Inconsistency is the Norm

I'm tired of having my hopes and expectations dashed by a lackluster team. Artest can come through in a pinch, but now seems to be succumbing to the team malaise more than leading in a new direction. Bibby usually comes through but seems to have developed some sort of attitude, almost confrontational with the media, at times. Miller has developed hoop-phobia and, for all his millions, won't even take a chance at missing. Even if they can hold on to #8 in the playoffs, so what. They're hardly going to win an NBA championship this year. I say, "call it a year" and regroup and hopefully come up with a solid, competitive group next season.

This team is almost designed to be completely inconsistent -- other than Shareef (but only when starting and playing 30+ minutes), there's not a single player you can depend upon for a consistent effort from game to game. Every player, from top to bottom, can give you 30 points one night and 2 the next.

One night Martin looks like the second coming of George Gervin, the next he looks like he doesn't belong in the league. One night Brad Miller looks like Vlade with a jump shot the next night he looks like Joe Klein.

And, at the heart of the team, you have two players who have been maddeningly inconsistent for most of their careers. Bibby's entire game hinges on his jump shot -- if it's falling he magically plays defense and hustles and makes plays and passes. If it's not falling he keeps shooting. And shooting. And shooting. And shooting. And the rest of the game disappears. Artest gives you consistent defense, but he's either helping the offense or single-handedly destroying the offense. There doesn't seem to be any in between.

It doesn't make for a very happy viewing experience.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
You gotta wonder if Artest is 100%. In past few games he has not jumped at all and hardly goes to the basket like I thought was his speciality. And he seems to be all jump shots (without jumping much too). That hip pointer could still be a problem for him as he just does not look like he is moving right.

And Miller in the middle is more like Casper the Ghost in the middle. Kings seem to make all-stars out of ordinary centers in the middle. 'Course, there is not much weak side help either. Again, one wonders if Artest's hip is slowing him down on quickness.

The consistency issue is the biggest issue of all. I don't think it is 100% players nor 100% coach. But the coach may be a bigger % than we want to admit. The new player mix got really pumped up in the first 15 games with Artest but seem now to have slid back to old habits. Again, should not the coach do something about that?

Ronnie Price at PG needs to be tried. Jamal at the 4 or 5 is not a solution for sure but off the bench maybe some help in the middle? But coach doesn't try it. ?????

I agree on the last part, though if Hart has games like last night, I'm fine with him getting minutes again (he's had a bunch of solid games off the bench on the season). Which he will based on Rick's comments in the Bee articles, and in Audio #2 on kings.com. Minus the bad shooting, as he usually makes at least 2 of his shots. Jamal could def. help in the middle and at least be more of a prescence than Brad usually is. Also is 6'11" and athletic.

I do remember, recently from a couple games Artest clutching the hip a few times during them. Though haven't really seen that the last 2 or 3. I think the guys were just damn tired last night and settled for things, unexpectedly.

Last edited:
I just think that since Artest came, people got so used to the winning that when we lose, its like the end of the world.

COME ON! your gonna lose once in a while

I can just imagine your guy's reaction if we have a 10 game winning streak to end off the season.

its no longer "close the books on this one" but itll be "we actually have a chance!"

and how about that time when people on this forum used to say "Every team in the playoffs right now is fearing us" i bet you since we've been losing a lot lately, you guys take that back.

"oh wow were the hottest in the league right now" -after winning a couple games

"lets call it a year and close the books on this one" -after losing a couple games

pshh... amazing how people change their minds by the snap of the finger.

-_-

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
There are no minutes for Jamaal with Reef off the bench. And as a three time waivee, I simply cannot complain about him being underutilized. I remain intrigued, but he may not even be in the NBA next year.

Price...this is Ronnie Price here. That's clearly not why we are struggling. Hart has actually been good off the bench in the last couple, and Garcia was helping before the injury.

Complaining about our 12th and 13th men while we struggle is just...?

What I do think may have happened is that Rick really shortened the rotation to try to make a playoff push -- and you know what? It WORKED. We are in the playoffs, and have a very good chance of remaining in the playoffs. But in the process we have burnt up so much energy that its similar to many games where one team makes the big comeback -- you just run out of energy at the end because you had to spend so much just to recover. In some ways, with Memphis and the Lakers beginning to pull away for #6 and #7, the tiredness may not matter that much here in the regular season. Utah and the Hornets have shown little ability to catch us. And so then it just becomes a question of whether we can catch our 2nd wind in time to at least make it competitive against the #1 seed rather than a quick dismissal.

