Isaiah Thomas watch

"We had meetings (recently) with the coaches and the general manager, and they even said, 'On 29 other teams, you'd probably be starting, and it takes a lot to put your pride aside and do what's best for the team," Thomas told USA TODAY Sports earlier this season. "I just know everything is subject to change. I mean, it's a long season. There are highs and lows."
So, Thomas was asked, does that mean starting remains a goal?

"That's my plan," said Thomas, whose current production (16.9 points, 4.4 assists, two rebounds and 24.4 minutes per game) is outpacing Bledsoe's (14.1 points, 5.1 assists, 4.1 rebounds and 31.0 minutes per game). "Every day that I come in, that's what I want to do. That's been my mindset from Day One, since I was a little boy. I mean, everybody wants to be a starter. I'd be lying to you if I said it doesn't bother me that I don't start, but I'm going to do what's best for this team and continue to work, continue to be me, and hopefully one of these days my name is called and I'll be a starter and that's that. I can only do what I can control, and that's being me and giving it my all and the coach has got to do the rest."

His words folks. I can't believe they told him he'd start on 29 other teams. Uh, no.

Clearly, no one offered him a starting job or he would have jumped at it.

Last edited:
IT has 21 points on 13 shots in 22 minutes. PHX gets 49 from there BACK-UP GUARDS in only 49 minutes of play.

I honestly see them moving Green soon enough. He's streaky, but at a depleted position around the NBA, he'd probably be a starter on 20 other teams. They should be able to find some great front-court depth and balance that roster out.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
"We had meetings (recently) with the coaches and the general manager, and they even said, 'On 29 other teams, you'd probably be starting, and it takes a lot to put your pride aside and do what's best for the team," Thomas told USA TODAY Sports earlier this season. "I just know everything is subject to change. I mean, it's a long season. There are highs and lows."

"That's my plan," said Thomas, whose current production (16.9 points, 4.4 assists, two rebounds and 24.4 minutes per game) is outpacing Bledsoe's (14.1 points, 5.1 assists, 4.1 rebounds and 31.0 minutes per game). "Every day that I come in, that's what I want to do. That's been my mindset from Day One, since I was a little boy. I mean, everybody wants to be a starter. I'd be lying to you if I said it doesn't bother me that I don't start, but I'm going to do what's best for this team and continue to work, continue to be me, and hopefully one of these days my name is called and I'll be a starter and that's that. I can only do what I can control, and that's being me and giving it my all and the coach has got to do the rest."

His words folks. I can't believe they told him he'd start on 29 other teams. Uh, no.

Clearly, no one offered him a starting job or he would have jumped at it.
And that will always, always, always, be his mindset. He could be 6th man of the year and it wouldn't matter. He'll never be happy with anything less than being a starter.

IT has 21 points on 13 shots in 22 minutes. PHX gets 49 from there BACK-UP GUARDS in only 49 minutes of play.

I honestly see them moving Green soon enough. He's streaky, but at a depleted position around the NBA, he'd probably be a starter on 20 other teams. They should be able to find some great front-court depth and balance that roster out.
I think they would be foolish to trade Green. I can't think of any teams that would give up equal value for Green.

I'm surprised that many of you don't like him and are glad that he isn't on the team. I must admit, I never watched how he played for the Kings so you all may be right, he may have been bad for you.

However....this kid has been nothing but AMAZING for the Suns thus far. He's outplayed All NBA star Goran Dragic and the $70M man Eric Bledsoe by far. IT has been the best player on the Suns this season imo. Such an efficient player, and he is #1 in the league in offensive +/- and probably #1 in pts per minute.

And he hasn't been a ball hog for us so far. The times that he doesn't pass the ball, usually results in him taking a great shot. He sometimes constantly passes the ball too much to Gerald Green which gets annoying, I'd rather IT just call for a screen and take it to the rim himself.

