Improvements

I am going to start a topic on what everyone thinks each players weakness is what needs to done to improve their play. I will not include our new members because I have not seen them enough to critize.

Brad Miller: The biggest improvement that Brad needs to make is be more aggressive on the defensive and offensive ends of the floor. There is many of times I see him pass up a shot or go for a rebound in traffic or even box out effectively. This must improve especially with CWebb gone we need more intensitity on both ends of the floor.

Mike Bibby: What Bibby needs more improvement is on the defensive end. He is not the quickest point guard out there so that limits him in many ways. But what he needs to improve on is his positional defense. He need to position his self more on the defensive end more then anything. I think with more pratice and game film studing he can get better on the defensive end.

Pedja Stojakovic: Where to start first he needs to be more aggressive on the offense demanding the ball more when he is on. He needs to play with more passion and fire like the game we saw last year with the Grizzlies. He needs to drive to the basket more and learn the post offensive if he to get rid of the tough defenders that seem to bother him. The last but certianlly not lest HE NEEDS TO PUT EFFORT IN REBOUNDING THE BALL MORE. Rebounding is 80% effort 20% skill.

Mobley: he needs to be more carefull with his decision making with the ball. That will take time since he is relatively knew to our team.

Ostertag: He needs to get in shape period. He needs to work out more and earn his money.

House: He needs to play with confidence. He needs to become a more aware defender. We need his defensive abilities.

Evans: We need his defensive intensitity especailly on this team. We need a person who will fight for the ball no matter were it is on the floor or in the air.

Martin: We need him to improve his all around game and especailly defensive. He is not needed right now on this team, but in the near future he will have to be ready when his name is called.

Last edited:
"Pedja Stojakovic: Where to start first he needs to be more aggressive on the offense demanding the ball more when he is on. He needs to play with more passion and fire like the game we saw last with the Grizzlies. He needs to drive to the basket more and learn the post offensive if he to reid of the tough defenders that seem to bother him. The last but certianlly not lest HE NEEDS TO PUT EFFORT IN REBOUNDING THE BALL MORE. Rebounding is 80% effort 20% skill."

"Where to start"???? It sounds as if you think that Pedja needs to improve more than anyone on the team. I agree that he needs to rebound the ball better, but in his defense he can demand the ball all he wants, but if the person with the ball doesn't pass him the ball then that's not his fault. I think that when Pedja comes back we will all see the Pedja of old rather than the Pedja we have seen this year...although it's not as if he has been horrible this year. I think that too many people have forgotten that when healthy Pedja is one of the most prolific offensive threats in the NBA. Although I love Webber and was sad to see him leave his absence will help Pedja flourish...just look at what he did last year during the first 58 games when Webb was out with injury and suspension.

Diabeticwonder said:
"Pedja Stojakovic: Where to start first he needs to be more aggressive on the offense demanding the ball more when he is on. He needs to play with more passion and fire like the game we saw last with the Grizzlies. He needs to drive to the basket more and learn the post offensive if he to reid of the tough defenders that seem to bother him. The last but certianlly not lest HE NEEDS TO PUT EFFORT IN REBOUNDING THE BALL MORE. Rebounding is 80% effort 20% skill."

"Where to start"???? It sounds as if you think that Pedja needs to improve more than anyone on the team. I agree that he needs to rebound the ball better, but in his defense he can demand the ball all he wants, but if the person with the ball doesn't pass him the ball then that's not his fault. I think that when Pedja comes back we will all see the Pedja of old rather than the Pedja we have seen this year...although it's not as if he has been horrible this year. I think that too many people have forgotten that when healthy Pedja is one of the most prolific offensive threats in the NBA. Although I love Webber and was sad to see him leave his absence will help Pedja flourish...just look at what he did last year during the first 58 games when Webb was out with injury and suspension.
But you see what I am talking about is now and what he needs to do inorder become a better player for the team. And yes he still needs to be more aggressive and need to add post presence in his game if we are to win. There is pressure on Pedja more then ever and he needs to deliver if we are to win it all. This is his oppertunity to prove to all of the doubters that he has what it takes to reach his full potenial and become a player he is born to be.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Diabeticwonder said:

Peja actually MAY have more to improve on than any other player on the team, especially if he wants to make any sort of claim to being the best player on the team/star. He also has the single greatest skill of any one player on the team now (his shot) -- once we had passers every bit as remarkable in their uniqueness, but now it is Peja's shot which stands out the most. But when you have that shot attached to a measely 4.2rebs 1.9ast 1.1 stls you've got a LOT to work on to be complete, and a lot more you could do to help the team.

Feel free to add anymore imput on how our players need to improve apon. I am interested in what you guys think the areas in which each player has to improve apon. It will give me atleast a better understanding on how each of you views our current team.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
AleksandarN said:
Feel free to add anymore imput on how our players need to improve apon. I am interested in what you guys think the areas in which each player has to improve apon. It will give me atleast a better understanding on how each of you views our current team.
I don't think your list was bad at all.

I would add "Confidence" to Brad's tally though. Vlade and Webb ran the offense with great confidence. I think many were hoping/expecting that Brad could step in and do the same. But he's never shown much confidence, nor the sort of intellectual control of the game his two predecessors had where you could throw them the ball and let them see the game and make something happen. Would be a GREAT boon to our team if he shot, passed, ran the offense with confidence and verve rather than continuing to try to play the lieutenant.

Miller and Martin need to improve their confidence. Sometimes they "float" without being aggressive in pursuing shot opportunities or the chance to create something with the ball in their hands. They need to realize how talented they really are.

Evans needs to work on his ballhandling (something Christie suggested to him earlier this season). He has the quickness and finishing ability to get to the basket, but he doesn't handle the ball well enough to break down most defenders and doesn't handle the ball in traffic. If improves in that category I think he can be good enough to be NBA-starter quality.

