IT, JTA, and Lonnie Walker in town for workouts

It would be nice to see Isaiah Thomas in a Kings uniform, since they drafted him way back when. But with all the guards currently on the roster, where would he fit in? Six players are currently listed at shooting guard, and an additional guard at point, namely De'Aaron Fox. Of course, one of those guys, Devin Carter, is injured long term, and another, Colby Jones, is questionable to make the roster. Yahoo lists seventeen men on the payroll at this moment.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
It would be nice to see Isaiah Thomas in a Kings uniform, since they drafted him way back when. But with all the guards currently on the roster, where would he fit in? Six players are currently listed at shooting guard, and an additional guard at point, namely De'Aaron Fox. Of course, one of those guys, Devin Carter, is injured long term, and another, Colby Jones, is questionable to make the roster. Yahoo lists seventeen men on the payroll at this moment.
Has it been determined if McLaughlin's deal is guaranteed or not? If it is there's not a realistic roster spot for IT.

Assuming Brown starts Fox, Ellis, DeRozan, Murray and Sabonis, then Malik is essentially the backup PG (while also eating up a lot of back up SG minutes) and McLaughlin is the 3rd string PG.

And based on what we've seen from Mike Brown previously, if Fox were to miss games I wouldn't be surprised to see him start Ellis at PG and Huerter at SG to keep Monk in his 6th man role. What the Kings really need right now is more of a SF/SG to fill that last roster spot. JTA may start the season on a 10 day contract with the Kings for that reason. Though with Carter out until January or so, Walker makes some sense too. Especially with how shaky Colby was in SL.

dude12

Hall of Famer
McLaughlin is a really good backup, I’d be shocked if he doesn’t really play. IT has zero chance here. Surprised Lonnie Walker is not on a team tbh. Ordinarily, I’d say he would make it as depth but man we have a lot of guards and guards who will swing to the 3.

Has it been determined if McLaughlin's deal is guaranteed or not? If it is there's not a realistic roster spot for IT.

Assuming Brown starts Fox, Ellis, DeRozan, Murray and Sabonis, then Malik is essentially the backup PG (while also eating up a lot of back up SG minutes) and McLaughlin is the 3rd string PG.

And based on what we've seen from Mike Brown previously, if Fox were to miss games I wouldn't be surprised to see him start Ellis at PG and Huerter at SG to keep Monk in his 6th man role. What the Kings really need right now is more of a SF/SG to fill that last roster spot. JTA may start the season on a 10 day contract with the Kings for that reason. Though with Carter out until January or so, Walker makes some sense too. Especially with how shaky Colby was in SL.
10 day contracts aren't available till January.

I wouldn’t read much into this honestly. Guys workout/scrimmage with other NBA guys all the time ... Better for current Kings to be scrimmaging against other comparable players then some random college kids

You can't just say JTA like we know who that is.
Have to agree on the concept. Those "in the know" tend to use such abbreviations too often for those not in the know. Even game broadcasters overly use abbreviations or even pet names while announcing. It just serves to reinforce the clique of "us" while completely confusing the more casual fan, better known as "them".

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Have to agree on the concept. Those "in the know" tend to use such abbreviations too often for those not in the know. Even game broadcasters overly use abbreviations or even pet names while announcing. It just serves to reinforce the clique of "us" while completely confusing the more casual fan, better known as "them".
I'll echo this. There are a LOT of player nicknames that I am not aware of. I assume those of you that watch a lot more basketball than I may be aware of them all, but just remember that some are not. If you could please make an effort to be a little more conscious of folks that don't watch every minute of every game in the league when posting that would be much appreciated.

Any guard trying to make the Kings at this point has a big uphill battle unless Monte pulls off a Huerter trade prior to the season.
I give it a 50-50 chance of happening, with the Kings' target as Cameron Johnson, in exchange for Kevin Huerter and Jalen McDaniels. The latter player can be traded a week from today, if the 60-day rule applies in his case.

Last edited:
Nassir Little just got waived. Interesting name for a back-up 3-4 that everyone has been wanting.
Monte is probably done dealing unless it's a camp invite or partial guarantee. Spotrac has the Kings still having cap holds for McGee, Slawson, and Ford on there for some reason. Waiving them all puts the Kings BARELY under the luxury line at 169 something.

I give it a 50-50 chance of happening, with the Kings' target as Cameron Johnson, in exchange for Kevin Huerter and Jalen McDaniels. The latter player can be traded a week from today, if the 60-day rule applies in his case.
It would be surprising to see Monte add 94 million of impending salary on a player so similar to Keegan when he himself has to be extended here pretty soon. That would be a pretty sweet score if that's all it took though.

McLaughlin is a really good backup, I’d be shocked if he doesn’t really play. IT has zero chance here. Surprised Lonnie Walker is not on a team tbh. Ordinarily, I’d say he would make it as depth but man we have a lot of guards and guards who will swing to the 3.
I didn’t realize McLaughlin was such a good catch and shoot 3 pt shooter. He’ll definitely be playing IMO

From Woj…

Free agent G Lonnie Walker IV has agreed on a one-year deal with the Boston Celtics, his agent George S. Langberg of GSL Sports Group tells ESPN. Walker IV averaged 9.7 points and shot 38% on three-pointers in 58 games for Brooklyn last season.