Suns players love this guy. And I know yall are nit picking his comments in this thread but all he's said since coming here is this, (I'm paraphrasing): "I love Phoenix and I signed here because they showed that they wanted me. They wanted me for being a 5'9, scoring guard. They genuinely wanted me here and that's all I've wanted, to feel wanted. I'd obviously rather start (which competitor wouldn't?) but I'm fine with coming off the bench if that's what's gonna help us win ball games.".

Funny thing is that IT may not start but he's closed almost every single Suns win so far this season. He plays more crunch time than EB or Dragic and not because he whines about it, because he earns it with his play.

IT plays with more passion and heart than rest of the entire Suns team combined. I love this guy and I no longer hate the Kings because of the fact that they gave us IT. I went through this thread and laughed when reading about IT's "ego". He's the most unselfish player on the Suns and he's sacrificed his tiny 5'9 body for rebounds and loose balls all season long. He's CONSTANTLY clapping and cheering loudly for the Suns when he's on the bench.

I never knew how great IT is at driving to the rim and finishing or either drawing the foul or both. I never knew how great a shooter from 3 AND from mid range he is. I totally underestimated his play making ability as well. He's the best contract in the NBA (barely $7M/season) and its crazy to think that all he needed was to feel wanted by a team.

His only bad game this season was against the Kings and that was mainly due to the fact that his grandfather passed away shortly before tip off and it clearly affected his game.

I think the Collison-Thomas swap has worked out great for you guys so far (only 2 losses this season) so I think it was best for IT to come to PHX and maybe for Collison to come to Sacramento.

IT may have been bad for you guys (idk because like I said earlier, I didn't really watch much SAC basketball) but if he was, he's definitely learned his lesson and improved big time for us.

Best of luck (except for when you play us)

I think they would be foolish to trade Green. I can't think of any teams that would give up equal value for Green.
^this. Expect Bledsoe to be traded before Green does.

But I don't think Bledsoe will go anywhere either.

Only guards who the Suns are probably willing to trade are Archie Goodwin and Tyler Ennis.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm surprised that many of you don't like him and are glad that he isn't on the team. I must admit, I never watched how he played for the Kings so you all may be right, he may have been bad for you.

However....this kid has been nothing but AMAZING for the Suns thus far. He's outplayed All NBA star Goran Dragic and the $70M man Eric Bledsoe by far. IT has been the best player on the Suns this season imo. Such an efficient player, and he is #1 in the league in offensive +/- and probably #1 in pts per minute.

And he hasn't been a ball hog for us so far. The times that he doesn't pass the ball, usually results in him taking a great shot. He sometimes constantly passes the ball too much to Gerald Green which gets annoying, I'd rather IT just call for a screen and take it to the rim himself.

Suns players love this guy. And I know yall are nit picking his comments in this thread but all he's said since coming here is this, (I'm paraphrasing): "I love Phoenix and I signed here because they showed that they wanted me. They wanted me for being a 5'9, scoring guard. They genuinely wanted me here and that's all I've wanted, to feel wanted. I'd obviously rather start (which competitor wouldn't?) but I'm fine with coming off the bench if that's what's gonna help us win ball games.".

Funny thing is that IT may not start but he's closed almost every single Suns win so far this season. He plays more crunch time than EB or Dragic and not because he whines about it, because he earns it with his play.

IT plays with more passion and heart than rest of the entire Suns team combined. I love this guy and I no longer hate the Kings because of the fact that they gave us IT. I went through this thread and laughed when reading about IT's "ego". He's the most unselfish player on the Suns and he's sacrificed his tiny 5'9 body for rebounds and loose balls all season long. He's CONSTANTLY clapping and cheering loudly for the Suns when he's on the bench.

I never knew how great IT is at driving to the rim and finishing or either drawing the foul or both. I never knew how great a shooter from 3 AND from mid range he is. I totally underestimated his play making ability as well. He's the best contract in the NBA (barely $7M/season) and its crazy to think that all he needed was to feel wanted by a team.

His only bad game this season was against the Kings and that was mainly due to the fact that his grandfather passed away shortly before tip off and it clearly affected his game.