Mobley needs to slow down, sometimes he seems too anxious to hit the big three pointer, make the daring drive for a bucket or the perfect pass. Most of the time, he just needs to slow down a beat and he'd finish more of those plays.

Bibby needs to find some way to stop the ball. We've been getting killed by guards who just push the ball into the paint in transition. He used to do a better job of it, I don't know what happened. How much of it is physical, being worn down? Sometimes it seems like he's overly aware of his lack of quickness compared to certain guards and it affects the way he approaches his man without the ball.

House needs to be more patient on offense, don't be afraid to take a few dribbles before his first shot and he needs to use his quickness more often on defense.

I'd like to actually see Peja start PLAYING again before I can make an accurate critique on where I think he is as far as his weaknesses! :rolleyes:

BTW AleksandarN...love your avatar! Simons face when some of those people (the tone deaf ones that is) start singing is just priceless. He looks like he just took a sip of sour milk. :D

Last edited:
Bibby: Conditioning. Bobby's gone. You need to maintain a high energy level throughout the game, because you won't have a whole lot of time on the bench to trim your nails. With Peja out, you're our number 1 scorer, and primary offensive threat. We simply won't put enough points on the board if you don't maintain a high energy level throughout the game... and show up every game

Brad: Finally you have somebody else to block shots for you in the starting lineup. Now do your Tim Duncan impression, and gobble up them boards like candy. Shoot the ball a little bit more too, we need the offense, and who's going to want to try and block your shot?

Peja: A lot of pressure is on you now. A LOT of pressure. Get in the game! Psych yourself up! You know you're capable of it, you can go through periods of time where you want the ball every time, and it goes in every time. I've seen it happen! It'd be nice if you went through one or two of those moods a game.

0-tag: Develop some offensive skills. We're not expecting Vlade out of you, the offense probably will never be run through you. But it'd be very nice to have somebody to pass it to down low that can put the ball in the basket.

Diabeticwonder said:

With CWebb no longer on the team, I think it now falls on Peja's shoulders as the most "talented" member of the team, and with that little moniker comes a lot of expectations.

Brad Miller: The biggest improvement that Brad needs to make is be more aggressive on the defensive and offensive ends of the floor. There is many of times I see him pass up a shot or go for a rebound in traffic or even box out effectively. This must improve especially with CWebb gone we need more intensitity on both ends of the floor.

Brad needs to attend some kind of assertiveness semimar or something....he has sucha an aggressive mantality when it comes to fighting for a lose ball or a rebound but then he's super passive when it comes to taking his own shot....which is frustrating for EVERYONE to see....I agree with Brick he needs to have confidence in hiself when it comes to taking the shot....i mean yes some nights it isn't gonna fall...but he shoots sucha high percentage for him to just not shoot...i wish i had a quarter for every time he was in position for a good shot and passed it up or when he was in position for a good shot and stood there for like 5 seconds hesistating "should i shoot...nah...wait should I...no...well maybe...errr...okay" ---that cannot happen...its rare in a situation like that that he actually makes the shot...

Brad shoot the ball babe

Pedja Stojakovic: Where to start first he needs to be more aggressive on the offense demanding the ball more when he is on. He needs to play with more passion and fire like the game we saw last year with the Grizzlies. He needs to drive to the basket more and learn the post offensive if he to get rid of the tough defenders that seem to bother him. The last but certianlly not lest HE NEEDS TO PUT EFFORT IN REBOUNDING THE BALL MORE. Rebounding is 80% effort 20% skill.

or that game he played this year against the Utah Jazz...that was lovely...i never saw the game last year against the Grizz...heard all about it though...sounds like the same Peja as in the Utah game only against the Grizz he got his career high

I Gotta Good One ...

Skinner's free-throw shooting !!!

I mean when Grant said Brian was shooting 29% and HOLD ON TO YOUR SEATS - GET READY FOR THIS .... my first thought was "No Way !!!".

But, Brian had a good game vs the Bobcats .... you know he ain't gonna be in there crunch-time for an in-bounds pass.

Get to work Mr. Carrill .... your expertise needed

All are great suggesions, especially the ones about Mobley, but I wanna add something for Brad.

I'll use the famously annoying words of my most hated announcer......"Throw it down big man, throw it down!"

Over the last few months, most noticably in those "questionable goaltend call" games, he went for the chance Lay-up when a dunk wouldv'e guarenteed the goal. Dunk it man!

And I'm still questionable on why Martin is a good pickup for this team. I wish that someway he wouldv'e gotten sent to Philly instead of Barnes. Anyone care to enlighten me on what exactly he brings to this team?

Bibby: Take your time shooting FT's, square your shoulders on jumpers, pickup your man higher so if you get beat our help defense can react easier, let the bad calls go.
Brad: Use your butt more to box out, don't hesitate to shoot, develop a postup game, let the bad calls go.
Peja: Save the fall away shot for specific situations, fake the three and pull up for the two, go to the rim when shooting around the basket, develop a postup game, block out on defense.
Thomas: More passing drills in practice, think soft hands.
Corlis: Use left hand more to double chances of scoring while rolling to the basket from the right instead of always from the left, using the right hand. Passing drills.
Skinner: Work with Pete C on FT shooting technique, Passing drills.
Cat: Take it to the hoop more often drawing more FT's. Like Peja, fake the three and pull up for the two jumper.
Evans: Don't be so quick on the trigger for the three's, let them come within the flow of the offense.
Martin: Be first one to practice and last one to leave...and then go hit the weights.
Songaila: Be more aggressive on the boards, box out better.
Tag: Get into shape.
House: Go over the screens instead of under, continue to allow your shots to come within the framework of the offense.