Last edited:
N.U.F.A.N. said:
I just think that since Artest came, people got so used to the winning that when we lose, its like the end of the world.

COME ON! your gonna lose once in a while

I can just imagine your guy's reaction if we have a 10 game winning streak to end off the season.

its no longer "close the books on this one" but itll be "we actually have a chance!"

and how about that time when people on this forum used to say "Every team in the playoffs right now is fearing us" i bet you since we've been losing a lot lately, you guys take that back.

"oh wow were the hottest in the league right now" -after winning a couple games

"lets call it a year and close the books on this one" -after losing a couple games

pshh... amazing how people change their minds by the snap of the finger.

-_-
Highly agree with most of that.

After this loss, I saw all the usual type of threads come up. Like this one, the purple-tinted glasses one, two-glaring weaknesses, scrub career-high thread (haven't seen one of those type of threads or discussion in awhile, actually), posts in the playoff thread/grades thread.

Have to remember that Kevin/Bonzi we were without, that's a bunch of points, athleticism, hustle, rebounding, defense and keys to how we've played well - gone.

Last edited:
Seems like most agree with my observation. It's too bad when, instead of the excitement of winning on a regular basis, you mostly hear this excuse or that excuse about the causes for the loss--from the players, from Adelman and from cheerleaders Grant & Jerry.

Kings113 said:
Have to remember that Kevin/Bonzi we were without, that's a bunch of points, athleticism, hustle, rebounding, defense and keys to how we've played well - gone.
But the Warriors didn't have Baron Davis. Plus they're the Warriors.

nbrans said:
But the Warriors didn't have Baron Davis. Plus they're the Warriors.
They haven't had Baron Davis for awhile, aka since before the all-star break (played a few games in between now and then). Also beat the Mavs without him, who also weren't at full strength with three key guys out in Griffin/Howard/Harris, also three of their best defensive-players.

Regardless, neither team (especially Sac) weren't at usual strength.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Kings113 said:
Regardless, neither team (especially Sac) weren't at usual strength.
Uh..you've got that especially on the wrong spot. Baron, for all his erraticness, is the guy that makes them dangerous. When they have been dangerous. Whihc is not all that often.

Bonzi/Kevin is little excuse in comparison. None at all for the completely flat play of most of the rest of the team.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
xelxock said:
Seems like most agree with my observation. It's too bad when, instead of the excitement of winning on a regular basis, you mostly hear this excuse or that excuse about the causes for the loss--from the players, from Adelman and from cheerleaders Grant & Jerry.
There are a total of less than 15 responses to your post. I hardly think it's a ringing endorsement of your opinion...

I did some checking. I have yet to see you post ANYTHING positive about this team, the Maloofs, etc.

Nice to see you return to get in one more little dig...

:rolleyes:

Have a nice day.

Bricklayer said:
Uh..you've got that especially on the wrong spot. Baron, for all his erraticness, is the guy that makes them dangerous. When they have been dangerous. Whihc is not all that often.

Bonzi/Kevin is little excuse in comparison. None at all for the completely flat play of most of the rest of the team.
I already explained why I mentioned Bonzi and Kevin, and stand by it.

About Baron Davis, yeah he's a great player and is what got everyone talking about them. They haven't had him for awhile though.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Kings113 said:
Highly agree with most of that.

After this loss, I saw all the usual type of threads come up. Like this one, the purple-tinted glasses one, two-glaring weaknesses, scrub career-high thread (haven't seen one of those type of threads or discussion in awhile, actually), posts in the playoff thread/grades thread.

If you actually think this is a championship caliber team right now, then more power to you.

I have been a fan of the Kings since they first stepped foot into Sacramento. I have seen BAD teams. I have blessed to see GOOD teams and we're always talking about THE team. I think I was being pretty honest in my evaluation of the current group in the purple-tinted glasses thread.

There's nothing wrong with accepting that your team has weaknesses. Yes, we'll scream our heads off and be ecstatic when they win, but I'm not going to put money on their chances in the playoffs.

N.U.F.A.N. hasn't said anything earth-shattering. What was pointed out was that fans change their minds. Well, doh... That happens between the first and fourth quarters of games, let alone between games or weeks.

People come here to vent, they come here to celebrate. They'll be happy and on cloud nine after a victory, and depressed and sad after a loss - especially a loss that looked as bad as last night.