I think the Collison-Thomas swap has worked out great for you guys so far (only 2 losses this season) so I think it was best for IT to come to PHX and maybe for Collison to come to Sacramento.

IT may have been bad for you guys (idk because like I said earlier, I didn't really watch much SAC basketball) but if he was, he's definitely learned his lesson and improved big time for us.

First, welcome to Kingsfans. We like to see fans of other teams come around once in a while (except Laker fans ;) )

Now, on to IT.

It's not that most of us don't like him. It's that most of us truly believed he could be 6th man of the year and wanted him in that role. Because of the roster situation and some players who didn't work out at the 1, however, he became our starting PG and it just didn't work. We had 28 wins... not because of IT, but because our starting 5 just didn't gel.

Isaiah can be an incredible asset, but the same talents that can lead to 28 points can lead to terminal iso ball that drove us nuts. (And don't get me wrong - there are people here who still support IT and think it was a mistake to allow him to leave. They just aren't in the majority.)

I am not going to address his need to be needed because - HELLO? - we freaking gave him a chance when we drafted him with the last pick in the draft. He got his chance in the NBA because of the Sacramento Kings. It would be nice if he acknowledged that once in a while, you know?

I hope IT works out for you guys but I will give you a bit of advice - don't be too convinced quite yet that he's all that and a big bag of chips. You may think that it's enough that he gets the closing minutes but he will never be completely happy until he starts. It's been his life goal.

As far as why he had a bad game against us, I don't think it was about his grandfather. I think he was too wrapped up in "proving" us wrong. One thing that fuels IT is proving people wrong. He's had to do it his entire life and when facing the Kings I think it got into his head.

Again, I bear IT no ill will. Most of us wish him no ill will. Speaking for myself, however, I just got tired of it always being about IT. He can't help it but his need for approval and validation overrides his basketball common sense at the most inopportune times.

Good luck - except when you're playing us. :)

Give it time.

We all said all along he could be a great sixth man. Just keep him under 25 mpg and you'll be fine. His weaknesses get pushed aside when his minutes are lower. You just see the scorer. He's the exact same guy he was for the Kings. What you see is what you get. He's still selfish. Look at your wing players waving for the ball while he goes 1 on five. I've seen dejected wings drop their hands in frustration when IT vision takes over. Once at the end of the first quarter (IT did indeed score) was particularly noteworthy where he dribbled out the entire clock.

That's just the limit of his ability. To you he's outplayed Dragic and Bledsoe, to some (dragic himself has questioned his role) he's frozen both of them out at times. He's always viewed the other guards on the roster as competition. Believe me, he wants one of their jobs. Someone will eventually have to go. I'm not sure the Suns would be better with IT starting.

He was front and center as the kind of player that the new owners/FO had to remove to improve the me-first culture that destroyed a semi talented team's chance at winning. He was by no means alone. But he was the starting PG. Kings never won more than 28 when he was here. Most of that time, despite his sudden amnesia, he started. It's not his fault, but that's the truth.

Also, the kings have not one but two goto guys at the end of games. Suns didn't really didn't have that guy. So IT is perfect. Fighting for shots with Rudy Gay and Demarcus Cosuins was less than perfect.

It's a matter of fit.

But if you think IT is better, we will gladly take Dragic. :)

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
This IT stuff is fricken hilarious. So he wants to start? Sin of sins in the NBA. Heaven forbid. I wonder if Sessions wants to start? I wonder if Stauskas wants to start? What about Landry? GET THEM OFF THE FREAKING TEAM THEN - THEY WANT TO START!

