If Webber stays healthy, deal looks like steal

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/basketball/10985356.htm?1c

If Webber stays healthy, deal looks like steal

[size=-1]By Marc Narducci[/size]

[size=-1]Inquirer Staff Writer[/size]

The early consensus seems to be that the 76ers pulled one over on the Sacramento Kings by acquiring five-time all-star Chris Webber along with forwards Michael Bradley and Matt Barnes for Kenny Thomas, Corliss Williamson and Brian Skinner on Wednesday.

The consensus also seems to be that the 76ers improved themselves with the addition of forward Rodney Rogers, who was acquired yesterday, along with Jamal Mashburn from the New Orleans Hornets for forward Glenn Robinson.

Mashburn, sidelined by a knee injury, is never expected to play for the 76ers.

Webber, who turns 32 on Tuesday, will earn $17.5 million this year and is scheduled to earn $19.12 million, $20.7 million and $22.3 million, respectively, over the next three years. Webber will be worth the investment if he can stay healthy.

To some, that is a big question mark. Webber averaged 21.3 points, 9.7 rebounds and 5.5 assists for the Kings in 46 games this season. But he hasn't enjoyed the same explosiveness since undergoing micro-fracture surgery on his left knee; that procedure caused him to miss the first 50 games last season.

"Webber doesn't practice a lot and playing back-to-back games is a problem," an NBA Eastern Conference executive said yesterday. "The big thing is the knee. What happens as he gets older?"

Sacramento general manager Geoff Petrie, a product of Springfield (Delaware County) High, addressed the injury issue in a phone interview yesterday. Some have described Webber as "playing on one leg."

"He has missed eight games this year and he has had some soreness and hasn't played at times," Petrie said. "There are times when his practice time is limited, but you can say that about a lot of players in this league. What is most important is what happens at 7 o'clock."

Many NBA games tip off at 7 p.m. Webber's game productivity after that time can not be questioned.

"He is not the Chris Webber who you saw playing at [the University of] Michigan, but he is the Chris Webber who is averaging 21 [points] and [nearly] 10 [rebounds]," Sixers president and general manager Billy King said. "And there are not a lot of guys doing that."

Given that productivity, Petrie was asked about his reasons for trading Webber. Was it Webber's knee, his age, his contract, or all of the above?

"It really comes down to our team is changing," Petrie said. "With the nucleus we had for so long, there is always the sense of wanting it to be the way it was when it can't be the way it was. I think we helped our depth on our front line, which we really needed."

Webber is considered one of best passing big men in the NBA.

"You have a guy with a very high basketball I.Q.," King said. "Sacramento has a very good passing team and Chris was a big part of it."

If Webber stays healthy, the Sixers are a much more formidable team than they were before the trade.

"From Philadelphia's standpoint, it adds a star in Chris Webber, which in their hopes will complement Allen Iverson," New Jersey Nets general manager Ed Stefanski said. "From that standpoint, you have two very good players."

As I've mentioned in other threads, I think this was a no-brainer from Philly's perspective. If they don't make this deal, AI gets more disgruntled, the team probably misses the playoffs (not that there is a guarantee that the team will make the playoffs with CWebb), and next year AI is 30, which is getting up there for guy that relies largely on his athleticism to overcome the fact that he is 5'10", 160.

But it's not as if there aren't benefits from Sacramento's perspective as well.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
No brainer maybe but there is a big risk that Webb will NOT stay healthy, and even if he does with he and Iverson both making max long term conrtacts the well is now dry and will be for some time to come. If it works this year great, but immagine ho thins will be in 2-3 years with each againg star pulling 20 mill and probalby not haveing the best games of their careers.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
HndsmCelt said:
No brainer maybe but there is a big risk that Webb will NOT stay healthy, and even if he does with he and Iverson both making max long term conrtacts the well is now dry and will be for some time to come. If it works this year great, but immagine ho thins will be in 2-3 years with each againg star pulling 20 mill and probalby not haveing the best games of their careers.
Actually, by year 3, its again fine because those guys will have big ending contract value. There's really only a two year gap here -- nest year, and the year after, when they could suffer if it goes wrong. This year its already a winner for them, no matter what happens, jsut by reenergizing the fan base and developing a buzz. And in the final year they may very well be able to trade the guys off to teams looking to shed salary (or just keep them and shed salary themselves).

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Ok 2 years. But we seem to be in agreement that the move was motivated by ticket sales as much or more so by anything else. Belive me I am NOT saying Philly got a bad deal... but lets also be honest about the risks, costs ans rational behind it.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
HndsmCelt said:
Ok 2 years. But we seem to be in agreement that the move was motivated by ticket sales as much or more so by anything else. Belive me I am NOT saying Philly got a bad deal... but lets also be honest about the risks, costs ans rational behind it.

The pieces they traded are SO disposable that I just don't see the enormous risk for them. They could win 39 every year with them and be totally irrrelevant as Iverson ages (and maybe even asks to leave), or they could take a chance with an upside of 50+ wins, and a downside of...not much worse than the 39 wins really. Even if he's hurt I wouldn't be surprised if Webb couldn't win more games for them in 50 games a year than the whole crew coming to Sacto can be responsible for in 82. Furthermore you can get Kenny Thomases and Brian Skinners every year in the FA market with the $4.5mil exception if you want to and they already more or less replaced Corliss with Rodney Rogers.

keyword of the millenium is..... .... .. . . . *drum roll* .... ...

.. . . . . .... can you think of it yet? .. .. .. .. . *more drum roll* . ..... .. ....

....... yes, its that word ... . . *drum roll won't stop* .. .. .. .

IFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

If I am not mistaken, Chris has a player option after the 5th year...what if a) he can't do it anymore, the knee etc., is too much and he has to end it himself before it ends him? b) realizes he can help the team by opting out and signing to a smaller contract? It could happen....or not. But, take this into accout too, Webb recently said that after last season he was really close to retiring and even went into game 7 vs. Minny with the notion that this might just be his last game. What if the pain becomes too intense...Philly reaches some sort of agreement (don't know all the interworkings of contracts, buy outs etc) and they are left with a whole lot of cap room and still have their young guys to work with.

Last edited:
funsc said:
Is next year the 5th year?
Why couldn't Kings wait until next year if so?
I think if Kings waited for next year...there's even more chances Webber will not get traded because he'll be a year older, still not 100% (do you think Webber's health will get better?) and his salary goes up more. No teams want to get a player like that...too risky.

Last edited:
N

NJKingsFan

Twix said:
I think if Kings waited for next year...there's even more chances Webber will not get traded because he'll be a year older, still not 100% (do you think Webber's health will get better?) and his salary goes up more. No teams want to get a player like that...too risky.
I really think the Kings could've traded Webber this offseason and had gotten something better than the overpaid combo of role players they just got. I really dislike the notion of closing the window all the way, effectively ending any hopes at a title by making the trade now.

No doubt, if he stays healthy, its a steal. BUT, webber has reached his climax a long time ago. How long till he reaches rock bottom, and how many more years of his contract. I'm guessing it will be another year or two when he becomes virtually inffective/very banged up. At that point the sixers are stuck with a huge contract (along their alreay big AI contract) with little cap space left.

Kings-Lakers-Fan said:
No doubt, if he stays healthy, its a steal. BUT, webber has reached his climax a long time ago. How long till he reaches rock bottom, and how many more years of his contract. I'm guessing it will be another year or two when he becomes virtually inffective/very banged up. At that point the sixers are stuck with a huge contract (along their alreay big AI contract) with little cap space left.
That day would come. Everyone has a day like that, sooner or later. All I know is that he would never go to your lakers!