coverage, he's great laterally, like WCS, and handle mopping up the paint.

Jalen Johnson I'm not sure about his defense but I'm sure he would at least be able to be average.

Fox, Mitchell, and Haliburton against Kawhi and PG? Well if the other switchable teams at the top of both conferences don't get you, there's the team that will bury you alive. If you aren't a super team then keeping up with the Jones' is mandatory. There is no tricking your way through a team bigger, stronger, more athletic and more capable than you are if you are undersized at every position unless you want to bring Don Nelson out of retirement and even he will probably get you no farther than the 1st round.

Klay is coming back so that might lessen the need. I still see them trying to move that pick for a star at some point with that and Wiseman as the prize. Also I think they probably need to re-sign Oubre so they can have extra salary filler to make a deal down the road.
They're also losing Kent Bazemore (probably). I don't see them re-signing Oubre after he failed to live up to their expectation.

Agree, they will probably explore trading the pick. However, I have a hard time seeing Hield is the one they settle on. Plus, matching salaries would be challenge.

They're also losing Kent Bazemore (probably). I don't see them re-signing Oubre after he failed to live up to their expectation.

Agree, they will probably explore trading the pick. However, I have a hard time seeing Hield is the one they settle on. Plus, matching salaries would be challenge.
Yeah, that's why I could see them using Oubre to make a deal. That's the challenge for them, all their salary is tied up in players they probably don't want to move. Wiggins did pretty well last year for them so I doubt they want to move him and I doubt many other teams will be beating down their door to take him along with Wiseman and 7.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

7, 14, Wiseman and filler for Pascal to expand their championship window

We draft Jalen Johnson

Fox- Delon
Mitchell- TD or whoever
Jalen Johnson- whoever
Kai Jones- Damian Jones.

If the Kings did this, they would be lucky to win 25 games IMO.

7, 14, Wiseman and filler for Pascal to expand their championship window
Pascal just had surgery that will have him missing at least the first half of the season. The Warriors need to start getting more young talent on their team or they will put themselves in a bad way for the future as their stars get on the downside of their careers.