Look, the Phoenix fan has it right - Thomas has been the best player for the Suns so far this season. . Without him, they don't have as many wins, despite the fact he wants to start. And if you don't believe me, then you should have heard Napier when he remarked that the Suns coaches said Isaiah had been the best player on their team, despite the fact he wants to start. But of course you will not acknowledge that fact, only blather on about his selfishness and his wanting to start. Which highlights the indisputable axiomatic and ridiculous fact - The Kings Got Nothing for Isaiah Thomas. NOTHING. No Thing. If you get nothing for a valuable asset in the NBA, what does that make you exactly? And if you play the harpy about Thomas's wanting to start knowing that he's been the best player on the Suns and the fact that the Suns had to pay NOTHING to get him from Kings, what exactly does that make you?

the problem with isaiah thomas in sacramento was always one of fit. the kings were thin at PG (still are, in fact), and they simply couldn't justify leaving thomas in a more appropriate role as a sixth man. he became a starter in sacramento for lack of options...

unfortunately, thomas' size creates all kinds of problems in a starting role. he's always had consistent difficulty fighting through screens, and a great many of the league's PG's enjoy shooting right over the top of him. hell, even on offense his size creates problems. he had difficulty throwing simple entry passes to demarcus cousins during his time here. there were many instances where thomas legitimately had to leave his feet in order to squeeze a pass to cousins in the post. and that's before we even get to thomas' affinity for hero ball, which causes him to shut out his teammates and trash the game plan in favor of his own shot. when you're winning, you can survive those things. if the losses pile up, however (as they often did for the kings), IT's style of play can breed some resentment in the locker room...

isaiah thomas is a great scorer, of course. eviscerating second units is his specialty, and he'll always play at a very high energy level. but he's a serious defensive liability as a starter in a league that's stacked at the PG position, and he can plague an offense with his desire to pound craters into the court. that said, playing in a flexible PG rotation with goran dragic and eric bledsoe is good for thomas, because it means that there's always a legitimate starter in front of him; short of injury to both dragic and bledsoe, the suns will never have to justify thomas' place on the bench, and they can keep feeding him the canned "on 29 other teams, you'd probably be starting" line to soothe his ego. and make no mistake, phoenix knows it has a game of ego management to play with those three guards. bledsoe got his payday, dragic has his payday forthcoming, and thomas carries a massive inferiority complex with him wherever he goes...

isaiah is an extremely dynamic sixth man, and he will thrive in that role for the suns as long as they are able to keep him in that role. as a sixth man, IT gets to be IT; he gets to score at will, and he's given leeway to deviate from the gameplan. as a starter, however, he becomes a more frustrating entity. a coach will always demand much more from a starting PG than a backup, and thomas is not always interested in meeting demands that exist outside of his own shot. thomas has a me-first mentality, and when he's given license to be himself, he's one of the most impressive offensively-inclined guards in the league. but that me-first mentality can be damaging to the team if used in the wrong capacity. at the moment, phoenix is doing it right: bring isaiah thomas off the bench, where he can do a lot of damage just by being himself, rather than play him as a starter, and make him less effective by trying to mold him into something he's not...

My take is that IT was not a problem here and his play was not due to a "bad fit." The problem was he was the 1 and only guard who was any type of threat whatsoever on the team. IT was not a problem last year. In fact, he was one of the very few things that was right with the team. However, his burden was way too heavy given that our other guards were abysmal at best.

Of course the Suns are happy with him. He is good and looks even better when surronded by other competent guards.

I think that is working out best for everybody. Suns are happy, IT is happy and we have a better looking backcourt overall than we have had in years (which makes me happy).

Glenn

Hall of Famer
First, welcome to Kingsfans. We like to see fans of other teams come around once in a while (except Laker fans ;) )

Now, on to IT.

It's not that most of us don't like him. It's that most of us truly believed he could be 6th man of the year and wanted him in that role. Because of the roster situation and some players who didn't work out at the 1, however, he became our starting PG and it just didn't work. We had 28 wins... not because of IT, but because our starting 5 just didn't gel.

Isaiah can be an incredible asset, but the same talents that can lead to 28 points can lead to terminal iso ball that drove us nuts. (And don't get me wrong - there are people here who still support IT and think it was a mistake to allow him to leave. They just aren't in the majority.)

I am not going to address his need to be needed because - HELLO? - we freaking gave him a chance when we drafted him with the last pick in the draft. He got his chance in the NBA because of the Sacramento Kings. It would be nice if he acknowledged that once in a while, you know?

