Is Willie Cauley-Stein still an option at center for Sacramento Kings?

• Thread starter NBC Sports BayArea
  • Start date

The sad thing is he COULD (with some work and effort) be a top 3 defensive center in the NBA. He has the physicality for it better than most, but it shows up here and there inexplicably and sporadically. The lion's share of defense is will, but there is strategy and technique for defense. It'd probably be easier for Stein to improve his defense before FTs%, requiring focus.

You look at Gobert (probably best defensive center right now) and Stein has easily the same or better physicality/athleticism , but,......<sigh>.............

Last edited:
The sad thing is he COULD (with some work and effort) be a top 3 defensive center in the NBA. He has the physicality for it better than most, but it shows up here and there inexplicably and sporadically. The lion's share of defense is will, but there is strategy and technique for defense. It'd probably be easier for Stein to improve his defense before FTs%, requiring focus.

You look at Gobert (probably best defensive center right now) and Stein has easily the same or better physicality/athleticism , but,......<sigh>.............
The crux of the problem is that he doesn't want to be that. I am sure the Kings would love him to be that top 3 defensive big man who rebounds, blocks shots, plays great D on the perimeter and gets his offense from scraps and by rim running.

Problem is that WCS wants to be a #1 scoring option on the team. He sees himself as a unicorn type player. He compared himself to Porzingis. The issue is that Kings want one thing from WCS and he wants to be something completely different. It simply just is not going to work because neither party will lower their expectations.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Damn. I should have done a screen grab.

It basically refuted a post who said Kings fans support WCS and want him back by saying REAL Kings fans want him back IF he'll come off the bench (even though we'll have to overpay him to keep him) or words to that effect.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Al Horford looking to get 25-30 mil a year for 4 years at 33 years old. Averaging 13pts 7reb.

Maybe we should rethink WCS who is 25 and has increased his stats each year, this last getting 12pts 8 reb

I mean he is 5th option no matter who is on the court with us But I also get that we want spacing for Bagley. A signed and traded Willie might be an option for us with somebody. He may be worth 15mil a year?

Can wills be traded draft night? Without offer extended. Giving the new team the option?

Al Horford looking to get 25-30 mil a year for 4 years at 33 years old. Averaging 13pts 7reb.

Maybe we should rethink WCS who is 25 and has increased his stats each year, this last getting 12pts 8 reb

I mean he is 5th option no matter who is on the court with us But I also get that we want spacing for Bagley. A signed and traded Willie might be an option for us with somebody. He may be worth 15mil a year?

Can wills be traded draft night? Without offer extended. Giving the new team the option?
There's a lot more to Horford's game than 13 and 7. You know that.

WCS has age on Al Horford but he does not bring veteran leadership, locker room presence, team first attitude or willingness to play the lesser role for the team.

Just curious. What are your reasons for thinking Cauley-Stein “gels” with this team?
Seems to like his teammates, also when playing D he can almost read minds of his teammates when a switch is happening, and he knows when FOX will get him the ball for an easy transition dunk when leaking after a rebound. When the Kings were playing well he was part of the reason in my opinion.. I know there are people here that don't want him in Sac, but as a running/transition center he seems to be pretty good with his teammates..

I don't know what will happen with the new coach though. For all we know he might slow the game down and play some team defense.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I’m actually a bit relieved as I thought there was a chance the center market may evaporate with centers going elsewhere and then we fall back on WCS.

Dave tweeted this:

Out of that list, I’d like Adams, Dedmon or Boogie.
If the Kings somehow resign Boogie I will throw the biggest party ever for myself.

Adams should absolutely be Target #1 though,

If the Kings somehow resign Boogie I will throw the biggest party ever for myself.

Adams should absolutely be Target #1 though,
Adams is a bruiser and a rebounded, but he has the same weakness as WCS when pairing him with Bagley, he cannot shoot. The C to play with Bagley needs to be a rim protector and a floor stretcher. Thats what would maximize Bagley's gifts. But I don't think we will get one...

SLAB

Hall of Famer
He has his faults but I would not say he sucks. I think he was pretty good and improving...
The thing about him is he SHOULD be so much better. He has the physical tools that anyone else could only dream for... except his head was constantly dancing in the clouds.

There’s a chance he could maximize his potential somewhere else, and I’m honestly okay taking the risk. I don’t think he has the mind to be great.

WCS was never gonna be in Sacramento next year even without this statement. Dallas was going to miss on the big fish and Vooch and would have made an absurd offer to WCS we shouldn’t match.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
lets hope the new guy grabs more than 8.5 rebounds per game and makes more than 56% of the shots he chooses to take...
FG% with Willie isn’t fair. Dude can’t score unless set up right on the basket. He’s in no way a threat and teams used it against us.

For example Say Boogie shoots ~45%, it’s a worse percentage but at least teams have to be honest with him which would open stuff up for others.