I'll never forgive Petrie for ... (split)

FINE.

Saw Petrie at Chevy's on the River once. He ordered a grapefruit daiquiri. I will never forgive, nor forget.
Well that is unforgivable.

I was just referencing any mention of that weasely what's his face. Those years along with the final year or two of Maloofs never happened.

Well that is unforgivable.

I was just referencing any mention of that weasely what's his face. Those years along with the final year or two of Maloofs never happened.
There was a great tradition when I was in college that could help here. On Ivy League football weekend, the staffs of the respective student newspapers would have a touch football game. Subsequently both sides would report on their glorious victory. Every newspaper team had a years-long winning streak. If it's in the media, it must be true, right?

Something like that could be used to declare the end of the Maloof years no longer exist.

There was a great tradition when I was in college that could help here. On Ivy League football weekend, the staffs of the respective student newspapers would have a touch football game. Subsequently both sides would report on their glorious victory. Every newspaper team had a years-long winning streak. If it's in the media, it must be true, right?

Something like that could be used to declare the end of the Maloof years no longer exist.
This certainly beats trying to lobotomize it away.

I will never forgive Petrie for not trying to stick around and make sure we drafted Giannis. He TOLD Vivek about him. Made his recommendation and then vanished into the sunrise.

Screw you Petrie!!!

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I for one will never forgive Geoff Petrie for drafting Jason Williams instead of Dirk or Paul Pierce.
I wanted to give this 10 likes. What made the pick even worse was that Petrie went against his principle rule of drafting the best player available, not the position. He admitted as such in his comments to the media.

Early on, I had little to complain about. By the time things to complain about could no longer be ignored, it had stopped being clear what was him and what was the Maloofs. He had become Schrödinger's GM, simultaneously dead and alive, and I was never going to get to look in the box. I have accordingly both forgiven and not forgiven him for all of it.

In hindsight it's obvious that both those players went on to have better careers than JW. But Dirk averaged around 5 pt's a game his rookie year, and the Dallas fans wanted to run him out of town. Hmmm, sounds familiar! JW was exactly what the Kings needed at that time. He and the Kings were on the top 10 plays of the night almost every night the Kings played. He had his flaws, but he helped put that team on the map...
My thoughts exactly. We needed the exposure and the flashiness of the White Chocolate helped bring us onto the scene. I liked Bibby too but J. Williams is how I'll remember basketball when I'm in my 60s recounting the NBA to the grandkids.

Petrie should have left or made very loud noises the moment his draft choices has been ignored.
I remember the man was very high on Kawhi and yet Kings ended up on with Jimmer.
No one can ever convince me that Tyreke Evans was GP’s top guy back when the KINGS drafted him. He was a Magoof pick. In the years leading up to the relocation saga, they became more and more involved in all facets. Remember the emotional speech Gavin Magoof made defending the selection?

IMO firing Petrie, trading for Artest and drafting Tyreke were classic examples of bowing to Magoof pressure. Steph Curry was way more the type of player GP coveted. He always preferred skilled players that could shoot and pass. And they worked Curry out multiple times and really liked him. However the Magoofs were won over by Tyreke’s ability to best all the other PG prospects in 101 drills. SMH.

No one can ever convince me that Tyreke Evans was GP’s top guy back when the KINGS drafted him. He was a Magoof pick. In the years leading up to the relocation saga, they became more and more involved in all facets. Remember the emotional speech Gavin Magoof made defending the selection?

IMO firing Petrie, trading for Artest and drafting Tyreke were classic examples of bowing to Magoof pressure. Steph Curry was way more the type of player GP coveted. He always preferred skilled players that could shoot and pass. And they worked Curry out multiple times and really liked him. However the Magoofs were won over by Tyreke’s ability to best all the other PG prospects in 101 drills. SMH.
Petrie was not fired by the Maloofs.

He was not retained in favor of the services of Pete D by the new ownership group. Probably a power point presentation.

To piggyback that, Tyreke literally was a Petrie pick. And Petrie was fooled enough to make the pick.

Tyreke was a horrible interview. It was easy to see he was a kid being given money (I-80 says hello to his fast Mercedes) without a brain. Tyreke had all of the potential and none of the brain (look to DFox and his sophomoric jump). If Fox had Tyrekes body....Fox has speed as a killer and Tyreke had his body/control.

If Tyreke had half the brain/work ethic of Fox...

Oops. Wrong again. ;)

Rick Adelman wasn't fired. They simply declined to renew his contract. It expired and he left.
Wrong twice in one thread = banishment from thread? Lol.

IDK why but I always seem to choose to misremember that event. Not the first time it’s happened, probably won’t be the last time.

I suppose my excuse is, the Magoofs unwillingness to allow GP to re-sign him is akin to firing him. That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it ;) lol

Since this is about Petrie's effect on the team, I wanted to work in how he brought his old coach, Pete Carril, to Sacramento to be Yoda.

My only problem is that I can't think of any sentence that begins "I'll never forgive Petrie for ..." that applies here. When I was watching his teams in college, I was sure that if he had comparable talent he could beat anyone. The Kings were proof of concept in a spectacular way, and we all got to watch.

He was Petrie's pick. Geoff was absolutely glowing after the pick was made, I don't think he is that good of an actor.
I am fine with the pick, I didn't want either Rubio or Flynn. In hindsight, I'd still rather have Reke than those two. Yes, the rumor at the time is that Jonny Flynn was the guy they like after Reke. I don't buy that Petrie liked Curry. He got burned with the Douby pick and Curry is the same mold as Douby (obviously way more talented), and the linear way he thinks means he just equated Curry with Douby. I knew before the draft that there was no way in hell Curry would be drafted by the Kings.

https://www.sactownroyalty.com/2009/6/25/925746/geoff-petrie-on-tyreke-evans

Last edited:
1) For letting Vlade retire in LA jersey and not Sacramento
2) For trading C-Webb to Philly, even though we still had chance to go deep in playoffs that year. More importantly, we didn't get any real talent in return, which was the most frustrating to me at the time
But then we wouldn't have had Greg Ostertag or the "flexible pieces"!

After watching the Toronto game, I have to say it: One of the things I will never forgive Petrie for is turning down the offer of Kyle Lowry for the #5 pick. And then used that pick on Thomas Robinson. At a time when the Kings didn't have a PG but did have a couple of bigs. Decision like that is how teams are stuck perpetually near the bottom.