I hope IT works out for you guys but I will give you a bit of advice - don't be too convinced quite yet that he's all that and a big bag of chips. You may think that it's enough that he gets the closing minutes but he will never be completely happy until he starts. It's been his life goal.

As far as why he had a bad game against us, I don't think it was about his grandfather. I think he was too wrapped up in "proving" us wrong. One thing that fuels IT is proving people wrong. He's had to do it his entire life and when facing the Kings I think it got into his head.

Again, I bear IT no ill will. Most of us wish him no ill will. Speaking for myself, however, I just got tired of it always being about IT. He can't help it but his need for approval and validation overrides his basketball common sense at the most inopportune times.

Good luck - except when you're playing us. :)
....and there is more to basketball, especially at the PG position, than scoring points. He is incredible at scoring. The Kings lost with him at the helm.

This IT stuff is fricken hilarious. So he wants to start? Sin of sins in the NBA. Heaven forbid. I wonder if Sessions wants to start? I wonder if Stauskas wants to start? What about Landry? GET THEM OFF THE FREAKING TEAM THEN - THEY WANT TO START!

Look, the Phoenix fan has it right - Thomas has been the best player for the Suns so far this season. . Without him, they don't have as many wins, despite the fact he wants to start. And if you don't believe me, then you should have heard Napier when he remarked that the Suns coaches said Isaiah had been the best player on their team, despite the fact he wants to start. But of course you will not acknowledge that fact, only blather on about his selfishness and his wanting to start. Which highlights the indisputable axiomatic and ridiculous fact - The Kings Got Nothing for Isaiah Thomas. NOTHING. No Thing. If you get nothing for a valuable asset in the NBA, what does that make you exactly? And if you play the harpy about Thomas's wanting to start knowing that he's been the best player on the Suns and the fact that the Suns had to pay NOTHING to get him from Kings, what exactly does that make you?
Not sure who you are arguing with, but when people make an issue of the starting thing, it is because numerous people have said we could have signed him to backup DC as if that were ever an option. That's why it keeps coming up.

No one was happy we got nothing for him. Everyone seems to agree on that point. You're arguing something no one disagrees with.

He could/should win 6th man of the year. I'm not sure anyone has denied that or said, yeah, it's awesome we got nothing for a perennial 6th man candidate. I really haven't heard that from anyone.

He's in a good spot, playing well. He has talent around him that masks his deficiencies. It's a great fit. He wasn't a good fit with Boogie or Rudy. He had to go. It's not that complicated. Just cause a guy doesn't fit here doesn't mean he can't fit on a team like the Suns that really has no bigs. He doesn't need to feed the post, cause the suns don't have a post threat. His limitations aren't a problem. There IS a reason he plays under 25 mpg.

I don't fault the guy for wanting to start. Truly.

The problem is saying it, especially when you're in a situation with an established team who has had success with the two guys ahead of you and has no plans to make a change. If there's a change, it'll be through a trade. The Suns aren't going to reverse course after signing Bledsoe (more than double what they're paying IT), and 10-15 games into the new contract turn around and start IT over him. And dragic? Third team all NBA. He'll get traded before they bench him.

So, what purpose do those comments serve? In an article about the mentality it takes to be a sixth man, you've got IT standing out as the only one saying he wants to start when he's in a situation where he'd only start through injury or trade. It's odd. Maybe that is the only mentality that works for him. It's not very team oriented to announce you want to take someone's job. And that's basically why I was against him being here.

Last edited:

"That's my plan," said Thomas
, whose current production (16.9 points, 4.4 assists, two rebounds and 24.4 minutes per game) is outpacing Bledsoe's (14.1 points, 5.1 assists, 4.1 rebounds and 31.0 minutes per game).
He's outplayed All NBA star Goran Dragic and the $70M man Eric Bledsoe by far. IT has been the best player on the Suns this season imo. Such an efficient player, and he is #1 in the league in offensive +/- and probably #1 in pts per minute.
It's good IT's plan to compete with his teammates is slowly working out again. I hope he succeeds.