Through it all, they still remain fans. If some people don't want to read about the failings, etc. of the team they should simply state away after a loss...

VF21 said:
If you actually think this is a championship caliber team right now, then more power to you.

I have been a fan of the Kings since they first stepped foot into Sacramento. I have seen BAD teams. I have blessed to see GOOD teams and we're always talking about THE team. I think I was being pretty honest in my evaluation of the current group in the purple-tinted glasses thread.

There's nothing wrong with accepting that your team has weaknesses. Yes, we'll scream our heads off and be ecstatic when they win, but I'm not going to put money on their chances in the playoffs.

N.U.F.A.N. hasn't said anything earth-shattering. What was pointed out was that fans change their minds. Well, doh... That happens between the first and fourth quarters of games, let alone between games or weeks.

People come here to vent, they come here to celebrate. They'll be happy and on cloud nine after a victory, and depressed and sad after a loss - especially a loss that looked as bad as last night.

Through it all, they still remain fans. If some people don't want to read about the failings, etc. of the team they should simply state away after a loss...
Never said this was a championship caliber team, hence my post in the "purple-tinted glasses thread". Rest of the post is known stuff, indeed.

My post was just in relation to the loss to the Warriors.

Last edited:
A

AriesMar27

adel man needs to give fewer minutes to bibby, artest and miller.... between hart and vtaly need to play.... and bibby and miller need to rest.... hell play price....

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
AriesMar27 said:
adel man needs to give fewer minutes to bibby, artest and miller.... between hart and vtaly need to play.... and bibby and miller need to rest.... hell play price....
That's really easy to say...or type. But right now Adelman has to go with what he's been given. There is such a severe drop off in talent when you go past the 7th man on our bench that when we have any injuries (or ejections) we are totally and completely screwed.

So VF21 "did some checking". Who the hell are you, Big Brother? When I post anything, I try to pass on my personal opinion and observations, not just regurgitate everything a corporate spokesperson might say. You seem to be among the exclusive "cheerleaders".

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
xelxock said:
So VF21 "did some checking". Who the hell are you, Big Brother? When I post anything, I try to pass on my personal opinion and observations, not just regurgitate everything a corporate spokesperson might say. You seem to be among the exclusive "cheerleaders".
LOL!

Exclusive cheerleaders? Interesting. You might want to check the archives for things like "A Cautionary Tale" and more recently, the thread I started yesterday about taking off the purple-tinted glasses.

As far as the checking I did goes, all it takes - and ANYONE can do it - is to click on your user name and when the drop down menu appears, select the "find more posts by xelxock." Your posts seem to be primarily anti-Kings in nature.

Last edited:
B

beemerr23

xel is posting what he thinks, so what? I do the same and get called ignorant for it because I'm not the typical "GO KINGS!" poster, I just often times point out what we lack and people don't like to see it. keep doin what ur doin though xel, it's all good.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
xelxock said:
I appreciate the supportive post from Beamer but it seems to have been deleted....hmmmmm.
If that's what's most important to you, then I will restore the "supportive post" from beemerr23. Unfortunately, this thread has now deterioriated to where it isn't really about anything germane to the board.

I stand by my comments that looking at the majority of your posts gives the impression you don't really post any kind of supportive comments yourself, but choose instead to come around when you can post negative comments about the Maloofs, the team itself, etc.

If you really want interesting discussion, etc. try coming around and posting when things are upbeat...It's a lot more fun.

;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
beemerr23 said:
xel is posting what he thinks, so what? I do the same and get called ignorant for it because I'm not the typical "GO KINGS!" poster, I just often times point out what we lack and people don't like to see it. keep doin what ur doin though xel, it's all good.
Oh please. You give yourself way too much credit. You "often times point out what we lack and people don't like to see it"? There are a myriad of posters around here who make in-depth, intriguing analyses of the team, what THEY PERCEIVE to be the problems (yes, it's all about perception - much as the whole tempest in a teapot over the "ignorant" comment), and people either agree or disagree.

To lump us all into the category of typical "GO KINGS!" poster is ignorant. There is as diverse a group of fans here as you'll find anywhere on the Internet. Instead of continuing to harp about what you do and don't do, etc. try making some more posts. Instead of talking about what you do, DO IT. Put your opinions out there with everyone else's and let them garner what responses they may.

At the risk of being labeled some kind of "GO KINGS!" homer, as if that's bad or something, I will say...

GO KINGS!!!