I can't wait for him to be the starter for the Suns and see one of Bledsoe or Dragic or any other starters on that team get frozen.

Maybe Dragic would want to go somewhere else like the Kings?:D

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Maybe Dragic would want to go somewhere else like the Kings?:D
Not to deviate too much from the thread, but:
I think Dragic + Collison make a fine backcourt.
Who do you give up to get Dragic? I don't know that they'd want an SG in return. As such, our options are likely limited, unless they want someone like Landry. All this is pure sausage anyway, as I don't think they'd move Dragic, and I don't think they'd send him to Sacramento.

I don't know how much Dragic is getting now or how the trade will work. I'll probably give our PF with the lowest basketball IQ plus Hollins.
First, I agree with VF21, take it to the trade thread.

Second, what?! Why would PHX do that? Here are our two worst players, can we please have your all NBA PG? Thanks. :)

IT struggled with Charlotte's D last night, as did most of the suns. Whenever he was in the Suns got shredded defensively. -11 on the game. Suns blew a 14 point first quarter lead at home and ended up losing by 8. Ouch. Even with the 3 headed guards, good D just slowed the game down. IT played 19 minutes. 2-7, 9 points, nothing else of note. Really not his kind of game. Playoff style.

Same quotes as before in the article below, but it goes into detail of why him being a starter in Phx just isn't going to happen. And the infighting among the fans is eerily familiar if you read the comments. Some love his competitiveness, some think he should shut up. Sometimes in the same comment, like this one.
" love the competitive fire inside of IT
But I just think if he has such a big problem with coming off the bench it is kind of bad for the chemistry of the team. He has been very successful playing off the bench and with Green. He is getting starters minutes when he plays well so I don’t get the problem."

Why didn't IT go to the lakers? He could have put up crazy numbers. Him and Kobe could take 50 shots a night.

As for the endless debates, I really think this comes down to old school basketball watchers, who watch HOW a guy gets points, vs the new sabermetric types who think all that matters is the results, the numbers. I'm old school. Of course, both matter. It's just harder to argue things like chemistry and feel for the game.

I say this sincerely, the best thing IT can do is just shut up about it. You don't have to answer every question. Have some sense man.

http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2...sixth-man-isaiah-thomas-really-wants-to-start

Last edited:
I'm sure Sessions wants to start, but notice we haven't heard a peep out of him on that front. Does IT think he's the only bench player in the league who wants to start? Bench players all over want to start but only one keeps talking about it ad nauseam.

Last edited:
Idk again, I think he's just more open and vocal than other bench guys.

He's again the biggest cheerleader on the Suns. Nobody cheers harder when their on the bench than IT.

Yesterday there was a play in which Dragic fell to the ground and play was stopped. There are other Suns players around a Dragic and yet IT was the first and only one to sprint and help Dragic up.

I honestly love this kid for us. I'm probably gonna get myself an IT Suns jersey for Christmas.

It's the best of both worlds. Collison has been amazing for yall thus far too.

Idk again, I think he's just more open and vocal than other bench guys.

He's again the biggest cheerleader on the Suns. Nobody cheers harder when their on the bench than IT.

Yesterday there was a play in which Dragic fell to the ground and play was stopped. There are other Suns players around a Dragic and yet IT was the first and only one to sprint and help Dragic up.

I honestly love this kid for us. I'm probably gonna get myself an IT Suns jersey for Christmas.

It's the best of both worlds. Collison has been amazing for yall thus far too.
It's always a split with him. Some will love him, some won't. That's part of the IT package.

If you love him, enjoy. Don't listen to us bitter Kings fans. :)

Not to deviate too much from the thread, but:
I think Dragic + Collison make a fine backcourt.
Who do you give up to get Dragic? I don't know that they'd want an SG in return. As such, our options are likely limited, unless they want someone like Landry. All this is pure sausage anyway, as I don't think they'd move Dragic, and I don't think they'd send him to Sacramento.
We're keeping Dragic but give us McLemore and Landry plus a lotto protected 1st for Bledsoe.

May need to add fillers to match salaries but yea.